What Makes Your Thirsty?

dookie

From the various supplements or dietary strategies, which have you found that increase your "natural" thirst levels, and which make you drink more water or liquids. Obviously higher salt in take is one, but what are others?

Wagner83

PUFAs, french fries etc.. Salt seems to lower my needs to drink liquids actually.

OP
D

dookie

PUFAs, french fries etc.. Salt seems to lower my needs to drink liquids actually.

do you consider it good or bad that PUFA causes you to become more thirsty?

any theory as to why this happens?

Wagner83

In that case I don't consider it a good one no, for example one symptom of diabetes is thirst. This being said I don't know all the mechanisms behind thirst are and if there are times when thirst is not felt despite needing water. Some people say that increased thirst and need for fluid intake can be a result of higher metabolism and temperature, tca300 is one. I've seen other people (not members of this forum) say drinking a lot more water was positive (remove toxins through urine?).

Last edited:

Whichway?

I’m interested in this.

I often get dehydrated, but I never feel thirsty. In fact I feel almost “repelled” by water. It’s hard to explain, but it’s almost like not only is my thirst mechanism not working, but I don’t want to drink water.

skittles

I noticed from playing around with low-carb and high-carb diets in the past, that I was consistently much, much thirstier and more dehydrated on a low-carb diet, and even after drinking plenty of water, I would wake up dehydrated. On the other hand, eating a very high-carb diet, getting the majority of my carbs from fruit and rice, I always tend to feel adequately hydrated, even if I hardly drink any water at all.

Peatress

I’m interested in this.

I often get dehydrated, but I never feel thirsty. In fact I feel almost “repelled” by water. It’s hard to explain, but it’s almost like not only is my thirst mechanism not working, but I don’t want to drink water.
Me too. It wasn't always the case. Not sure what to make of it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals