What makes the left and right ear temperatures different throughout the day?

tastyfood

I have an accurate ear thermometer, the one from Braun, and the measurements from left to right ears are mostly different. When I feel like I'm having good metabolism, the measurements tend to be closer.

So far the two theories that I have are:

- Peat quote from an email he sent me: I have noticed that my type of mental activity seems to be associated with a large difference between ears. It could be changes in brain metabolism.
- Theory from a paper: changes in serotonin (when higher) de-synchronize the brain.

Do you have any experiences or comments to share?

I tend to take pay attention to the ear with the higher temperature, but it's nice to see when both are higher.

Thank you!

stressless

I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on this as well. I've also noticed something similar with myself - my left side seems to be warmer than my right.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on this as well. I've also noticed something similar with myself - my left side seems to be warmer than my right.

This is the case for me 85% of the times I take my ear temperatures. On rare occasion, the right will be higher, and ocassionaly, both will be almost the same.

mayku-T-meelo

I've also observed this on myself some time ago, left side always seemed to be warmer. I haven't checked in a while though. I always thought it's because heart is slightly more to the left, but it's just intuition.

Ben.

Mhhh woudn't the most simplest of explanations be that one ear has a less obstructed / better blood flow due the anatomicaly way of how a person grew the vessels and structures such as connective tissues, muscles and bones?

Following that logic it doesn't have to be a muscle near the head/neck. I remember when i did some intense psoas stretching my ears (both sides) would spontanously get extremely but comfortably warm.

But ofcourse im just speculating.