What to do about male pattern baldness?

golder

I wanted to emphasize on my post that enough potassium is needed in addition to calcium, magnesium, sodium.
Is potassium super important for the Ray Peat community where most of us are drinking 3+ glasses of orange juice a day?

Ben.

Is potassium super important for the Ray Peat community where most of us are drinking 3+ glasses of orange juice a day?

Milk too has 366 mg per cup. Along with the OJ and maybe even certain fruits (dried) and/or potatoes for thoose that eat it ... i guess potassium is/should be covered.

Lamp

There are so many aspects to cover:
- Avoid gut-irritating foods
- Balance blood sugar
- Avoid hyperinsulinemia (can be checked via c-peptide)
- Get all your macros
- Get all your micros
- Destress and minimize life stressors as much as possible
- Sleep enough
- Avoid environmental toxins (shampoo, shaving cream, deodorant, lotions, plastics, drugs, tap water, air pollution, mold, etc, etc)
- Get sunlight frequently on your head
- Do earthing/grounding
- Keep homocysteine low and improve blood flow
- Optimize cellular function and ATP production
- etc.

You can always try topical progesterone, Cardenosine, Solban and red light to improve cellular function. Also perhaps topical TyroMix on the scalp.

What exactly does direct sunlight on the scalp do? I've noticed my hair looks better from doing this more but it could just that my scalp is more tan so there's less obvious contrast between scalp and hair.

And why did you not mention topical DHEA (mixed with progesterone/olive oil) which is what Ray suggested? Is the DHEA part controversial?

Thanks.

Hans

Forum Supporter
What exactly does direct sunlight on the scalp do? I've noticed my hair looks better from doing this more but it could just that my scalp is more tan so there's less obvious contrast between scalp and hair.

And why did you not mention topical DHEA (mixed with progesterone/olive oil) which is what Ray suggested? Is the DHEA part controversial?

Thanks.
There are many benefits to getting sunlight directly, such as improved blood flow, improved mitochondrial function, increased intracellular melatonin, etc.

I didn't think of DHEA. It should be good to add.

md_a

In my case, I noticed that when I don't drink a liter or two of milk a day, my hair falls out. Maybe it has to do with potassium. And when I add a liter of potato juice, I feel very good.

Motif

I wanted to emphasize on my post that enough potassium is needed in addition to calcium, magnesium, sodium.
Yeah potassium is underrated!
In my case, I noticed that when I don't drink a liter or two of milk a day, my hair falls out. Maybe it has to do with potassium. And when I add a liter of potato juice, I feel very good.

Is potato juice (store bought ) from raw or cooked potatoes ? How much of it do you drink ?

Vins7

And couldn't be this due to calcium?

md_a

And couldn't be this due to calcium?
Yes, I focus on vitamin D, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, CO2 to keep PTH and Aldosterone under control.

„Magnesium and potassium are mainly intracellular ions, sodium and calcium are mainly extracellular ions. When cells are excited, stressed, or de-energized, they lose magnesium and potassium, and take up sodium and calcium...."Ray Peat

"One of the things that happen when there isn't enough sodium in the diet is that more aldosterone is synthesized. Aldosterone causes less sodium to be lost in the urine and sweat, but it achieves that at the expense of the increased loss of potassium, magnesium, and probably calcium. The loss of potassium leads to vasoconstriction, which contributes to heart and kidney failure and high blood pressure. The loss of magnesium contributes to vasoconstriction, inflammation, and bone loss. Magnesium deficiency is extremely common, but a little extra salt in the diet makes it easier to retain the magnesium in our foods."Ray Peat

Motif

Yes, I focus on vitamin D, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, CO2 to keep PTH and Aldosterone under control.

„Magnesium and potassium are mainly intracellular ions, sodium and calcium are mainly extracellular ions. When cells are excited, stressed, or de-energized, they lose magnesium and potassium, and take up sodium and calcium...."Ray Peat

"One of the things that happen when there isn't enough sodium in the diet is that more aldosterone is synthesized. Aldosterone causes less sodium to be lost in the urine and sweat, but it achieves that at the expense of the increased loss of potassium, magnesium, and probably calcium. The loss of potassium leads to vasoconstriction, which contributes to heart and kidney failure and high blood pressure. The loss of magnesium contributes to vasoconstriction, inflammation, and bone loss. Magnesium deficiency is extremely common, but a little extra salt in the diet makes it easier to retain the magnesium in our foods."Ray Peat

Any idea why I seem to need tsp‘s of salt daily ?

md_a

Any idea why I seem to need tsp‘s of salt daily ?
Craving salt can be from stress or high estrogen.

Dr. Ray Peat: The absorption and retention of magnesium, sodium, and copper, and the synthesis of proteins, are usually poor in hypothyroidism. Salt craving is common in hypothyroidism, and eating additional sodium tends to raise the body temperature, and by decreasing the production of aldosterone, it helps to minimize the loss of magnesium, which in turn allows cells to respond better to the thyroid hormone. This is probably why a low sodium diet increases adrenalin production, and why eating enough sodium lowers adrenalin and improves sleep. The lowered adrenalin is also likely to improve intestinal motility.

Ben.

The lowered adrenalin is also likely to improve intestinal motility.

I can vouch for that part ... things are moving very well with increased salt intake. Altough i am a little concerned by the increased chloride intake.

I have heard a rumour that finasteride and minoxidil work. It's probably just big pharma propaganda though.

mrchibbs

I have heard a rumour that finasteride and minoxidil work. It's probably just big pharma propaganda though.

I don't think anyone is arguing that there is a big pharma propaganda for two drugs which have long been out of patent. Merck certainly promoted propecia and the androgen narrative in the 1990s and early 2000s, and that has had a lasting effect on the culture.

Similarly, it's clear that both these approaches can bring a degree cosmetic regrowth, especially in younger people. Most men experiencing hair loss have used either at some point.

Beyond that, it seems clear like there are more fundamental ways to tackle this issue, and Hans has listed a bunch of useful things.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Still waiting on a source that demonstrates how frequently getting full-spectrum sunlight on your scalp helps with hair growth...
Red light has been shown to be great by improving mitochondrial function, promoting blood flow and reducing ROS. But I prefer to get full spectrum as things tend to work better then. Also, I'm just reporting what works well for others.

"Apart from immunomodulation, direct light stimulation may activate dormant follicles, or synchronize follicles into anagen phase so that the hair density appears to be thicker [5]. Finally, follicle regeneration may be induced from a dispersal or suppression of inhibitory cells that prevent progression of follicle stem cells to progenitor cells in a manner analogous to the “scattering” of T cells in alopecia areata [15]."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals