What Vegetables Do You Eat?

barbwirehouse

"Generally, fruits, roots, and tubers provide a high concentration of nutrients along with low concentrations of toxic antimetabolic substances."

If I'm not mistaken, Peat is fond of carrots, turnips, beets, potatoes and squashes.

Carrots (I drink oranges and apples).

nikotrope

barbwirehouse said:
"Generally, fruits, roots, and tubers provide a high concentration of nutrients along with low concentrations of toxic antimetabolic substances."

If I'm not mistaken, Peat is fond of carrots, turnips, beets, potatoes and squashes.

They can be beneficial in some contexts but he always says that fruit sugar should be preferred. I drink orange juice and apple juice too. I may eat potatoes occasionally. Each time I eat a carrot salad my digestion seems to stop for several hours.

nikotrope said:
barbwirehouse said:

They can be beneficial in some contexts but he always says that fruit sugar should be preferred. I drink orange juice and apple juice too. I may eat potatoes occasionally. Each time I eat a carrot salad my digestion seems to stop for several hours.

I make sure I eat it after a meal or away from meals, and I grind it finely.

jaa

I eat carrots, potatoes, spinach, kale, and broccoli regularly.

pboy

you are what you eat right? no thanks on being a vegetable!

though...carrots have made appearances

I figure you can get anything out of greens with carrots with less irritation unless you needed them for protein...or to balance calcium

My carrots come out orange, so not sure about the becoming a carrot part!

pboy

LOL...yea for me too, I kind of am glad it means not so much carotene is going in

Potatoes almost daily. No butter or oil added. I simply salt to taste, and sometimes add onion and garlic powder. I eat up to 10 large potatoes in one day. Peat said in an interview that potatoes have a higher quality of protein than eggs do.

nikotrope

Such_Saturation said:

Even away from meals, it stops my digestion for so long it will mess with my next meal. That was the case the last few times I tried, but I will probably try again in the future as I think my digestion is faster since last time.

nikotrope said:
Such_Saturation said:

Even away from meals, it stops my digestion for so long it will mess with my next meal. That was the case the last few times I tried, but I will probably try again in the future as I think my digestion is faster since last time.

Well, my own digestion slows if I skip the carrot for more than one day. The body really adapts to milk and all that is left is a dry compressed brick. So, either a carrot or a spoon of coconut oil will allow good function.

Aspekt

Westside PUFAs said:
Potatoes almost daily. No butter or oil added. I simply salt to taste, and sometimes add onion and garlic powder. I eat up to 10 large potatoes in one day. Peat said in an interview that potatoes have a higher quality of protein than eggs do.

Why no fat added? It's delicious and helps mitigate the harmful effects of starch.

Daimyo

I munch on kale, a leaf or two every other day. On top of that amaranth greens, carrots, tomatoes, onion, Thai basil.

Aspekt said:
Westside PUFAs said:

Why no fat added? It's delicious and helps mitigate the harmful effects of starch.

For a few reasons. I get bad blood sugar reactions when I eat starch with cream. When I say cream, I'm referring to anything made out of cream like cheese, sour cream, butter, etc. I was always disappointed that I could never eat potatoes and rice without getting bad blood sugar reactions but when I ate them with no cream, I did not get the reaction. Also, for me, I store cream very easily on my adipose tissue. I wish it wasn't the case but it is. I can eat up to 10 large potatoes in one day. If I added cream to all of those, it would be too much fat. Peat said too much butter can make you fat, in one of the herb doctor interviews, and for me, he's right.

"There isn't anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches. For example, fruits have many advantages over grains, besides the difference between sugar and starch." - RP

There is a difference between grains and potatoes. Rice is a grain but white rice is virtually toxin free and is a good glycogen replenisher. There is also a difference between starch foods that are made from flour products, which 99.9% of the time are also made with oil, and starches like rice and potatoes.

Doesn't rice have the arsenic? Plus most rice has higher glycemic index than sugar, and Jasmin has it higher than PURE GLUCOSE. I think the fat might simply be letting more of the endotoxin in the system, causing the reaction.

Nicholas

per eating potatoes: i always felt sluggish after eating potatoes fresh cooked....but when i started roasting them and eating them cold everything was fine. a month later i found out that this is part of the "resistant starch" movement.

tara

Semi regularly (not every day, not large quantities):

Well cooked: onions, garlic, ginger, potatoes, zucchini, capsicum, spinach, silverbeet, broccoli, mushrooms (I know, fungi not vegetables), sweet potatoes, pumpkin

Raw: tomato, cucumber

Occasionally random others, eg taro, celery, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi

Runenight201

Today I was feeling pretty sluggish, for a reason I couldn't quite pin point. I've been struggling with milk on/off for a while. Sometimes I can drink it and feel very good from it, other time's it makes me feel very nauseous and out of it. I began thinking from an evolutionary pre-agricultural standpoint how we would have had to consume large amounts of vegetables in order to have adequate calcium intake for a healthy metabolism.

So I decided to experiment with lots of different raw leaves. I tried raw lettuce, which was ok. Raw kale and raw turnip greens were absolutely positively disgusting. I had a visceral feeling of disgust eating them. I promptly threw them out to the rabbits.

I then ate a handful of raw spinach, and what I can only describe as an immense feeling of good taste, nourishment, and sense of well-being. I proceeded to eat much more, and I feel a million times better. I will continue to experiment with eating lots of raw spinach, on top of a normal peaty diet, for I think it does me good. I think it makes complete sense to find a leaf that agrees with you, and to include ample amounts of it in the diet. If calcium is as important as Peat says, either every single pre-agro man was hypothyroid or leaves are good for us :)

I hate vegetables at this point. Don't know why but I just am not attracted to them so I'm not eating vegetables.

@Runenight201 good if you enjoy that. But I'm not so sure it makes complete sense for humans to eat raw leaves. I doubt that it is. Dr. Peat has always cautioned against salads because the leaves are indigestible and result in a lot of endotoxins.

I think @Travis has been eating raw kale. But I have no interest in veggies at the present time. I used to love kale but now I can't stomach it at all.

Sobieski

Today I was feeling pretty sluggish, for a reason I couldn't quite pin point. I've been struggling with milk on/off for a while. Sometimes I can drink it and feel very good from it, other time's it makes me feel very nauseous and out of it. I began thinking from an evolutionary pre-agricultural standpoint how we would have had to consume large amounts of vegetables in order to have adequate calcium intake for a healthy metabolism.

So I decided to experiment with lots of different raw leaves. I tried raw lettuce, which was ok. Raw kale and raw turnip greens were absolutely positively disgusting. I had a visceral feeling of disgust eating them. I promptly threw them out to the rabbits.

I then ate a handful of raw spinach, and what I can only describe as an immense feeling of good taste, nourishment, and sense of well-being. I proceeded to eat much more, and I feel a million times better. I will continue to experiment with eating lots of raw spinach, on top of a normal peaty diet, for I think it does me good. I think it makes complete sense to find a leaf that agrees with you, and to include ample amounts of it in the diet. If calcium is as important as Peat says, either every single pre-agro man was hypothyroid or leaves are good for us :)
Vegetables have a positive effect on my cognitive function and despite their very low caloric density seem to provide a lot of energy (Butyrate perhaps?). For me it's about finding balance; consuming enough for their benefits without inducing compromised digestion.