What To Do For Bruxism (teeth Grinding)?

Logan-

Taking magnesium glycinate helps. Circadian rhythm entrainment helps. Not eating low calorie, low carbs helps. Good sleep hygiene helps. Having a good posture and getting sunlight in the daytime helps. What else can be helpful for reducing/eliminating nighttime bruxism?

I take all the vitamins in the right dosage, if anyone wonders. I don't have a stressful life, and my hormonal profile (thyroid, cortisol, prolactin, testosterone, estradiol) is good (I check them every 3 months). Unfortunately, the problem continues.

CrystalClear

I was suffering from bruxism for years. Some of my teeth broke and fell away and I lost amalgam fillings (good thing). My gums would bleed. I used to have lots of stress from inside and out. If I balance my blood sugar through the night, take progesterone and an antihistamine before bed, that eliminates the bruxism for the most part. My jaw and teeth haven't ached for many months now.

somuch4food

I find the study pretty weak. 11/50 vs 8/50 is not statistically relevant at all and could be very have been out of sheer luck...

Last year, I was clenching my teeth quite a bit. From my personal experience, it relates to chronic inflammation/cortisol state. I wasn't eating enough at the time and wasn't eating right for my body either and was under a lot of stress trying to figure out how to raise a baby...

Inaut

I had bruxism that caused severe enamel thinning and sensitive teeth. I think i've resolved the issue now. Magnesium is one of the supplements I take on a daily basis. Fixing the gut should help as well. I think it has a lot to do with dysbiosis and bacterial/fungal overload.

Gone Peating

Could legit have tmj, where your joints have popped out of their sockets.

Find a good tmj dentist

NathanK

I had bruxism that caused severe enamel thinning and sensitive teeth. I think i've resolved the issue now. Magnesium is one of the supplements I take on a daily basis. Fixing the gut should help as well. I think it has a lot to do with dysbiosis and bacterial/fungal overload.
Same and I second the dysbiosis and bacterial/fungal overload. This stuff is tied pretty close to the gut and often correlated with limb movement disorders.

thomas00

Lisuride completely stopped my jaw from being in a constant state of tension and I didn't grind when I was using it. I've cracked most of my teeth from grinding.

My dentist said she suffers from it, the nurse she did too, as did her dentist. It seems like an epidemic. Her dentist apparently got botox in his jaw to stop it.

Ray said he suspects endotoxin and serotonin are involved with both bruxism and RLS. Famotidine reliably knocks out my RLS.

So maybe Lisuride or anti-serotonin agent or antibiotic or some other intestinal disinfectant might work for you.

GorillaHead

Any of yall solve this? What would cause bruxism only when laying down. Postural issues?

CreakyJoints

have you had bruxism and get rid of it by adding magnesium? Or heard from others that did.

It is a well-known urban folkloric cure for gurning especially popular amongst users of MDMA. I've had friends who swear by it.

Any of yall solve this? What would cause bruxism only when laying down. Postural issues?

Potentially, yes - but tension anywhere when trying to sleep (is that the context?) is very, very common, and can be linked to overactive thoughts. Often, it is not just your jaw, there is a plethora of clenched muscle groups everywhere that you're almost entirely unaware of until you're able to consistently relax them. Training yourself to let go of these when going to bed is quite important, I think - there is a knack to it. I still clench without realising it sometimes, but addressing it when I notice it helps.

If you wear in-ear headphones (earphones, I suppose), or ear-plugs, you may be able to notice it a lot better, because if you pay close attention, you can actually hear the tension rather than just feel it. I've found this is a good way to know when you're actually fully relaxing your jaw or not.

GorillaHead

It is a well-known urban folkloric cure for gurning especially popular amongst users of MDMA. I've had friends who swear by it.

Potentially, yes - but tension anywhere when trying to sleep (is that the context?) is very, very common, and can be linked to overactive thoughts. Often, it is not just your jaw, there is a plethora of clenched muscle groups everywhere that you're almost entirely unaware of until you're able to consistently relax them. Training yourself to let go of these when going to bed is quite important, I think - there is a knack to it. I still clench without realising it sometimes, but addressing it when I notice it helps.

If you wear in-ear headphones (earphones, I suppose), or ear-plugs, you may be able to notice it a lot better, because if you pay close attention, you can actually hear the tension rather than just feel it. I've found this is a good way to know when you're actually fully relaxing your jaw or not.
Literally just layed down and clenchin. Almost instant. Yup i beleive its a neck issues for me.

CrystalClear

I not long ago had a bout of bruxism that was directly related to taking probiotics. I am working on improving my gut and have adjusted the way I take probiotics and doing the related things. No bruxism. Stress in the gut, stress wherever will cause bruxism for me.

CreakyJoints

Literally just layed down and clenchin. Almost instant. Yup i beleive its a neck issues for me.

I hope this doesn't sound too obvious, but I believe that whilst these things may start as physiological issues, they can become habitual and even if you remove the physiological problem they could easily remain. I think it takes a certain degree of practice and conscious effort to totally eliminate.

GorillaHead

I hope this doesn't sound too obvious, but I believe that whilst these things may start as physiological issues, they can become habitual and even if you remove the physiological problem they could easily remain. I think it takes a certain degree of practice and conscious effort to totally eliminate.
Agreed !

Nutritionveda

Hi did you use
Lisuride completely stopped my jaw from being in a constant state of tension and I didn't grind when I was using it. I've cracked most of my teeth from grinding.

My dentist said she suffers from it, the nurse she did too, as did her dentist. It seems like an epidemic. Her dentist apparently got botox in his jaw to stop it.

Ray said he suspects endotoxin and serotonin are involved with both bruxism and RLS. Famotidine reliably knocks out my RLS.

So maybe Lisuride or anti-serotonin agent or antibiotic or some other intestinal disinfectant might work for you.
hi did you use it topically and how much? Thanks

artist

I don’t know if I was grinding my teeth, but my teeth became crooked on one side because of the tension I carried in my neck and face. This might only apply to people with serious stress or histamine problems but that probably describes a lot of people on here. I fixed my tongue posture and I do a lot of stretches for my face/neck to keep the tension there from getting out of control and it’s helped me in many ways, and my teeth have become straighter over time and my whole mouth feels like it fits together more properly. It sounds weird but if you’re a super bad stress case you might literally be carrying tension in your actual tongue in addition to your facial muscles, eye muscles, and of course neck and shoulders. My tongue used to be pulled down away from the roof of my mouth by my neck tension, which affected my breathing and the alignment of my teeth. Fixing this also famously tends to make your face look healthier too (ie Mewing, but I’m not really suggesting that per se)

Try tilting and turning your head all different angles to the maximum position and see where youre feeling resistance. Open your mouth all the way with your head in different positions and see if that feels uncomfortable—if it does you need to consistently stretch until that stops. Try sticking your tongue out when you do this and see if that feels uncomfortable. Close your eyes and look each direction and see if you feel tension. Try this with different head positions as well. Then try it with your eyes open. If you feel tension, perform eye exercises to stretch your eye muscles. Pull downward on your ears, and also press on them to see if there are knots or trigger points underneath. Give yourself a face massage (Google techniques). Basically just try to discover where you’re holding tension. Sometimes I go long periods without doing this and then I do it again and I’m amazed how much tension I have and how much better I feel once I fix it. However I need it much less then I used to. Magnesium and controlling histamine are both hugely important for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals