What type of Eggs?

Nick810

In places with not a huge amount of organic produce, what type of eggs would you buy?

I don't usually eat eggs but thought I may incorporate them for their vitamin A benefits.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Eggs from pastured chickens fed no grains are the best.

narouz

Peat has said that
chickens, being non-ruminant,
will be crawlin' with PUFA.
Especially the Skin!

But he has also said that
chickens will reflect their diet.

I presume eggs will in turn reflect the diet of the mother chicken...?

So what if you get eggs from
Polyface in Virginia,
where the chickens are 100% free-range
and also continuously moved to new feeding ranges,
no feed at all...?

Peat has said that he at some point cut back to one egg every other day,
but he also seemed to indicate that he did not have a ready supply of great eggs.

Eggs are a bit of an enigma to me, within the Peat framework.
On the one hand they have a lot of good protein and great nutrients.
But on the other
they are apparently--
at least as measured on some charts--
scary-high in PUFA.

lousy with 'em.

I've read something by Peat where he advises someone: don't worry about PUFA in the short term; the nutrient value outweighs by far the PUFA worry angle.

narouz

Egg and Chicken Info

There can be a great difference between eggs from chickens that really have adequate pasture, and the standard ones, but the labels aren't likely to contain enough information. "Organic-free range" chickens in the US are usually fed soy and corn in a crowded outdoor pen. In the US I seldom eat more than one large egg per day, in Mexico where I know where the chickens live and what they eat, I eat more of them.

I think soft boiling eggs is probably best. Scrambling them probably does cause some heat damage, but the difference in vitamin content is too small to matter.

If you depend on chicken for your major protein, it will contribute to suppressing your thyroid and progesterone. Increased salt helps to increase your metabolic rate.

-Ray Peat
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011...ding-a-foundation-for-better-understandi.html

And this chicken & egg info, posted on this site,
http://raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
ultimately from Peat via several people:

- says chicken should be eaten no more than one meal every 10 days due
to toxins and PUFAs.

- eggs where the chickens are fed corn and soy should be minimally
consumed (for him 2 per week if that), and with one egg you need about
10 ounces of OJ to balance it (because egg protein is a powerful
insulin activator).

Lin

I don't understand this. Isn't OJ also a powerful insulin activator? Does this mean that if we have 2 eggs, we should drink 20 oz of orange juice?

J

j.

Lin said:
I don't understand this. Isn't OJ also a powerful insulin activator? Does this mean that if we have 2 eggs, we should drink 20 oz of orange juice?

OJ has potassium which can have a similar effect to insulin, so requires less insulin is secreted.

It's good to fill glycogen stores (sugar in the liver) with OJ or milk before consuming an egg so that its protein won't be converted to sugar.

The amount of OJ to combine with an egg I think varies from person to person.

freal

Charlie said:
Eggs from pastured chickens fed no grains are the best.

Actually, somebody mentioned Polyface farms, from which egg are pastured and the analysis of those egg show they are lower in saturated fat and higher in omega 3 that regular. Total pufa was not tested but I suspect its higher in pastured eggs. The omega 3 is extremely high in those eggs.

http://polyfacehenhouse.com/2012/01/farm-fresh-eggs/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals