What To Do If You Have Appendicitis?

J

j.

I think Ray Peat isn't in favor of surgery as first option. What should one do?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Great question we should ask Ray Peat if there isn't a clear answer from him already out there.

4peatssake

He mentions here about the removal of appendex and tonsils being part of the medical establishment's "aggressive surgical mentality," but it's within the context of drawing incorrect conclusions from certain biological processes. (Coincidentally, his comments reiterate what Mark Twain says in my new signature line. ;) )

Ray Peat said:
Now, instead of demonstrating harm from a dietary lack of the "essential" fats, the presence of the Mead acid or omega-9 fatty acids is taken as evidence of a deficiency. Our cells (and animal cells) produce these unsaturated fats when their special desaturase enzymes are not suppressed by the presence of exogenous linoleic or linolenic acids. Normally, the inactivation of an enzyme system and the suppression of a natural biological process might be taken as evidence of toxicity of the vegetable oils, but here, the occurrence of the natural process is taken as evidence of a deficiency. To me, this seems very much like the "disease" of having tonsils, an appendix, or a foreskin--if it is there, you have a problem, according to the aggressive surgical mentality. But what is the "problem" in the case of the natural Mead or omega-9 acids? (I think the "problem" is simply that they allow us to live at a higher energy level, with greater resistance to stress, better immunity, and quicker healing.)

Rayser

The only well tested conservative treatment is antibiotics. I think that makes sense since people wouldn't end up in hospital if the symptoms were not acute. Antibiotics work fast. They have the same effect as surgical removal of the appendix but the recurrence rate is high. I guess that's not a surprise either - there can't be a recurrence if the organ was removed. Like most inflammatory diseases I am sure appendicitis can be avoided if PUFA are.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... ated=false
"Antibiotic treatment in patients with acute appendicitis was as effective as surgery. The patients had less pain and required less analgesia, but the recurrence rate was high."

"Appendicitis can best be treated with a third-generation cephalosporin and an imidazole derivative (2 days intravenously and 10 days orally)."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21348022

"Acute appendicitis can be treated successfully with conservative (antibiotics) treatment with a short hospital stay. Though there is a risk of recurrence in some cases, all the complications after appendectomy can be eliminated with the conservative treatment."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22049894

"Our conclusion is that antibiotic treatment in the patients with acute appendicitis is quite effective, and these patients may not need surgery. The patients managed conservatively with antibiotics alone experience less pain and require less analgesia but have high recurrent rate."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19277796

"It is possible that uncomplicated appendicitis is a self limiting illness, the natural course of which would not include progression to perforation without prompt surgical intervention. Uncomplicated appendicitis could perhaps be compared with uncomplicated diverticulitis."
http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e2546

"Antibiotics are both effective and safe as primary treatment for patients with uncomplicated acute appendicitis. Initial antibiotic treatment merits consideration as a primary treatment option for early uncomplicated appendicitis."
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/761787

honeybee

I think if pain is bad then go to the hospital. Trying toself diagnose appendicitis is dangerous. I had appendicitis and waited too long to seek treatment and ended up with perforation. It was NOT fun and I was very ill.

Rayser

My experiences suggest the exact opposite behavior regarding every health issue. There might be exceptions like a knife in the stomach or car accidents with several broken bones. Apart from that - I tried the "go to the hospital"-strategy for 35 years. The resulting treatments were almost always worse than the initial problems and solved nothing, quite often caused problems of their own later and very nearly killed me on several occasions. There are not many things in life I regret. All the stupid and harmful surgery that was done to me and my family are on top of that short list. I think the problems with hospitals are the radioactive diagnostics, the unnecessary surgeries, the harmful drugs, vaccinations and intravenous drips, being surrounded by sick people and - worst of all - lots of doctors. I think self diagnosis, self treatment, self prophylaxis and self-healing are the most sensible way of living.

honeybee

I didn't say every health issue. I have been in the hospital twice in my life. If i had not gone for the appendicitis, I probbly would have died or have been far worse off. The one thing that works in the us health system is the treatment for acute life threatening situations. Knowing the difference between acute and non acute is the issue.
I work in the medical field but I don't partake of riunning to the doc or the er behavior. At one time in my life I did respect the medical establishment-no more.

Gabriel

I find all this generalizing doctor bashing very unhelpful. It is like hating Muslims because of terrorists or hating Christians because of the US wars.

marcar72

Well the one time I had an acute appendicitis I had my appendix taken out. After it was removed I was informed that it had a fecalith (a fecal stone more or less) stuck in it that caused the appendicitis. So surgery was really my only option as a recurrence after antibiotic treatment would most likely be guaranteed.

Rayser

Gabriel said:
I find all this generalizing doctor bashing very unhelpful. It is like hating Muslims because of terrorists or hating Christians because of the US wars.

That's a poor comparison, Gabriel. Terrorists intend to do harm. Most doctors mean well but know no better.

OP
J

j.

A good thing to compare doctors to is alchemists, although doctors are a lot more dangerous. Their advice is killing people.

Mittir

Gabriel said:

If doctors were doing their job none of us would be here spending
years reading Ray Peat stuff to understand basic nutrition.
Modern medical doctors should not be in a business of healing people.
They pretend to represent science. Clearly they have no idea how science works.
They receive horrible training to treat disease.
They do not even know that they are puppets of big pharma and food companies.

Gabriel

You raise excellent points and I totally agree with them. But you miss to mention one thing: An individual or the societal pillar they represent - be it doctors, politicians or whatever class - is only as good, as the rest of society is. You can't realistically expect from single individuals to be infallible and "good", while the rest of society that surrounds them is utterly ****88 up.

1. It is the system that misleads students and doctors who were on their endeavour to alleviate and heal disease. Misleading them so much, that they end up thinking the treatments they prescribe are helping. While they do the opposite.

2. A society where everything is about having the biggest car, the hottest chick to bang, the biggest ****. Where altruism is something, that only celebrities do, and this just to get on the front page of tabloids.

3. A system that causes newly finished MD students to have an average debt of 120.000$. That causes them to prefer highly profitable specialties over family medicine. To pursue point 2.

4. A system that generously rewards high-tech procedures and patented "blockbuster-drugs" but only pays a couple of bucks for a one hour conversation with the patient. When all the patient needed was the latter.

5. A society where everybody is seeking for weaknesses and flaws in others to exploit them for maximal personal gain (i.e. lawsuits to you receive millions after burning yourself with a hot cup of starbucks coffee, that hasn't got a specific warning about this on it).

6. A system where a doctor risks to be sued for millions when he doesn't follow (erroneous) guidelines due to 5. Where he lives a less stressful (and hence more healthy) life when he just does "what everybody does", even though he knows that what he does may be harmful.

7. A society where people that don't stand up for their rights but rather numb themselves with mindless drugs, idiotic games and movies and time-wasting scribblings from the media & news conglomerate that hit their brains every second through every medium available to them.

8. A system where doctors are afraid of standing up for the truth because they'd risk their careers for it.
Who wants himself to be burned and destroyed, while everybody else pursues point 2, 5, 7 and celebrates their own degeneration in super-sized ecociding swimming pools?

Gabriel

Okay, my argument is kind of harsh but I think these things play an important role from a broad perspective. Nobody is either black or white. We're all kind of gray. And everything is linked more or less.

DaveFoster

Uh...

ddjd

The only well tested conservative treatment is antibiotics. I think that makes sense since people wouldn't end up in hospital if the symptoms were not acute. Antibiotics work fast. They have the same effect as surgical removal of the appendix but the recurrence rate is high. I guess that's not a surprise either - there can't be a recurrence if the organ was removed. Like most inflammatory diseases I am sure appendicitis can be avoided if PUFA are.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... ated=false
"Antibiotic treatment in patients with acute appendicitis was as effective as surgery. The patients had less pain and required less analgesia, but the recurrence rate was high."

"Appendicitis can best be treated with a third-generation cephalosporin and an imidazole derivative (2 days intravenously and 10 days orally)."
Conservative treatment of acute appendicitis: an overview. - PubMed - NCBI

"Acute appendicitis can be treated successfully with conservative (antibiotics) treatment with a short hospital stay. Though there is a risk of recurrence in some cases, all the complications after appendectomy can be eliminated with the conservative treatment."
Conservative treatment in acute appendicitis. - PubMed - NCBI

"Our conclusion is that antibiotic treatment in the patients with acute appendicitis is quite effective, and these patients may not need surgery. The patients managed conservatively with antibiotics alone experience less pain and require less analgesia but have high recurrent rate."
Conservative management of acute appendicitis. - PubMed - NCBI

"It is possible that uncomplicated appendicitis is a self limiting illness, the natural course of which would not include progression to perforation without prompt surgical intervention. Uncomplicated appendicitis could perhaps be compared with uncomplicated diverticulitis."
Should conservative treatment of appendicitis be first line?

"Antibiotics are both effective and safe as primary treatment for patients with uncomplicated acute appendicitis. Initial antibiotic treatment merits consideration as a primary treatment option for early uncomplicated appendicitis."
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/761787
would minocycline work? or doxy? i have been getting pain in the lower right side of abdomen, i strongly suspect its some mild form of appendicitis. if you can suggest anything please let me know