What Medication Should I Ask For From GP

Willow86

This is for reducing cortisol levels, my GP is pretty open minded so can anyone give me some suggestions, mirtazapine perhaps?

raypeatclips

Why not fix your diet, lose weight (if you need to), get more sunlight, more exercise, have more fun to lower stress?

What do you think getting on medication is going to achieve?

mujuro

Any reason you don’t want to get to the bottom of your high cortisol and try to fix it? Or is this just a stop gap?

Cyproheptadine lowers cortisol and is OTC in most countries.

OP
W

Willow86

Unofficially diagnosed with ASD & suspected ADHD by a clinical psychiatrist i'm willing to try anything to stop this horrible feeling 24/7

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think @DaveFoster might have some input for your situation. I tagged him so hopefully he will respond.
Unofficially diagnosed with ASD & suspected ADHD by a clinical psychiatrist i'm willing to try anything to stop this horrible feeling 24/7

DaveFoster

This is for reducing cortisol levels, my GP is pretty open minded so can anyone give me some suggestions, mirtazapine perhaps?
Mirtazapine would be the safest antidepressant psychiatrists readily prescribe, but it's not a "first-line treatment." Mirtazapine, described as an "atypical antidepressant" arguably works the best out of any anti-depressant for mild depression and particularly well for those with a tendency toward hyperactivity and anxiety. It has a far lower incidence of sexual side effects and often improves the sex drive, improves sleep quality, and it treats nausea and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Mirtazapine often causes weight gain and constipation, so coffee or exercise can help both, as can cascara sagrada (as a laxative.)

Dr. Broda Barnes would have a patient place his thermometer under his armpit and measure his temperature in the morning before rising, waiting 10 minutes before removing the thermometer from the armpit. According to Dr. Barnes, if the temperature (called the basal body temperature) read below 97.8 degrees Fahrenheit, then this would indicate hypothyroidism, at which point Dr. Barnes would prescribe 1 grain of natural dessicated thyroid (NDT). Dr. Barnes would raise the NDT dosage to 2 grains after 1 month, carefully monitoring the morning basal temperature so that it would not exceed 98.2 degrees Fahrenheit.