What Will People Do For Food When Much of Europe And North America Is Too Cold to Farm?

akgrrrl

Welcome. also,
wow fabulous thank you very much
I added it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDlu0ZSW3-w

to my survival list
Good one !

U-pick farms are becoming more real. After ww2, a group of people replied to a govt experiment as homesteaders to see if farming was possible in Alaska. A wide valley with mountain ranges that had shed volcanic minerals for millenia was selected, and the Army blazed a road thru the Canadian/Alaska wilderness. That settlement and the skills those pioneers brought, served to create mass veggies and fruits in the 20hrs sunlit summers. It helped to establish military bases and a core of settlers who eventually became the Alaskans to develop the Oil and Gas Industries as well.
I go to one such farm called Pyrahs U-pick. Several of us careshare to this valley as a day trip, and each carry coupla 6gal buckets. We split up. I might fill my buckets with beets then cabbage, which I would take home and can into pickled beets and plain, sauerkraut, relish, and plain. Others might be getting different varieties of squash, raspberries or whatever.On the way out, a set price per pound is paid when the full buckets are weighed and the tare subtracted. Somewhere down the road we have a luncheon and swap inventory. I offer this as a possible option when you are not an experienced gardener, but can learn to can fairly quickly.

LA

Welcome. also,

U-pick farms are becoming more real. After ww2, a group of people replied to a govt experiment as homesteaders to see if farming was possible in Alaska. A wide valley with mountain ranges that had shed volcanic minerals for millenia was selected, and the Army blazed a road thru the Canadian/Alaska wilderness. That settlement and the skills those pioneers brought, served to create mass veggies and fruits in the 20hrs sunlit summers. It helped to establish military bases and a core of settlers who eventually became the Alaskans to develop the Oil and Gas Industries as well.
I go to one such farm called Pyrahs U-pick. Several of us careshare to this valley as a day trip, and each carry coupla 6gal buckets. We split up. I might fill my buckets with beets then cabbage, which I would take home and can into pickled beets and plain, sauerkraut, relish, and plain. Others might be getting different varieties of squash, raspberries or whatever.On the way out, a set price per pound is paid when the full buckets are weighed and the tare subtracted. Somewhere down the road we have a luncheon and swap inventory. I offer this as a possible option when you are not an experienced gardener, but can learn to can fairly quickly.
sounds good although I must confess that since I am really into protein I hope someone starts a come-and-get-it we already did the hard work and it is hanging in deep freeze. U-pick it up from our storage and getitouttahere (grin)

akgrrrl

sounds good although I must confess that since I am really into protein I hope someone starts a come-and-get-it we already did the hard work and it is hanging in deep freeze. U-pick it up from our storage and getitouttahere (grin)
Uh, Peat says potatoes are one of several wonderful protein sources...i got myself a book on potatoes 18 ways...and sweet potatoes...carrots...yams...parsnips...beets...

akgrrrl

hunting in Canada will sustain the people for quite a while. No shortage of game... We just need to ensure the winter doesnt kill us....
Hey Inaut do you have as much beetle killed spruce in Canada as we have? And are you under restrictions to take it for firewood or milling?

LA

Potatoes would be great although I become stuffed up, constipated and miserable whenever I eat potatoes. My husband does not like eating potatoes due to negative after effects. He now avoids them. I never eat any starch although my husband 'sometimes' eats 100% Organic Durum Semolina products including any pizza or pasta he discovers that is made with it. We both avoid potatoes like the plague. In June 2017 someone posted a thread “Potatoes Aren't Peaty” and the poster wrote that Dr. Peat does not actually eat potatoes due to being allergic to them.
Hopefully one day Dr.Ray Peat will someday confirm whether he does or does not eat potatoes. It would be great if he gave a sentence or two on the topic in his next broadcast with Georgi Dinkov and Danny Roddy. Their last interview is on you tube and it is very interesting.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals