What to eat with ground beef?

TheCodez

How does it make you feel? Can you give exact details of recipe and procedure? Do you eat them with anything else and why do you add flour?
I believe I feel the best now that I've felt in my entire adult life and my lifts in the gym are definitely better than they've ever been before.

The recipe is as follows:

12 ounces 73% ground beef (I like Aldi store brand)
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 heaping cup water
6 tablespoons gelatin
1 tablespoon calcium carbonate
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper (for taste)

Mix the dry ingredients. Add water and ground beef. Mix thoroughly. Make 1.25 inch diameter balls and place on cookie sheet. Cook on 400 for 20 minutes. Flip and continue cooking on 400 for 10 to 15 minutes.

I call them "beef noogies" or just "noogies".

Previously I used milk instead of water and 8 ounces of beef plus 1.5 cups of shredded cheese, instead of 12 ounces of beef. I'm always tuning things though and right now I'm experimentally reducing my dairy a little. They're definitely better tasting with the milk and cheese than without.

I don't really eat them with anything else though I do occasionally have some liver, eggs, beans, lentils, or rice.

I use whole wheat flour because I can find no other carbohydrate that performs even close to as flawlessly for me (and I've tried a BUNCH).

Last edited:

FrenchKiwi

I believe I feel the best now that I've felt in my entire adult life and my lifts in the gym are definitely better than they've ever been before.

1 heaping cup water
6 tablespoons gelatin
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt

Mix the dry ingredients. Add water and ground beef. Mix thoroughly. Make 1.25 inch diameter balls and place on cookie sheet. Cook on 400 for 20 minutes. Flip and continue cooking on 400 for 10 to 15 minutes.

Previously I used milk instead of water and 8 ounces of beef plus 1.5 cups of shredded cheese, instead of 12 ounces of beef. I'm always tuning things though and right now I'm experimentally reducing my dairy a little. They're definitely better tasting with the milk and cheese than without.

I don't really eat them with anything else though I do occasionally have some liver, eggs, beans, lentils, or rice.

I use whole wheat flour because I can find no other carbohydrate that performs even close to as flawlessly for me (and I've tried a BUNCH).
I am going to try this right now!

FrenchKiwi

1 heaping cup water
6 tablespoons gelatin
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt

If I wanted to lower the carbs, would it work with less flour?

TheCodez

If I wanted to lower the carbs, would it work with less flour?
I'd think so. My daughter sometimes makes them will less flour, but with beef THAT fatty, they'll get a little greasy and won't look as appetizing with less flour. They're probably a little less tasty as well.

FrenchKiwi

I'd think so. My daughter sometimes makes them will less flour, but with beef THAT fatty, they'll get a little greasy and won't look as appetizing with less flour. They're probably a little less tasty as well.
Ok cool. I have all the ingredients except the calcium unfortunately. Can't wait to see how they turn out and it's actually super economical. Rising food prices are a big concern for me and I actually do really well with wheat. It's just that my son is a type 1 diabetic so might reduce flour a smidgeon

TheCodez

Ok cool. I have all the ingredients except the calcium unfortunately. Can't wait to see how they turn out and it's actually super economical. Rising food prices are a big concern for me and I actually do really well with wheat. It's just that my son is a type 1 diabetic so might reduce flour a smidgeon
Let us know how they turn out. I've had lots of people try them and so far everyone universally loves them, but to my knowledge, nobody outside of my house has ever made any.

I'll also note that the only wheat I've personally found helpful is unadulterated, minimally processed whole wheat.

FrenchKiwi

Let us know how they turn out. I've had lots of people try them and so far everyone universally loves them, but to my knowledge, nobody outside of my house has ever made any.

I'll also note that the only wheat I've personally found helpful is unadulterated, minimally processed whole wheat.
I will definitely let you know. Thanks

FrenchKiwi

I went and bought the calcium carbonate and made them with a bit less flour because my mince was on the leaner side. I got 18 small rissoles and they are so yummy. I hope they give me the energy you have

TheCodez

I went and bought the calcium carbonate and made them with a bit less flour because my mince was on the leaner side. I got 18 small rissoles and they are so yummy. I hope they give me the energy you have
I'm really glad you like them. In addition to being pretty yummy, they're so convenient to eat throughout the day (once you've made them) and so easy to portion.

As far as energy levels go, I don't know your history, but if you've spent a lot of time undereating or eating low carb, it can take a while to recover. I suspect a lot of my issues are self inflicted from many years of low carb.

FrenchKiwi

I'm really glad you like them. In addition to being pretty yummy, they're so convenient to eat throughout the day (once you've made them) and so easy to portion.

As far as energy levels go, I don't know your history, but if you've spent a lot of time undereating or eating low carb, it can take a while to recover. I suspect a lot of my issues are self inflicted from many years of low carb.
Low meat and animal fat consumption and too many starchy carbs has been my problem. Now I am trying not to do à 180 and go carnivore! Your recipe has been a hit. My son grabbed 5 as he ran out the door for basketball, and that's got to be better than a muesli bar. He loves them and they are so portable. I made them small enough for 2 bites. But now I have to make more!

TheCodez

Low meat and animal fat consumption and too many starchy carbs has been my problem. Now I am trying not to do à 180 and go carnivore! Your recipe has been a hit. My son grabbed 5 as he ran out the door for basketball, and that's got to be better than a muesli bar. He loves them and they are so portable. I made them small enough for 2 bites. But now I have to make more!
I tried carnivore a couple times for a few months at a time. Each time after the first week my energy was terrible but my mind was so clear. The experiment definitely convinced me that beef should be a major component of my diet, but I have to couple it with starch if I want to have any energy.

FrenchKiwi

I tried carnivore a couple times for a few months at a time. Each time after the first week my energy was terrible but my mind was so clear. The experiment definitely convinced me that beef should be a major component of my diet, but I have to couple it with starch if I want to have any energy.
What do you think about a very short term carnivore diet to drop a few stubborn pounds and then go back to more balance with starch and meat?

I tried just 1 day of carnivore and I felt incredible. My brain felt calm and nurtured. I have never felt this way in my life, but I have never eaten fatty meat before so that is a confounding variable. Also, eating just meat and eggs, I did not think about food between meals. I was satisfied in a way that I cannot describe. No bloating or discomfort, just beautifully content. This has also not happened to me since childhood

So, I am thinking of doing 30 days or so just to drop a bit of fat. Yay or Nay?

Lollipop2

What do you think about a very short term carnivore diet to drop a few stubborn pounds and then go back to more balance with starch and meat?

I tried just 1 day of carnivore and I felt incredible. My brain felt calm and nurtured. I have never felt this way in my life, but I have never eaten fatty meat before so that is a confounding variable. Also, eating just meat and eggs, I did not think about food between meals. I was satisfied in a way that I cannot describe. No bloating or discomfort, just beautifully content. This has also not happened to me since childhood

30 days seems like a long time.

Why don’t you add in milk, cheese, meat/beef and fruit? This keeps you healthy, not in extreme diet land AND could help you lose weight.

TheCodez

You need to do what you think is best, but I can't recommend that. At whatever point you add carbs back in, your body will almost certainly rebound. I think you'd be much better off having reasonable quantity of carbs with your meat. Consistency is the real key to weight loss. My normal mostly noogie diet continues to make me leaner week by week. (I'm not actually losing weight though). If I add even a single good sized bowl of popcorn per week, I'll make zero progress. 2 bowls of popcorn in a week and I start moving in the wrong direction. (I'm a sucker for popcorn). Eat right and make no allowances for things that aren't part of your plan, and you'll make progress.

FrenchKiwi

You need to do what you think is best, but I can't recommend that. At whatever point you add carbs back in, your body will almost certainly rebound. I think you'd be much better off having reasonable quantity of carbs with your meat. Consistency is the real key to weight loss. My normal mostly noogie diet continues to make me leaner week by week. (I'm not actually losing weight though). If I add even a single good sized bowl of popcorn per week, I'll make zero progress. 2 bowls of popcorn in a week and I start moving in the wrong direction. (I'm a sucker for popcorn). Eat right and make no allowances for things that aren't part of your plan, and you'll make progress.
Do you mind sharing what you eat?

FrenchKiwi

Consistency is what I need to focus on and to be honest, removing my fruit, yogurt, potatoes and sourdough with jam is not sustainable

TheCodez

So still heavy on animal foods. Will you eat other starches or fruit?
I have other health issues that worsen with the consumption of any fructose, so fruit or anything sugary is out for me. I do occasionally have some lentils or a little white rice or pinto beans, but all of that probably constitutes less than 10% of my diet at this time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals