What The Health (movie)

Progesterone

Has anyone seen this movie?

Basically... they are saying, MEAT = CANCER. DIARY = CANCER.

They cite many studies and state this AS FACT 100%.

What the heck?

theLaw

They cite many studies and state this AS FACT 100%.

This is simply not how science works.

Studies don't present facts, but instead provide evidence.

Then, as individuals (or a group) people can decide the "facts" for themselves based on the evidence presented.:cool:

OP
P

Progesterone

This is simply not how science works.

Studies don't present facts, but instead provide evidence.

Then, as individuals (or a group) people can decide the "facts" for themselves based on the evidence presented.:cool:

Can you help to refute this, in general terms at least?

I know someone who is basically going vegan (avoiding MILK, EGGS, MEAT) because of this. :(

J

jb116

Aside from the dicey nature of studies at times, most of them have holes. And when you expose those holes there's a different outcome.
At one point in my nutrition studies I had to review Mcgregor's work. Each of the studies he uses to promote antimeat and antidairy can be seen as erroneous and/or counter-studies equal to or better show otherwise.

theLaw

Can you help to refute this, in general terms at least?

I know someone who is basically going vegan (avoiding MILK, EGGS, MEAT) because of this. :(

There are tons of studies on this very forum to refute these claims regarding milk/eggs/meat, but you will need to do some actual reading to inform yourself further.

Good place to start: Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

So you know someone who is going vegan based on seeing a single documentary?..................sounds like veganism is not the problem.

You're looking for a simple answer to a complex question......................good luck with that.

Nothing is "AS FACT 100%"

You have to be specific. Charcuterie meat may increase the risk of disease, not boiled non-cured quality meat. Even Greger wrote in his book that boiled meat is safe, but he didn't say that in the movie.

The filmmakers really blew it because they didn't say one single word about oils in the film. All of the doctors in the film are anti-oil yet they said nothing about it. People eat high amounts of pufa from mayonnaise, other condiments, salad dressings, sauces, soups and all fried foods. They had a chance to show people that all of that oil is probably not good but they blew it.

The only studies that matter are controlled clinical trials, not observational questionaries.

They also tried to promote a fasting center in CA but did it in a weird way. Nothing wrong with that because I like the work that center is doing but the filmmakers were too cautious about saying what those 3 people they followed really did, as in a water-only fast, not just "fasting."

Heart disease is the number one killer. But both sides are wrong. The anti-vegan side and the vegan side are both wrong.

But I like the clip where Barnard says that diabetes isn't caused by sugar and the other guy says when you eat sugar it will just be stored as glycogen which is why I uploaded it to my YT channel. "Doctors who are pro sugar" because you never see that.

Last edited:

Gadsie

I have only seen parts, but they completely ignore calories in the movie. They link all sorts of things with obesity, except for simple overeating, whether that be sugar or fat.

@Westside PUFAs , yes carbs gets stored as glycogen, until your stores are full and it will get stored as fat. Although it is slighly less fattening per calorie consumed due to the inefficiency of it.

Zpol

Lol! I just watched it last night! Well, as much as I could stand. The majority of studies were based on population statistics, I assume they used surveys to gather the data, which we all know are highly inaccurate. But they did not go into the details of any of the studies! So right there is a huge red flag indicating bad science reporting. That guest who writes the nutritionfacts.org does not write proper scientific articles... I've read many of his them and hardly any address opposing viewpoints.

I didn't watch the end but I'm going to bet they didn't go into the health problems associated with veganism. I was a patient of Dr. Mark Fuhrman , probably one of the most renowned advocates for veganism in the country, and even he told me I going have to eat meat, due to severe malnutrition, jaundice, chronic gut infection, basically I was too sick to process all that vegetable matter.

There are also many studies linking veganism to heart disease and other degenerative disease.

They also did not go into the problems with eating meat. Which are primarily the added nitrates and nitrites, sometimes meat glue is used, and the cooking method is crucial! You can buy meat that doesn't have anything injected or added and it's the charring, smoking, frying, and too high temp that cause the carcinogenic amines. Boiling or pressure cooking are best, just add veggies so that meat doesn't come in contact with the metal. Same with eggs, light cooking is best. Most people eating "healthy" are eating grilled chicken which is one of the worst due to charring and over cooking. Also... Glycine and gelatin! The movie does not even mention the importance of glycine and gelatin when eating muscle meat (which is likely the type people in the study we're eating).

Yea, it's not good to eat tons of meat, not good to consume conventional milk and eggs. Nor is it good to eat lots of beans, grains, nuts, and seeds and indigestible veg (and of course some are goitergenic and estrogenic, etc). So what are you going to do; be breathrinarian? Lol! Just eat a balanced diet, avoid pesticides, get animal products from pasture raised animals. Have gelatin with muscle meats, try to eat organ meats, keep your antioxidants high to combat the carcinogenic amines in meat (green tea is apparently best as combating these, but can't remember where I read that), don't eat excessive fats, no PUFAs, stay moderatly active and stay thin. Also, keep tabs on your blood lipids, triglycerides, and sodium especially if you are genetically predisposed to heart disease.

lampofred

Seeing all these conflicting theories makes me think that the only thing that matters for good health is high dopamine/low serotonin. Seems to fix everything.

pisser

Never watched cause I don't care cause I know they're just magnifying the detrimental effects of not going vegan. The studies may point to a truth, but if they did these documentaries in a more humble manner, they'd be more interesting.

Trigger warning: I was vegan for a little over 5 years. Currently vegetarian. I still eat mostly plant-based, I have dairy and other milk ingredients every now and then, but I'll testify that it's not the worst thing. The vegan community is rubbish though, I hated having friends that judge other people's eating habits behind their back, and having to avoid telling people I'm vegan and instead just telling them "I don't eat meat." I will say that it's better than being on a zero carb diet.

michael94

Never watched cause I don't care cause I know they're just magnifying the detrimental effects of not going vegan. The studies may point to a truth, but if they did these documentaries in a more humble manner, they'd be more interesting.

Trigger warning: I was vegan for a little over 5 years. Currently vegetarian. I still eat mostly plant-based, I have dairy and other milk ingredients every now and then, but I'll testify that it's not the worst thing. The vegan community is rubbish though, I hated having friends that judge other people's eating habits behind their back, and having to avoid telling people I'm vegan and instead just telling them "I don't eat meat." I will say that it's better than being on a zero carb diet.
I eat the same as you just with more dairy.

The problem with vegans is that they do not go far enough. If their goal is truly to reduce the suffering of all sentient brings then they simply do not go far enough! Because to do so would be much more painful, require more sacrifice...

biffbelvin

I switched it off when they started talking about protein amount in 100 calories of green vegetables.

Constatine

Eat organ meat and drink non-American milk and you'll be fine. Muscle meats can definitely promote poor metabolism in high amounts. Especially in the absence of collagen. Most commercial milk is full of estrogen and other nasty stuff.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals