What to do about K2 causing digestion issues

serling78

I've noticed from repeated experimentation with kuinone that K2 causes me to have serious bloating and constipation issues. I normally take 1 drop (5g) per day.

My reasoning for taking the K2 is I feel better mood wise and it has been helpful for my normally low libido.

If I take a day or two off from the K2 my digestion improves, but once I add it back then the constipation and bloating returns. I've tried smaller doses but smaller doses equals smaller or no benefits.

I assume I'm not the only one who has experienced this side effect. Curious if anyone has found anything to combine with the K2 to help.

I also take magnesium and D3 daily. And for digestion I've tried cascara, swapped out lactose free cow's milk to goat's milk, Metamucil, salt flushes, pro biotics, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

rei

Interesting, the scientific study i have seen about MEGA dosing it said only side effect was intestinal upset (loose stools) and one person i know had got it from 10x smaller amount (1.5mg) never the opposite of constipation.

OP
S

serling78

Apply it under your tongue or on your skin.
I did originally apply orally but it's not the best tasting, and I then switched to topically. I don't recall any difference in side effects when taken orally. It's been a month or so since I last did.

OP
S

serling78

I took 4 days off the kuinone and was having a couple BMs a day, still a little bloated, then I had a drop two nights ago and two drops last night and my stomach is basically that of a pregnant lady (43 year old male here) with bloating and constipation.

There must be some explanation as to why the K2 would cause this to happen. Looking for an explanation that hopefully leads to a solution. Just throwing laxatives at the problem doesn't seem like a great idea.

P

Peatness

Vitamin k2 might increase magnesium requirement. The blog below has some interesting info on k2

Belsazar

Have you considered reducing the dosage? Or combination with aspirin / vitamin E?

Mossy

I've noticed from repeated experimentation with kuinone that K2 causes me to have serious bloating and constipation issues. I normally take 1 drop (5g) per day.

My reasoning for taking the K2 is I feel better mood wise and it has been helpful for my normally low libido.

If I take a day or two off from the K2 my digestion improves, but once I add it back then the constipation and bloating returns. I've tried smaller doses but smaller doses equals smaller or no benefits.

I assume I'm not the only one who has experienced this side effect. Curious if anyone has found anything to combine with the K2 to help.

I also take magnesium and D3 daily. And for digestion I've tried cascara, swapped out lactose free cow's milk to goat's milk, Metamucil, salt flushes, pro biotics, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting.
I get bloating and constipation as well from oral K2, along with what I can only describe as major endotoxin issues. Using it topically reduces these issues by 90-100% percent, for me.

OP
S

serling78

Revisiting this because I've never found any remedy. I've tried kuinone topically and orally but the results are the same. If I take half a drop daily instead of 1 drop, the constipation side effects lessen, but of course the libido boosting effect also mostly goes away. I tried higher dose magnesium just to get that out of the way but my mood was terrible and my libido got even worse. Historically magnesium always takes away any libido I may have at the time so I would prefer to avoid it. I gave it another try though because it's often recommended. I've also tried A and E various times over the years but again, aromatase inhibitors lower libido for me. I think I'm sensitive to low estrogen.

Does K2 do anything that is known to cause constipation? I haven't had any luck finding the answer.

Not sure if I'm in a hypercalcemic cycle of drawing calcium from the wrong places, which I know D3 can do, but haven't heard of K2 doing that.

Mossy

Revisiting this because I've never found any remedy. I've tried kuinone topically and orally but the results are the same. If I take half a drop daily instead of 1 drop, the constipation side effects lessen, but of course the libido boosting effect also mostly goes away. I tried higher dose magnesium just to get that out of the way but my mood was terrible and my libido got even worse. Historically magnesium always takes away any libido I may have at the time so I would prefer to avoid it. I gave it another try though because it's often recommended. I've also tried A and E various times over the years but again, aromatase inhibitors lower libido for me. I think I'm sensitive to low estrogen.

Does K2 do anything that is known to cause constipation? I haven't had any luck finding the answer.

Not sure if I'm in a hypercalcemic cycle of drawing calcium from the wrong places, which I know D3 can do, but haven't heard of K2 doing that.
According to @xeliex, "intolerance of K2" was remedied with daily vitamin D doses:

"I upped my dosing to 15,000 iu per day for a week and then 8000-10000 iu per day"

I just tried an oral dose of K2 again (6mg) and I've been in bad shape the last 5 days. I am only partially constipated, but am having digestive/bowel movement issues to the point of tachycardia and overall malaise. That is typcial for me with oral K2. I've read that K2 does not cause blood clotting, but I get what feels like those types of symptoms. Maybe it's a calcium imbalance, creating issues in the blood.

It kills my libido as well and gives me endotoxin symptoms.

Jon2547

Sometimes ya just have to ride it out.

cjm

Were you taking it with a meal? A certain amount of fat is needed for proper absorption. I don't know if malabsorption is enough to explain the indigestion, but maybe!

"The oral bioavailability of lipid-soluble vitamin K was influenced by the fat content of a meal, although the increase in bioavailability seemed to reach a peak when the lipid content of the meal was >35 g."

Mossy

Were you taking it with a meal? A certain amount of fat is needed for proper absorption. I don't know if malabsorption is enough to explain the indigestion, but maybe!

"The oral bioavailability of lipid-soluble vitamin K was influenced by the fat content of a meal, although the increase in bioavailability seemed to reach a peak when the lipid content of the meal was >35 g."
Hello, I'm not certain if this was addressed to me, but I did take it with fat within a meal, as well at Haidut's mitolipin. I don't think I was above 35g of fat, though.

aniciete

I get bloating and constipation as well from oral K2, along with what I can only describe as major endotoxin issues. Using it topically reduces these issues by 90-100% percent, for me.
over a year of not taking it, 4-5 days of taking 4mg brings all of my symptoms back. I cant even get an erection when taking k2. Concerning stuff..

Mossy

over a year of not taking it, 4-5 days of taking 4mg brings all of my symptoms back. I cant even get an erection when taking k2. Concerning stuff..
Sounds like you're like me—very sensitive to K2. You could always try it topically.

Mossy

Does topically negate the negative effects for you?
It's been a while since I've tried it, and I've had adverse effects to 99% of the supplements I take, but from what I recall I don't get negative effects topically. But, I'll have to try it again to be sure.

peter88

According to @xeliex, "intolerance of K2" was remedied with daily vitamin D doses:

I just tried an oral dose of K2 again (6mg) and I've been in bad shape the last 5 days. I am only partially constipated, but am having digestive/bowel movement issues to the point of tachycardia and overall malaise. That is typcial for me with oral K2. I've read that K2 does not cause blood clotting, but I get what feels like those types of symptoms. Maybe it's a calcium imbalance, creating issues in the blood.

It kills my libido as well and gives me endotoxin symptoms.
Have you ever tried thyroid? Thyroid like tyromix gives me the same symptoms k2 does. Doesn’t improve digestion whatsoever.

baron

Eating old cheeses is the easiest way, I get all the good effects without any chest pain or anxiety.

Mossy

Have you ever tried thyroid? Thyroid like tyromix gives me the same symptoms k2 does. Doesn’t improve digestion whatsoever.
I have not, but it's on my list of things to try. Maybe you have saved me some money, and yet another disappointment with a supplement. I would imagine I would have the same negative effect as well.