What? No Butter?

scarlettsmum

We live in Europe, where the tradition of using butter is very strong and the supermarket shelves have more selection of butter than margarine and I was lucky enough to be brought up solely on butter and (oops) lard. But at least it was from our own pig and probably still better than the nasty yellow oils. Anyhow my kids are at preschool and I was assured by the teacher that they only use butter on their bread/baguettes at breakfasts and for snacks and this morning I caught them spreading margarine. I am so furious!! Apparently they don't have time to wait for butter to soften. To top it off the director said..."mmm, we don't use margarines at home either, but it just takes so long when we need to butter so many slices of bread..." Anyhow I gifted them with a butter dish and butter and told them only to use butter from now on and that I'll be checking on them. Quick, hide the margarine, the nazi mum is coming! lol They must think I'm completely nuts, because I let my kids eat loads of sugary gummy bears and frown upon soya and cous cous.

thegiantess

scarlettsmum said:
post 119254 We live in Europe, where the tradition of using butter is very strong and the supermarket shelves have more selection of butter than margarine and I was lucky enough to be brought up solely on butter and (oops) lard. But at least it was from our own pig and probably still better than the nasty yellow oils. Anyhow my kids are at preschool and I was assured by the teacher that they only use butter on their bread/baguettes at breakfasts and for snacks and this morning I caught them spreading margarine. I am so furious!! Apparently they don't have time to wait for butter to soften. To top it off the director said..."mmm, we don't use margarines at home either, but it just takes so long when we need to butter so many slices of bread..." Anyhow I gifted them with a butter dish and butter and told them only to use butter from now on and that I'll be checking on them. Quick, hide the margarine, the nazi mum is coming! lol They must think I'm completely nuts, because I let my kids eat loads of sugary gummy bears and frown upon soya and cous cous.

Good for you! I will be the same when my babes are old enough to go to school. Even now I have little disagreements with family members about what I do and do not feed my babes. And as for lard, despite its pufa content, I think most things that are a result of traditional cooking methods and come from a pure source (the family animal) are good. Praise the lard!

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

I soften an once or two of butter in the microwave - 11 seconds. I guess it's harder to soften a larger amount evenly.
I haven't completely put my foot down with grandparents and margerine, though I've let them know it (and other seed oils) are the foods I'm most concerned about my kids eating. My mother thinks she's doing the right thing limiting sugar, but uses margerine as thoug it were food.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thegiantess and Tara, it looks like we are all having similar problems with our families, teachers. etc. Feel so frustrating sometimes. I actually took the butter dish to school to tell them to keep it in it and leave it out of fridge so that it is always spreadable. Today they told me that they are going to stick to using butter from now on, so fingers crossed!

mt_dreams

If you use one of those upside-down french butter jars, the butter temp will be 22 degrees instead of 2-4 degrees from being in a fridge. Not sure how practical it is for large groups, as you would probably need a couple of them, but at least the butter will be soft right from the get go. This might be a solution for schools who refuse to take things out of the fridge early due to possible contamination issues.

johnwester130

What bread is it ?

Do they eat sourdough bread ?

And that's a terrible excuse for not using butter. just use it anyway, it's not that difficult.

Well, overdoing the butter can cause problems too. I'll post the Peat quotes on the fattening effect of butter as soon as I find them in the interviews. They haven't been transcribed yet.

tara

Well, overdoing the butter can cause problems too.
I agree that excess butter is not optimal, but good luck getting the budgets and tastes in a preschool replacing all of the margerine or butter with suitable carbs. Hungry growing kids need calories. Mine are past pre-school now, very lean, and I certainly don't want them eating less calories. If a bit of butter encourages them to eat other food, that's fine with me. Underfeeding kids is probably one way to keep their metabolism low for life. I now consider butter to be far preferable to margerine.

M

marikay

I agree that excess butter is not optimal, but good luck getting the budgets and tastes in a preschool replacing all of the margerine or butter with suitable carbs. Hungry growing kids need calories. Mine are past pre-school now, very lean, and I certainly don't want them eating less calories. If a bit of butter encourages them to eat other food, that's fine with me. Underfeeding kids is probably one way to keep their metabolism low for life. I now consider butter to be far preferable to margerine.

+1

Xisca

I agree, I was brought on margerine by a mom who thought she was doing good!
Well, we also had butter with bread, but she cooked with sunflower margarine!

I am astonished by the reasons....
TIME!
and having to have all in fridge...
sourdough is also supprressed for TIME reasons, takes too long to fermet.
Good yogurt took to long to ferment so they put carraghenans... etc