What Type Of Broth?

Discussion in 'Broth, Stocks' started by Dutchie, Apr 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

I read lots of people here making broth from chickenparts or oxtail. Yet today i saw a video of the healthyhome economist stating that broth made from a fishhead is most optimal bc the thyroid gland is still in it,stimulating the thyroid.
    A while ago i wanted to make broth from a piece of lamb,the broth turned entirely in jello/gelatin. Id put it in jars and into the freezer nc i thougth it would stay that way but its entirely hard&frozen so what to do?

2. HDD

HDD Member

Put in a pot on low and it will thaw and become broth again. I add a lot of salt for taste and sometimes butter.

3. OP
    Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Thanx 4 the advice:)

I was wondering if it be possible to make jellies/marshmellows out of it immediately,instead of having to make this with the powder?it be way cheaper as i have a ton of this stuff in freezer and am not much of a soup person,especially now with warm weather coming up.

4. HDD

HDD Member

Idk, Dutchie. You could "google" that idea. Gelatin dried in a package seems less gross.

5. Jenn

Jenn Member

Chicken neck also contains thyroid hormone.

6. bobbybobbob

bobbybobbob Member

This ordering drugs from dodgy internet sources is for the birds. Pounds of whole smelt fish (heads included) is dirt cheap and widely available. I would pay up to $500 out of my own pocket to have my homemade smelt broth tested for thyroid hormone. I would share the results. How would one go about doing this? Recommended labs? Approximate costs?

If some smelt head broth is rich with T3/T4 this strikes me as a supremely practical recommendation to be shared widely.