What Type Of Copper Supplement To Take ?

Dave Clark

So how would it be beneficial if it provides only about 0.2mg copper ? :D
My understanding is because it is an ionized form of copper which can be absorbed better, plus when drinking it in the traditional way like the people from India do, it is done first thing in the AM on an empty stomach where it can sanitize the digestive system, without competion from other antagonistic nutrients. It is not a substitute for your daily copper intake that you would get from food, but an adjunct. Blog

Dave Clark

To anyone interested: this is the insert to the MitoSynergy copper powder product, which explains their recommendation on how to use it.

Attachments

• MitoSynergy.pdf
    450.7 KB · Views: 72

robertshaw

The most cost effective is the powder, however, you have to spoon the dose out with a micro-spoon (included). It's not that bad when you get used to it. I believe one spoon is 1 mg of copper. With the powder and the capsules, you have to make sure they are in a dry environment. If not, the copper will oxidize to a copper 2, which is not what you want. Also, you may want to think about drinking water from a copper vessel. That water is considered copper 0, which is supposed to be alright to consume along with copper 1 (according to Charles Barker). If you go on Facebook there is a group called Bioavailable copper that will give additional info. Here is more info aboot the ancient practice done by the Egyptians and Indians of drinking water from a copper vessel: Copper Water Bottle | Ayurveda | Health Benefits | Alkaline Water

Hi Dave, I was under the impression that copper in drinking water from copper pipes is bad. Does storing water in a copper container provide safer, or beneficial copper? How would they be different?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi Dave, I was under the impression that copper in drinking water from copper pipes is bad. Does storing water in a copper container provide safer, or beneficial copper? How would they be different?
I'm not speaking for Dave at all here. Studies show that when water is stored in a copper container for 16 hours, it leaches almost no copper into the water. So it will have to be stored for two or more days for a little to leach into the water to make a meaningful difference.

Dave Clark

I'm not speaking for Dave at all here. Studies show that when water is stored in a copper container for 16 hours, it leaches almost no copper into the water. So it will have to be stored for two or more days for a little to leach into the water to make a meaningful difference.
I have read that if you keep your water in copper vessels for 8 to 10 hours it will end up with 0.2 mg of copper. That is certainly not enough to make a difference for a daily supply, but it's just another way to get some copper. Food would still be the best source.

robertshaw

Thanks for the replies, guys. If the RDA is .9mg (males >19 yrs), then .2 would be 22%. Not too shabby, and it would be higher for longer periods of storage. My ceruloplasmin has been stuck at 19mg/dL for a few years, and I have some symptoms of deficiency such as creaky neck, so I'm looking to raise intake, and I can't stomach liver. This might be something worth trying. I guess it's a matter of monitoring symptoms and testing. I'm just uncertain whether this form of copper is the bad copper-2. Dave, you mentioned that Dr. Barker claims it is copper-0, which apparently is not harmful. I don't doubt him, but I haven't seen that anywhere else. Have you heard of people benefiting from getting copper this way?

Dave Clark

Thanks for the replies, guys. If the RDA is .9mg (males >19 yrs), then .2 would be 22%. Not too shabby, and it would be higher for longer periods of storage. My ceruloplasmin has been stuck at 19mg/dL for a few years, and I have some symptoms of deficiency such as creaky neck, so I'm looking to raise intake, and I can't stomach liver. This might be something worth trying. I guess it's a matter of monitoring symptoms and testing. I'm just uncertain whether this form of copper is the bad copper-2. Dave, you mentioned that Dr. Barker claims it is copper-0, which apparently is not harmful. I don't doubt him, but I haven't seen that anywhere else. Have you heard of people benefiting from getting copper this way?
I have not seen any feedback on the copper water regarding testing of copper/cerulo after drinking it, however, there is a lot of anecdotal testimonies, mostly from Indian people who have used this method for centuries. Copper is being used as a sanitizing metal, i.e. door knobs, etc., and I believe it may sanitize the water. Barker says it is alright, and I recently heard Morley Robbins say it was okay, but not the best way to get copper. Not sure what exactly copper 0 is, I would've thought it to be a copper 2 form, but they say not. If cost is not a problem, I would look into the dessicated beef liver capsules, I use the one from Perfect: Highest Quality Health Supplements - Acai Berry, Coconut Oil, Resveratrol, Spirulina & Chlorella, Rhodila Rosea This is the one Robbins recommends. Interesting to note though that one slice of liver can have up to 10 mg of copper, which makes two servings/week more than adequate. My problem is that I can't find organic grass-fed liver in my area, and I won't eat CAFO meats. I am going with Robbin's recommendations to get copper from food (or acceptable supps), and concentrate on eliminating things that stifle ceruloplasmin production (check his 'Root Cause Protocol', sans the cod liver oil, not sure why he likes that stuff, everything else makes sense) for now. If I find out anything more on the copper 0 or copper water, I will post it.

robertshaw

Thanks, Dave. Those are good ideas I'll investigate. I ordered the 28oz bottle from copperh2o. Also, post #27 of this discussion mentioned molasses. I was surprised to see how much copper it has, as well as other minerals. That might go well in my buckwheat porridge. If these don't work, I might try the mito powder. BTW, thanks for posting the related pdf. I'll post on my progress.

Dave Clark

Thanks, Dave. Those are good ideas I'll investigate. I ordered the 28oz bottle from copperh2o. Also, post #27 of this discussion mentioned molasses. I was surprised to see how much copper it has, as well as other minerals. That might go well in my buckwheat porridge. If these don't work, I might try the mito powder. BTW, thanks for posting the related pdf. I'll post on my progress.
Your welcome Robert. I always knew molasses was high in iron, never knew about the copper, thanks, I will look into that possible option for copper. Good luck with the ceruloplasmin.

ddjd

To anyone interested: this is the insert to the MitoSynergy copper powder product, which explains their recommendation on how to use it.
heres a pretty good lecture from charles barker the founder on the science behind mitosynergy copper

SOMO

Maybe this would interest you. I know some of us here on the forum use this product. Here is an explanation from the owner of the company Charles Barker:
https://www.mitosynergy.com/

Can we see a reference that Copper(0) is superior to “Blue Copper.” ?

Or a reference that Copper(2) is dangerous?

(A reference not by the manufacturer of MitoSynergy).

I watched that video btw and it did not make any good argument for why Copper 2 can not be supplemented.

Also that “water absorption test” is stupid because blood is a plasma, not just water and there are things called chylomicrons which transport fat around, so the blood is slightly liquid, slightly oily and slightly proteinaceous. Not water.

Dave Clark

Can we see a reference that Copper(0) is superior to “Blue Copper.” ?

Or a reference that Copper(2) is dangerous?

(A reference not by the manufacturer of MitoSynergy).

I watched that video btw and it did not make any good argument for why Copper 2 can not be supplemented.

Also that “water absorption test” is stupid because blood is a plasma, not just water and there are things called chylomicrons which transport fat around, so the blood is slightly liquid, slightly oily and slightly proteinaceous. Not water.
I haven't watched it recently, but if I recall, Charles is not saying copper 2 cant' be supplemented, just that it won't be utilized properly, with an increased risk of it being stored into tissues, re: copper toxicity. With this video, he doesn't site references, that I recall, you either trust his facts, or not. I couldn't find much in searches about copper 1 vs. copper 2, but it makes sense to me to go with the form found in food, not inorganic metals like chelated supplements or copper pipes, etc. I use beef liver for copper, and MitoSynergy on occasion, no real reason to get a chelated supplement when there are good forms readily available in food, and in MitoSynergy. Yes, MitoSynergy is expensive, but really, I don't think it is a necessary supplement if you are eating correctly, and not using copper antagonizing supplements like zinc, etc.

Beefcake

Hi, I want to start copper intake along with blood donation to reverse grey hair.

Problem is, I dont know what copper supplement works best . Which is it ?

Copper chloride, copper gluconate, copper heptanoate, copper oxide, coppermethionate, copper sulphate and dicopper oxide? What would ya chose ?

normal copper glycinate increased my ceruloplasmin so it works. So has normal copper done on pubmed studies aswell no need for mito

David PS

This is a very provocative thread. I did not know anything about the importance of the form of copper. I searched and found this recent article entitled "Avoiding Alzheimer’s disease: The important causative role of divalent copper ingestion"
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

The article makes a good case for getting the correct form of copper and also not getting too much copper from animal sources.

golder

This is a very provocative thread. I did not know anything about the importance of the form of copper. I searched and found this recent article entitled "Avoiding Alzheimer’s disease: The important causative role of divalent copper ingestion"
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

The article makes a good case for getting the correct form of copper and also not getting too much copper from animal sources.

Dave, what would you recommend the best form of copper is to take? Thanks!

David PS

Dave, what would you recommend the best form of copper is to take? Thanks!
I do not have any specific recommendations. I get all the copper I need from food sources, mostly from beef liver and gelatin. I like the taste of liver and I drink a cup of coffee within an hour of eating it to reduce the amount of iron I absorb. Cronometer: Track nutrition & count calories is a good source for determining if you are getting enough copper in your normal diet. If not, you can strategically add foods that are high in copper. There is a list of such foods at copper. I would focus on foods that are also low in PUFA.

I am interested in avoiding Alzheimer's disease and so I am avoiding opportunities to take metallic copper in the form of supplements.

Divalent Copper as a Major Triggering Agent in Alzheimer's Disease. - PubMed - NCBI

ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE IS, AT LEAST IN PART, A COPPER-2 TOXICITY DISEASE • JARCP The Journal of Aging Research & Clinical Practice

nbznj

I wouldn’t blame copper from animal foods. More likely that it’s a marker of elevated animal food consumption, which causes insulin resistance, which increases the risk of Alzheimer’s

Studies in humans show that those ingesting supplement pills containing copper, if they also eat a high fat diet, suffer rapid loss of cognition. Drinking water copper, and pill copper are both divalent copper, or copper-2. A recent study shows that food copper is primarily copper-1. There is an intestinal transport system specific for copper-1, and this copper goes to the liver, and is put into safe channels. Because mammals, including humans, ingested only copper-1, their systems evolved to safely handle copper-1. With development came copper plumbing and supplement pill ingestion, and copper-2 is now ingested. Some of it bypasses the liver, ends up in the blood free copper pool, and is toxic to cognition.

Breaking news: high fat diets and bad supplements wreak havoc on health. Who’d have thought.

Besides, the first study also blames INORGANIC copper from plumbing, not organic copper. Inorganic minerals are quite trash, I’d never supplement them (I do like a good B complex tho)

Infarouge

Reviving old thread. What experiences have Peaters had with liquid chlorophyll? It was quite popular in the early days of wheatgrass juice vitamin stores. Come to think of it I remember reports of gray hair fully reversed with it. I imagine wheat grass juice powder also has some.

ursidae

I have to stuff myself with beef and shrimp all day long to counter the copper from a couple of fruits and I'm still zinc defficient while you people are trying to supplement...tf