What To Consider When Getting Bloods For Testosterone?

broozer

-how many hours after awakening?
-with or without breakfast?
-with or without coffee?
-how many days after workouts (eg weights or rockclimbing)
-which hormones apart T are of importance?

Aries

- T is highest after awakening and drops about 30% during the day. I'd aim for 1-2 hours after awakening but TT yields consistent enough results that hour here or there will make neglible difference. Free testosterone and LH have results more easily all over the place, probably because of shorter half life.
- To get the most accurate result lifestyle prior to the test should be as normal as possible. Special emphasis on the previous day. If you workout over four times a week it would be more accurate to exercise previous day as well as that's what your lifestyle is, same for sex, fasted black coffee, bedtime etc.
- Personally I'd do it with a 12h+ water fast to know my baseline T without unnecessary interference from meals or stimulants. If I remember correctly medium sized meal didn't have significant impact on TT but it's equal effort to just take the test before breakfast so why add unnecessary variables.
- Extra tests depend on the case. For hypogonadism/sex hormone status I'd add TT, SHBG, DHT, E2 sensitive, prolactin. LH, possibly FSH if you want to examine the cause. Then there are obviously thyroid and a lot more.