What percentage of Saturated Fat intake is stored?

Dean

Interesting info on the chewing and wearing of coconut oil. I've actually been thinking of experimenting with going very low fat for a bit to see if it will help my digestive issues. Assuming my gut will tolerate home made skim milk cheese, I was thinking of reducing fat down to between a teaspoon and tablespoon of coconut oil a day.

I will try chewing it well. I'm also wondering what lymphatic benefits you get from spreading the coconut oil on your body?

pboy said:
for what its worth...I notice that when I down a spoonful of coconut straight it kinda feels heavy like theres some slow or indigestion going on
but if I chew it for a good 2-5 minutes (yes, chew the oil) and literally use lingular lipase to completely split the fat before I swallow it, its like instant energy with no heaviness

I know the lingular (salivary) lipase enzyme works on triglycerides different than the intestinal (pancreatic) lipases...so maybe if predigested in the mouth via prolonged chewing certain fatty acids become available that normally would not be liberated by the gut alone

I wonder if this is a reason why many people in these parts report weight gain with low-fat milk but not cheese.

Wilfrid

pboy said:
for what its worth...I notice that when I down a spoonful of coconut straight it kinda feels heavy like theres some slow or indigestion going on
but if I chew it for a good 2-5 minutes (yes, chew the oil) and literally use lingular lipase to completely split the fat before I swallow it, its like instant energy with no heaviness

I know the lingular (salivary) lipase enzyme works on triglycerides different than the intestinal (pancreatic) lipases...so maybe if predigested in the mouth via prolonged chewing certain fatty acids become available that normally would not be liberated by the gut alone

Hi pboy,

You're damn right!.
I used to think, or to tell the truth, I used to read that usually the dietary triglycerides are not affected by enzymes until they reach the duodenum but it seems that " partial hydrolysis in the stomach is the first step in the digestion of triglycerides, and that this reaction is catalysed by lingual lipase".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC302230/

So the longer the action of lingual lipase the easier should be the digestion....
I was very skeptical at first and did the test today with refined coconut oil....and the digestion was almost perfect.
That a very interesting info because I used to put a lot of coconut oil on my body instead of swallowing it.
However, how do we know if this process has a great influence of the triglyceride's structure when it comes to intestinal absorption?
Anyway, thanks to you, I'm back to the coconut's world. :D

Bluebell

Wilfrid said:
For coconut oil, I use it every day (at least twice a day) on my whole body (after showering) to bypass the digestive system and to make sure that the high saturated fatty acids content of coconut (at least a fair amount of it) goes directly to the lymphatic system via the skin.

Wilfred, if you are there, so do you think that the coconut oil absorbs through into your bloodstream that way, through your skin?

I really want to eat coconut oil but cannot even tolerate the refined stuff. I wonder if I'm allergic or if it's a digestion thing. If just digestion, I could absorb it through skin instead maybe.

gretchen

I thought ME and SF say the PUFAs are stored due to being long chain. ?

IME, I did not gain weight per se from eating a lot of salmon and olive oil due to calorie balance but I did have a shift in body fat and body composition over the years for the worse. There's no doubt PUFAs would have wrecked my figure as I aged.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals