What Modern Fruits Are Closest To Wild Fruits ? (high Glucose / Low Sucrose)

jet9

Guys hi,

I've read interesting paper analyzing similarities and differences between diets of primates and our modern diet. On of the points was that now fruits are not fruits our ancestors used to eat:

One important difference between wild and cultivated fruits is that sugar in the pulp of wild fruits tends to be hexose-dominated (some fructose and considerable glucose; Table I) while that of cultivated fruits tends to be highest in sucrose, a disaccharide. For example, the major sugars in Haden mangos, a cultivated fruit
variety, were 20.6% fructose, 5.3% D-glucose and 74.1% sucrose.
Here is example of wild fruits, as you can see all of them are low in sucrose, and have glucose:fructose ratio about 2:1

Ficus insipida
sucrose .037
glucose .613
fructose .335

Spondias mombin
sucrose .027
glucose .524
fructose .421

Gustavia superba
sucrose .085
glucose .522
fructose .331
Paper states that

In terms of sweetness to humans, fructose is ranked 115–170, sucrose 100, and glucose 70.61 Cultivated fruits are, therefore,very taste appealing to humans, as they have been artificially selected so that they offer sucrose (and fructose) rather than glucose as their principal sugar reward.
What modern fruits one can buy in western world that have similar ratios?

Here is the link to all paper in case if you are interested:
http://www.direct-ms.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/primaten.pdf

nwo2012

The higher the fructose, the better. This is mainstream BS you are parroting.

TeaRex14

I can get wild blueberries at my local Costco. There is certain scenarios however where higher sucrose is actually a good thing though, metabolically speaking. I wouldn't get too hung up over this, it's something the paleo community likes to spread.

Fractality

Personally, I feel best eating high fructose fruits like pears compared to say, a banana.

MarcelZD

Grapes and apricots are usually available (in Europe) and cheap. Grape juice is very cheap here.

redsun

The higher the fructose, the better. This is mainstream BS you are parroting.

Sure, saying the higher fructose the better doesnt sound dumb at all. Fructose isnt bad of course, but glucose is direct fuel for the body while fructose has to be converted. Some fructose for the liver is good, you dont need mountains of fructose and it should not be the largest contributor to your carb count, its much too easy to get tons of fructose from eating solely high fructose fruits. Saying more fructose is always better is nonsense.

redsun

I think the organs can use fructose directly.
Ive never seen any literature on fructose being usable by any organ except the liver. It gets taken to the liver to fill liver glycogen or converted to glucose for fuel. There is a limited capacity for this while there is virtually an unlimited supply of glucose when incorporating well-cooked starches. Like I said, fructose is great it serves a purpose especially for the liver but if we want to fuel the whole body glucose is important.

schultz

Ive never seen any literature on fructose being usable by any organ except the liver. It gets taken to the liver to fill liver glycogen or converted to glucose for fuel. There is a limited capacity for this while there is virtually an unlimited supply of glucose when incorporating well-cooked starches. Like I said, fructose is great it serves a purpose especially for the liver but if we want to fuel the whole body glucose is important.

I haven't seen anything in a study either (though I have not looked) but Ray mentioned it.

"Many people lately have been told, as part of a campaign to explain the high incidence of fatty liver degeneration in the US, supposedly resulting from eating too much sugar, that fructose can be metabolized only by the liver. The liver does have the highest capacity for metabolizing fructose, but the other organs do metabolize it."

nwo2012

So because you cant find literature then it cant be so but then "like I said..." so it must be so because like you said. Thank the heavens for the ignore function, saves me endless frustration on here.

redsun

So because you cant find literature then it cant be so but then "like I said..." so it must be so because like you said. Thank the heavens for the ignore function, saves me endless frustration on here.

Glucose is preferred fuel for the body. That isnt me saying that, that is consensus by the scientific community. So it is not the case because there has yet to be any presented literature that proves other organs can use fructose. Someone just posted a quote from Peat where he says that other organs do have a capacity to metabolize fructose and Im inclined to take his word for it, but in this case if we have some actual studies to prove what he says that would be interesting and bring new data to learn from.

If you are that fragile feel free to ignore but you are asking for criticism when you go against basic scientific understanding that glucose is preferred fuel by every cell in the body and just say someone is just parroting main stream BS because they dont buy that fructose is the holy grail. Being frustrated is your own fault.

Back
Top Bottom