What things 100% improved your sleep quality from unrefreshing sleep?

cs3000

For people who had / tend to have unrefreshing sleep (but mostly no problem with getting to sleep and staying asleep)

Not just stuff you take / tried because you saw it recommended and maybe it does something, but what's something you do or take that noticeably makes you feel more refreshed / less tired on wakeup most of the time?

Last edited:

Vileplume

Having good, full, satisfying bowel movements consistently leads to the best sleep for me.

Even if I don't sleep 8 hours, the full time I'm asleep is high quality.

AlaskaJono

Eating a decent sized dinner. Or a snacky dinner - and some dessert: rye crackers and cheese, maybe a little meat as in few small pieces of salami or leftover Lamb, and a brownie with creme. Or Orange Almond tort. Or homemade Ice cream.

This has been important as my wife and I are usually having the Big meal @ midday. Almost 60 years old so we are modifying. Some carbs and fat helps. :):

Rafe

Eating most of my calories & especially protein before about 1pm. And bag breathing during the day. Taking enough salt.

Perry Staltic

Might just be a coincidence, but using a buckwheat pillow I recently pulled out of storage. Was really surprised sleep quality improved so much.

TheSir

No protein in the evening.
Buteyko.
Sunglasses 1-2 hours before bedtime.
Enough salt & carbs before bed.

Samya

I started swimming last week and found it has really helped with sleep. I'm guessing it's somewhat due to fatigue but I think that CO2 tolerance may have something to do with it. Apart from some muscle soreness and tiredness I've felt a lot of relaxation from swimming and yesterday had the thought it could be related to CO2. I noticed towards the end of the week that holding my breath for longer helped my form, greatly reduced the effort required to swim and increased the post swim zen mindstate. The stress relief was so profound I was going to make a thread but think it fits here.

Charger

Magnesium, Taurine, and K2 are pretty essential for me getting to sleep on a diet that is low in starch.

Otherwise, a bowl of oats will pretty much knock me out but definitely feels like it slows me down/becomes serotonergic if eaten consistently every night.

Vileplume

I started swimming last week and found it has really helped with sleep. I'm guessing it's somewhat due to fatigue but I think that CO2 tolerance may have something to do with it. Apart from some muscle soreness and tiredness I've felt a lot of relaxation from swimming and yesterday had the thought it could be related to CO2. I noticed towards the end of the week that holding my breath for longer helped my form, greatly reduced the effort required to swim and increased the post swim zen mindstate. The stress relief was so profound I was going to make a thread but think it fits here.
Where do you swim?

Birdie

Vanilla ice cream at bedtime. Three drops of Progestene on tummy in bed. These two on top of eating enough stress free food (Peat's Way).

Motorneuron

Litium 1-2mg during the day and Buteyko for CO2

Vanset

No meat past 3pm and no warm/hot meals near bedtime. Something cooling instead. Ice cream for example. Ray is definitely spot on on ice cream before bed. Nice slow burning energy and cooling effect.

David PS

Gelatin or glycine dissolved in water.

Samya

I should add that I don't actually hold my breath in the usual sense when swimming, a better description would be exhaling slower leading to longer intervals between inhales.

Motorneuron

Dove nuoti?

👌👌👌

Birdie

Raising the head of my bed
Yes. I did that too. In my case though, I continued to have sleep problems, even though it helped me in other ways. One thing I think helped was stopping my morning Progest-E and taking it in the afternoon.