What Should Betaine Hcl Smell Like?

Bluemachine

Just bought some for the first time and opened it, it smells very strongly of glue. I Google searched it and some say it can smell like fish. Mine definitely does not smell of fish.

Can anyone chime in if they've used betaine hcl?

gately

Betaine HCL, to my nose, usually has a distinctive sour smell, which seems to vary in intensity depending on the potency. I've used probably a half dozen different companies' Betaines over the years, and have never had mine smell like "glue." That said, maybe you think glue smells like how betaine should, maybe your glues smell sour, maybe your nose is weird, or maybe you are the glue that holds this whole messed up world together.

orewashin

Betaine HCL, to my nose, usually has a distinctive sour smell, which seems to vary in intensity depending on the potency. I've used probably a half dozen different companies' Betaines over the years, and have never had mine smell like "glue." That said, maybe you think glue smells like how betaine should, maybe your glues smell sour, maybe your nose is weird, or maybe you are the glue that holds this whole messed up world together.
You know glue is just gelatin, right?

That being said, glue has different kinds of solvents that probably smell different like you say, so maybe the betaine was extracted using a different kind of solvent.

gately

That being said, glue has different kinds of solvents that probably smell different like you say, so maybe the betaine was extracted using a different kind of solvent.
Dude you're, like, just gelatin.

OP
B

Bluemachine

. I'd you don't mind, for what ailments were you taking the betaine hcl? & did it help?

Took some last night and it hasn't killed me so hopefully the smell was nothing sinister, though my stomach is quite tender

OP
B

Bluemachine

Thanks for your input, it could well be that.

gately

. I'd you don't mind, for what ailments were you taking the betaine hcl? & did it help?

Took some last night and it hasn't killed me so hopefully the smell was nothing sinister, though my stomach is quite tender
I used it some to resolve a period where I had low stomach acid, and generally improve protein digestion. The overt symptom it helped was acid reflux. Having a few more years of health research under my belt, I suspect it works similar to any strong natural sour tasting food, imo. But it's a convent little way to potently increase digestive juices / fire during meals.

I personally haven't taken it in years, as I find it burns and inflames my small intestine where I have Crohn's disease. In general I am not someone who responds well to a lot of sour in my diet. I have enough "fire" in my system.

Currently, my girlfriend takes it. She finds it help with acid reflux and overall digestion.

I have seen Betaine HCL resolve longstanding issues that were rooted in malabsorption where nothing else worked. I also strongly suspect it functions as a stomach / intestinal antimicrobial overtime. I believe the standard advice to use just enough pills to create a burning sensation and then lower it by one, until you get the burn, and then keep lowering them, etc. is a solid protocol that helps a lot of people restore their digestive fire.

ursidae

I used it some to resolve a period where I had low stomach acid, and generally improve protein digestion. The overt symptom it helped was acid reflux. Having a few more years of health research under my belt, I suspect it works similar to any strong natural sour tasting food, imo. But it's a convent little way to potently increase digestive juices / fire during meals.

I personally haven't taken it in years, as I find it burns and inflames my small intestine where I have Crohn's disease. In general I am not someone who responds well to a lot of sour in my diet. I have enough "fire" in my system.

Currently, my girlfriend takes it. She finds it help with acid reflux and overall digestion.

I have seen Betaine HCL resolve longstanding issues that were rooted in malabsorption where nothing else worked. I also strongly suspect it functions as a stomach / intestinal antimicrobial overtime. I believe the standard advice to use just enough pills to create a burning sensation and then lower it by one, until you get the burn, and then keep lowering them, etc. is a solid protocol that helps a lot of people restore their digestive fire.
What if there’s no burning sensation after more than 10 pills? Should one just keep going?

gately

What if there’s no burning sensation after more than 10 pills? Should one just keep going?
There’s no consensus. Some practitioners stop their patients at 6 pills. The highest maximum dosage I’ve seen recommended to patients is 18 pills.

I don’t know your situation, but if you are not getting the burning sensation, then I would try finding the minimum dosage that alleviates the symptoms you are trying to fix.

I personally think 18 pills per meal is just silly, but if it works, it works. And the theory popularized by Dr Wright is that you will eventually be able to lower the dosage over time. I’ve seen that to be consistently true. Many people start out high and eventually over a year or so work their way down to just one or two pills.

If you decide to go higher than 10 pills, just be mindful of any potentially negative symptoms. I doubt it would cause any serious damage as an experiment if you’re already taking 10 per meal and feeling nothing. But still.

ursidae

There’s no consensus. Some practitioners stop their patients at 6 pills. The highest maximum dosage I’ve seen recommended to patients is 18 pills.

I don’t know your situation, but if you are not getting the burning sensation, then I would try finding the minimum dosage that alleviates the symptoms you are trying to fix.

I personally think 18 pills per meal is just silly, but if it works, it works. And the theory popularized by Dr Wright is that you will eventually be able to lower the dosage over time. I’ve seen that to be consistently true. Many people start out high and eventually over a year or so work their way down to just one or two pills.

If you decide to go higher than 10 pills, just be mindful of any potentially negative symptoms. I doubt it would cause any serious damage as an experiment if you’re already taking 10 per meal and feeling nothing. But still.
Thanks for the response
My colon is inflamed so I’m not sure I want to risk it. Doesn’t cause pain or any sensation at all, just feels a bit wrong to take 15 pills with a meal lol

OP
B

Bluemachine

Thanks for the response
My colon is inflamed so I’m not sure I want to risk it. Doesn’t cause pain or any sensation at all, just feels a bit wrong to take 15 pills with a meal lol
Are you sure the amount your taking isn't causing any of the inflammation. My stomach is feeling quite sore from just 1 500mg capsule

ursidae

Are you sure the amount your taking isn't causing any of the inflammation. My stomach is feeling quite sore from just 1 500mg capsule
I hadn’t taken it a long time when the more serious inflammation started but I’ll keep that in mind. It did cause irritation in the past but that might have also been the foods I was eating it with. Taking 14 of those was a recent one off experiment to verify that I have low stomach acid after I did the baking soda test and it took me half an hour to burp. Didn’t feel anything

Last edited:
OP
B

Bluemachine

If you don't mind, which product were you using? I might try a different one for comparison