What To Eat With SIBO To Raise Metabolism?

P.G.Marjorie

Hi guys, my boyfriend is struggling with really bad digestion, bloated belly, brain fog, muscle ache, fatigue and low body temperature etc. for +15 years. He had stomach biopsy, but nothing revealed. We suspect SIBO for causing this bad absorption of food leading to low metabolism...{probiotics makes it worse, feeding the bad bacteria in the small intestine}
Milk products cause him nausea, sweating and anxiety. OJ is the same, lightheadness, stomach pain and bloated belly. He goes into ketosis pretty quickly even eating carbs, If he walks a lot and eat regular portions of food. Body temperature usually 35,8-36,4 in the morning. Sometimes gets to 36,8 in the evening for a short period of time. Poor sleep. Waking up early and urinating frequently when the body temperature is lowest. Meat makes him really cold and cause ketosis if eaten frequently.
Exercise makes his symptoms worse, gets colder afterwards and bad anxiety, cant sleep.
T3 cause him icy toes and doesnt feel well.
What would you suggest for him to eat, please?
Thank you for any advice :]

tomisonbottom

How much salt does he eat? Pretty much all foods will cause problems if you don't have enough sodium. It helps digestion. Have him try a salted hot choclate

OP
P.G.Marjorie

P.G.Marjorie

He salts to the taste. Its true that he feels bit better after salt. Maybe eating sugary foods could cause salt deficit...salt water with meals could help too? Thx.

Queequeg

Has he been diagnosed with a methane/hydrogen test? If it is SIBO, treatment with a set of anti-bacterial herbs actually works better than the standard anti-biotics. I wrote about it here if interested. SIBO Treatment Protocol

here is source for the protocol: Herbal Antibiotics

Last edited:
I also think there is something to trying taurine. It increases volume of bile acids and this is good for SIBO I think.

A mixture of garlic and onions, raw, starting slow, may be very useful.

Orion

Sublimed sulfur (flowers of sulfur) can be beneficial and have a antibiotic affect on the upper intestine.

Suggested dosing is 5g(1tsp)/day for 3 days, most health food stores carry it.

Has he tried: lactose free skim milk, honey, white sugar, clear apple juice (lower pectin levels then OJ), raw carrot away from other food

OP
P.G.Marjorie

P.G.Marjorie

Has he been diagnosed with a methane/hydrogen test? If it is SIBO, treatment with a set of anti-bacterial herbs actually works better than the standard anti-biotics. I wrote about it here if interested. SIBO Treatment Protocol

here is source for the protocol: Herbal Antibiotics
Thanks, I will look into that...No, doctors seem to ignore this test and just do biopsy or colonoscopy

OP
P.G.Marjorie

P.G.Marjorie

Sublimed sulfur (flowers of sulfur) can be beneficial and have a antibiotic affect on the upper intestine.

Suggested dosing is 5g(1tsp)/day for 3 days, most health food stores carry it.

Has he tried: lactose free skim milk, honey, white sugar, clear apple juice (lower pectin levels then OJ), raw carrot away from other food
Trying everything with mixed results. Sometimes ok, sometimes not.

DaveFoster

keith

Bacteriophages could possibly help. RP seems to have taken an interest in the lately. https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/ray-peat-email-advice-depository.1035/page-17#post-200430 He also mentioned in another email or two, and I think maybe in a radio interview. I'm guessing perhaps we'll see a newsletter about it in the not too distant future. I don't suspect SIBO in my case, and have had sort of mixed results in my own experience, but it may be worth trying. The reviews on Amazon seem pretty good for the most part for the suggested and other similar products.

Charcoal may be another thing to check out, and maybe even the first if he hasn't tried it. It seems to work wonders on stopping, or at least reducing gas, bloating, and general intestinal distress. I might start there to at least give him some relief. You can buy it in powder form if pills give him trouble; I prefer it this way, mixed with water, of course, but drink it with a straw to avoid black teeth, gums, and lips.

tara

Charcoal may be another thing to check out, and maybe even the first if he hasn't tried it.
I reckon that's worth a try too.
You can buy it in powder form if pills give him trouble; I prefer it this way, mixed with water, of course, but drink it with a straw to avoid black teeth, gums, and lips.
I haven't been doing it very often, but I too prefer to drink the slurry - easier and cheaper to get a decent amount in. I don't bother with a straw though, I just brush my teeth after and figure it gets them extra clean.
Do wear black underwear for a couple of days afterwards, though.

PGM, what is he managing to eat?

Other than experimenting to find foods that may be easier for him, maybe also consider aged cascara sagrada as a way to reduce gut inflammation?

OP
P.G.Marjorie

P.G.Marjorie

I reckon that's worth a try too.

I haven't been doing it very often, but I too prefer to drink the slurry - easier and cheaper to get a decent amount in. I don't bother with a straw though, I just brush my teeth after and figure it gets them extra clean.
Do wear black underwear for a couple of days afterwards, though.

PGM, what is he managing to eat?

Other than experimenting to find foods that may be easier for him, maybe also consider aged cascara sagrada as a way to reduce gut inflammation?
Thanks. Charcoal could be working . Still different reactions to the same foods. Fat seems to be slowing digestion and lowering body temperature.

OP
P.G.Marjorie

P.G.Marjorie

Bacteriophages could possibly help. RP seems to have taken an interest in the lately. https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/ray-peat-email-advice-depository.1035/page-17#post-200430 He also mentioned in another email or two, and I think maybe in a radio interview. I'm guessing perhaps we'll see a newsletter about it in the not too distant future. I don't suspect SIBO in my case, and have had sort of mixed results in my own experience, but it may be worth trying. The reviews on Amazon seem pretty good for the most part for the suggested and other similar products.

Charcoal may be another thing to check out, and maybe even the first if he hasn't tried it. It seems to work wonders on stopping, or at least reducing gas, bloating, and general intestinal distress. I might start there to at least give him some relief. You can buy it in powder form if pills give him trouble; I prefer it this way, mixed with water, of course, but drink it with a straw to avoid black teeth, gums, and lips.
Thx for tip.

Cascara lag rada 1 gram twice a day

An hour at least before a meal

500 mg thiamine with every meal

Meal not more than 500 calories

Sparkling water 4 liters a day

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals