What number do you aim for when you test blood serotonin?

tastyfood

I've been testing blood serotonin occasionally. Six months ago I was at 199 ng/mL. The lab range is 21-321. Two weeks ago I tested 148.

The main differences I introduced were taking fewer oral supplements, and eating 1/3 a cup of oat bran every morning which has been really helpful for bowel movements.

This is the main quote I have about desirable results:

“Men with blood serotonin levels greater than 100 ng/ml showed lower sperm counts and sperm motility than those with normal levels of blood serotonin (less than 90 ng/ml)."

According to this quote my levels are not "normal". I've taken anti serotonin substances in the past and they never really lowered my results. The thing that helped the most appears to be cleaning the bowels with oat bran, and a simple supplement regimen.

Do any of you have experience testing blood serotonin?

Thank you!

Rasaari

Most antiserotonin compounds act on the receptor level than decreasing the blood levels. Improving digestion, improving serotonins conversion to downstream metabolites, increasing its detox, reducing tryptophan with AAs come to mind for reducing blood levels.

exile

I've been testing blood serotonin occasionally. Six months ago I was at 199 ng/mL. The lab range is 21-321. Two weeks ago I tested 148.

The main differences I introduced were taking fewer oral supplements, and eating 1/3 a cup of oat bran every morning which has been really helpful for bowel movements.

This is the main quote I have about desirable results:

“Men with blood serotonin levels greater than 100 ng/ml showed lower sperm counts and sperm motility than those with normal levels of blood serotonin (less than 90 ng/ml)."

According to this quote my levels are not "normal". I've taken anti serotonin substances in the past and they never really lowered my results. The thing that helped the most appears to be cleaning the bowels with oat bran, and a simple supplement regimen.

Do any of you have experience testing blood serotonin?

Thank you!

Did Ray use this study in an article or it’s just one you found?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Not from Ray. This is the study: Gonzales, G.F., et al. Blood serotonin levels and male infertility. Arch Androl. 1989;22(1):85-9

exile

Thanks. Do you get your doctor to order them or do you pay out of pocket at a lab for the serotonin test?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Thanks. Do you get your doctor to order them or do you pay out of pocket at a lab for the serotonin test?

Out of pocket, unfortunately. It's one of the more expensive tests, and it takes about a week to get the results.

exile

Out of pocket, unfortunately. It's one of the more expensive tests, and it takes about a week to get the results.
I believe it. I didn’t see it on anylabtestnow and usually when I have to email them about a test they have it, but it’s expensive.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I believe it. I didn’t see it on anylabtestnow and usually when I have to email them about a test they have it, but it’s expensive.

Is this whole blood serotonin or serum serotonin that you email them about? I want to test whole blood serotonin but always end up testing serum serotonin instead.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals