What Vegetables Do You Eat?

Prosper

I often chop and boil potates & celery together. Tasty combination, especially with a bit of butter.

Runenight201

The way I see it, it really makes no sense not to eat them. We had to acquire our calcium through them pre-dairy, and so we’ve spent hundreds of thousands of years processing their anti-nutrients/toxins.

I think cooking is very important here as well. I’m made a veggie broth with kale and turnip greens, and I find that these vegetables are delicious mixed with carrots, onions, potatoes, salt, peppers, and cilantro whereas raw they are disgusting. I also feel much better consuming it, no doubt the salt, mineral, and physical heat of the broth help with that. I’m going to make it a staple, on top of the fruit, milk, and cheese.

jet9

Vegetables have a positive effect on my cognitive function and despite their very low caloric density seem to provide a lot of energy (Butyrate perhaps?). For me it's about finding balance; consuming enough for their benefits without inducing compromised digestion.
What vegetables have this effect for you?

Runenight201

@jet9 thttps://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/the-travis-corner.21611/page-76#post-370838

Above is a post where Travis wrote on a study about the correlations between various vegetable intakes and cognition.

In general, what I've got from that study and my own personal experience is the more and various, the better. There certainly is a threshold where my body will not want anymore vegetables or is simply not fond of certain ones, but I try and shoot for 2-3 servings of various veggies a meal (my current go too's are broccoli, spinach, and onion, lightly covered in butter and salted).

jet9

@jet9 thttps://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/the-travis-corner.21611/page-76#post-370838

Above is a post where Travis wrote on a study about the correlations between various vegetable intakes and cognition.

In general, what I've got from that study and my own personal experience is the more and various, the better. There certainly is a threshold where my body will not want anymore vegetables or is simply not fond of certain ones, but I try and shoot for 2-3 servings of various veggies a meal (my current go too's are broccoli, spinach, and onion, lightly covered in butter and salted).
Thank you Runenight

lvysaur

Everything, beans are good too if sprouted. The smaller beans are okay even when not sprouted.

Antonello

Today I was feeling pretty sluggish, for a reason I couldn't quite pin point. I've been struggling with milk on/off for a while. Sometimes I can drink it and feel very good from it, other time's it makes me feel very nauseous and out of it. I began thinking from an evolutionary pre-agricultural standpoint how we would have had to consume large amounts of vegetables in order to have adequate calcium intake for a healthy metabolism.

So I decided to experiment with lots of different raw leaves. I tried raw lettuce, which was ok. Raw kale and raw turnip greens were absolutely positively disgusting. I had a visceral feeling of disgust eating them. I promptly threw them out to the rabbits.

I then ate a handful of raw spinach, and what I can only describe as an immense feeling of good taste, nourishment, and sense of well-being. I proceeded to eat much more, and I feel a million times better. I will continue to experiment with eating lots of raw spinach, on top of a normal peaty diet, for I think it does me good. I think it makes complete sense to find a leaf that agrees with you, and to include ample amounts of it in the diet. If calcium is as important as Peat says, either every single pre-agro man was hypothyroid or leaves are good for us :)
Doesn't raw spinach left you with that dry feeling in the mouth and teeth from the oxalates?

Runenight201

Doesn't raw spinach left you with that dry feeling in the mouth and teeth from the oxalates?

Yea raw leaves are good as garnishes but i won’t eat them in mass quantities. That post I made I was pretty malnourished, so the fact that I ate something made me feel better.

Im a huge fan of boiled collard greens, mix them with some mushrooms and beef, maybe some eggs and cheese, grape juice/oj and that’s a powerful meal.

shepherdgirl

What does Dr. Peat think about parsnips? I think cooking carrots, especially in fat, makes the beta carotene more available. To avoid it, why not use parsnips or something?
Also what about spaghetti squash? a nice pasta alternative.

tara

tygertgr

A pressure cooker is key to easily making tasty and healthy vegetable dishes. You can toss all kinds of stuff in there, cook the heck out of it, season it to taste, and get a nutritious vegetable goop out the other end that makes you feel good. The pressure cooking eliminates a lot of potential problems. I think of out-of-season vegetables as a blank canvas onto which to add various flavors and seasoning: Cook the heck out of them, season them to make it taste good. Add spices & sauces and cheese/butter/olive-oil until you like it.

However, it is a crime to season or otherwise adulterate certain high quality in season vegetables. In August around here tomatoes and cucumbers from trusted local sources should not be cooked at all. Nothing but a pinch of salt is allowed. Similar deal for the plums and peaches. Cooking fruits and vegetables is a way to deal with a sub optimal out-of-season situation.

Del Monte make some noticeably high quality canned vegetable products. I source a case of that stuff, and a case of high quality canned mushrooms. It's super convenient to have canned and frozen stuff around, and I believe that if you are not sourcing directly from local farmers you are generally best off with canned and frozen. Then, two or three times a week into the pressure cooker I dump: the can of vegetables, a can of mushrooms, a few heaping table spoons of gelatin powder, and whatever else strikes my fancy. Options include: masa harina or rice for more calories, half a can of oysters, diced beats, spinach, cup of sprouted lentils, chopped onion, garlic cloves, a big chunk of parmesan cheese, tomato paste, a glug of nice olive oil. Whatever you feel. I hanker for broccoli sometimes and throw in half a bag of frozen stuff, or shave the tops off a fresh head. Also go to town with added seasonings. Options include: mustard (I like loads of Colemans powder), curry powder, soy sauce, mirin, sriracha. Whatever. It's hard to screw up. Just add stuff until it's OK.

Cook in the pressure cooker for an hour. This breaks down loads of potential toxins. Then simmer away excess water. I actually find it easier to put the stuff in the microwave for 45 minutes on level three to simmer away water.

Runenight201

A pressure cooker is key to easily making tasty and healthy vegetable dishes. You can toss all kinds of stuff in there, cook the heck out of it, season it to taste, and get a nutritious vegetable goop out the other end that makes you feel good. The pressure cooking eliminates a lot of potential problems. I think of out-of-season vegetables as a blank canvas onto which to add various flavors and seasoning: Cook the heck out of them, season them to make it taste good. Add spices & sauces and cheese/butter/olive-oil until you like it.

However, it is a crime to season or otherwise adulterate certain high quality in season vegetables. In August around here tomatoes and cucumbers from trusted local sources should not be cooked at all. Nothing but a pinch of salt is allowed. Similar deal for the plums and peaches. Cooking fruits and vegetables is a way to deal with a sub optimal out-of-season situation.

Del Monte make some noticeably high quality canned vegetable products. I source a case of that stuff, and a case of high quality canned mushrooms. It's super convenient to have canned and frozen stuff around, and I believe that if you are not sourcing directly from local farmers you are generally best off with canned and frozen. Then, two or three times a week into the pressure cooker I dump: the can of vegetables, a can of mushrooms, a few heaping table spoons of gelatin powder, and whatever else strikes my fancy. Options include: masa harina or rice for more calories, half a can of oysters, diced beats, spinach, cup of sprouted lentils, chopped onion, garlic cloves, a big chunk of parmesan cheese, tomato paste, a glug of nice olive oil. Whatever you feel. I hanker for broccoli sometimes and throw in half a bag of frozen stuff, or shave the tops off a fresh head. Also go to town with added seasonings. Options include: mustard (I like loads of Colemans powder), curry powder, soy sauce, mirin, sriracha. Whatever. It's hard to screw up. Just add stuff until it's OK.

Cook in the pressure cooker for an hour. This breaks down loads of potential toxins. Then simmer away excess water. I actually find it easier to put the stuff in the microwave for 45 minutes on level three to simmer away water.

I’ve never heard of someone using the microwave for that long.

Why not strain the resultant broth?

How would the antitoxins go away? Wouldnt the still reside on the vegetable after the water is evaporated, or does the cooking process destroy the antitoxins?

I like canned fruit. Guaranteed ripeness.

Waremu

Most vegetables make me feel sick. After not eating them for years and my health improving, I notice that personally I have more of an intolerance to them naturally than I used to. Some green lettuce leaves and herbs are a few exceptions. But the more bitter veggies make me gag.