What Made You Believe In Ray Peats Work?

berk

Samya

I heard the odd mention of Ray’s work years ago in the paleosphere but hadn’t paid much attention, a while later I started noticing a few things like a sudden craving for orange juice and milk when my body was in a state of needing fast energy, even though I hadn’t drank them for years the craving was clear. I would’ve usually considered sugars a stressful food due to a low-carb mentality but noticed after eating mango that I could literally sense my body relaxing from my spine outwards. I also experienced the Randle cycle first hand, where eating too much fat slows down the ability to use sugar for energy, that fat seems to slow everything down and sugar speeds it up, and also had similar thoughts about extending the youthful period of life. Another time I experienced salt in the form of sole solution after over hydration with water as relaxing. All of these were either around the time I was using or directly under the influence of LSD, so I experienced them in a very amplified manner that is hard to deny. While I try not to believe in anything at all, I get the impression Ray probably knows what he’s talking about.

Last edited:

catan

I struggled with eating disorders (bulimia nervosa, binge eating, anorexia nervosa) for a decade. Chronic exercise, calorie restriction, cutting out meat/sugar/carbs, eating higher fat etc have resulted in depression, anxiety, insomnia, irregular menstruation, low libido, infertility in my mid 20s. My resting heart rate was very low and people told me that was good. Blood tests have always been 'normal' but I knew my health wasn't optimal. My hair was falling out, any extra weight/fat put on stayed.

I noticed how much carbs I craved during stress and how better I felt after lots of carbs, and by chance saw people discussing Peat's work on a primal forum, so I started looking into his work. I figured I had nothing to lose to try for a month. For the first time in ten years I didn't restrict calories. I ate high calories, high carbs, minimized PUFA, and added liver, oyster, OJ, milk to my diet. Within months my cycles resumed, hair grew back, brain fog lifted. Depression and anxiety felt manageable. My cravings went away. The biggest change was following Peat's guidelines resolved my eating disorders. I can eat normally and stop being neurotic about food and body. Haven't had a single time of relapse in the last five years even in times of stress. It's really changed my life.

Ben Geldza

I'm interested in how you came to trust and believe in Ray's work. I assume you didn't just jump in, naturally there would be some hesitation since his work is very against the mainstream. Was it keeping an open mind and slowly incorporating his ideas and seeing positive results?
Iron's danger.

mrchibbs

I struggled with eating disorders (bulimia nervosa, binge eating, anorexia nervosa) for a decade. Chronic exercise, calorie restriction, cutting out meat/sugar/carbs, eating higher fat etc have resulted in depression, anxiety, insomnia, irregular menstruation, low libido, infertility in my mid 20s. My resting heart rate was very low and people told me that was good. Blood tests have always been 'normal' but I knew my health wasn't optimal. My hair was falling out, any extra weight/fat put on stayed.

I noticed how much carbs I craved during stress and how better I felt after lots of carbs, and by chance saw people discussing Peat's work on a primal forum, so I started looking into his work. I figured I had nothing to lose to try for a month. For the first time in ten years I didn't restrict calories. I ate high calories, high carbs, minimized PUFA, and added liver, oyster, OJ, milk to my diet. Within months my cycles resumed, hair grew back, brain fog lifted. Depression and anxiety felt manageable. My cravings went away. The biggest change was following Peat's guidelines resolved my eating disorders. I can eat normally and stop being neurotic about food and body. Haven't had a single time of relapse in the last five years even in times of stress. It's really changed my life.

Wow that's an awesome success story. Has your life been good since then?
Sometimes when we're so sick for too long it can become impossible to appreciate and truly LIVE life instead of being a zombie.

mrchibbs

how he makes a living then?

He doesn't have a "book" deal. He sells his own books for next to nothing when people ask via email, and some have been sold out for a while.
And he gave the license for Progest-E to Kenogen years ago.

As far as I know, all of his income is based around his newsletter, 28$ for 2 years.
I suspect he must have several thousand subscribers. He's become somewhat of a rock star
these days, but even 5 years ago he wasn't anywhere as popular.

And Danny Roddy has recently started donating all superchats from his Youtube streams to Ray as well.

mrchibbs

It must have been around 5 years ago when I first heard of him.
Can't really recall my perspective at that time but it did feel a bit like cult.
And then I read Danny Roddy's book, understood nothing.

Afterwards when I got really sick, and didn't have anything better to do,
I finally started to read everything and little by little the puzzle started to make sense.
So it was gradual really, but more importantly it gave me hope for my life/health.

catan

Wow that's an awesome success story. Has your life been good since then?
Sometimes when we're so sick for too long it can become impossible to appreciate and truly LIVE life instead of being a zombie.

Yes, it’s liberating to be stop thinking about food obsessively. I used to go to the gym daily to burn off calories— quit that and never looked back. Stopped pressuring myself in those ways and keep an open mind to experiment and learn new things. I’ve also been able to develop and maintain intimate relationships, which had not been possible with eating disorders and mental health issues. I feel incredibly grateful.

mrchibbs

Yes, it’s liberating to be stop thinking about food obsessively. I used to go to the gym daily to burn off calories— quit that and never looked back. Stopped pressuring myself in those ways and keep an open mind to experiment and learn new things. I’ve also been able to develop and maintain intimate relationships, which had not been possible with eating disorders and mental health issues. I feel incredibly grateful.

How this warms my heart. So happy for you. I'm coming off a difficult stretch, and I'm trying to be hopeful for the future!

GutFeeling

People who follow his advices are healthy, Richard Overton for example. What he says is heavily backed up with science and people of this forum reinforce even more (science and authenticity of his claims).

mrchibbs

People who follow his advices are healthy, Richard Overton for example. What he says is heavily backed up with science and people of this forum reinforce even more (science and authenticity of his claims).

Moreover, people who follow Ray Peat's ideas tend to stick with them long term, which is not something you see in other dogmatic communities (keto, vegan, carnivore).

GutFeeling

Moreover, people who follow Ray Peat's ideas tend to stick with them long term, which is not something you see in other dogmatic communities (keto, vegan, carnivore).
Absolutely. Me and a decent amount of people have experienced a "keto crash", you feel good on keto then you feel wrecked. Listening/reading Ray give me an impression that he have an extreme amount of both knowledge and intelligence.

Ashoka

When he talks about this it’s almost always in psychological terms—the attention stimulating effect of interesting surroundings a , or just about light. Never about mold or environmental toxins making everyone sick

I believe you're vastly off the mark. He's clearly concerned about the stress of modern life, to such an extent he feels nutritional sciences take on a newfound importance. They are your protection against this onslaught. However, the protection is not final or complete in the slightest. I believe the reason he singles out the medical industry (profit-driven and corrupted), those who worship an uncritical Neo-Darwinian vision of the world (self-serving, survivalist), authoritarians (opposition to progress, truth) is because they variously represent a threat to the environment and an advancement of human condition. After all, do you or do you not get a stress response if the world around you is a living hell? One's environment is absolutely decisive for Peat.

biggirlkisss

For me a long list of fail experiences with food and supplements too extensive to ever list. In the end experience.

Velve921

I was sleeping in a bath tub because I was urinating 70x a day and couldn’t sleep during the night. My friend had been telling me about Peat but it wasn’t until this desperation that I gave in.

I'm interested in how you came to trust and believe in Ray's work. I assume you didn't just jump in, naturally there would be some hesitation since his work is very against the mainstream. Was it keeping an open mind and slowly incorporating his ideas and seeing positive results?
I think the PUFA rabbit study he talked about really made a light bulb go off in my head, and made me want to know more.

OJ and Salt

Forum Supporter
I think the PUFA rabbit study he talked about really made a light bulb go off in my head, and made me want to know more.
R&R,

Agree. When I started using OJ and salt, I lost weight quickly and was not tired. No more intake of PUFAs either. Ray Peat was an outstanding individual.

R&R,

Agree. When I started using OJ and salt, I lost weight quickly and was not tired. No more intake of PUFAs either. Ray Peat was an outstanding individual.
It was Weston A. Price that led me to Ray Peat. Weston’s before and after photos backing up his reasoning made me more willing to listen. Ray Peat’s reasoning was backed up with studies, that were hard to dispute. So I cut out all of the PUFA’s and within a year the age spots on my arms and the back of my hands disappeared and I didn’t sunburn anymore either, without sunscreen. I did not sign up for the addition of sugar until a couple of years later. I just never liked sweet things like desserts, candy, chocolate or even fruit, not even as a kid. Because I did get queasiness with coffee in the morning and have sleep trouble, I decided to give the sugar sources a try, and it did solve problems. Because of the studies and pics, it is why I do the same, seeing is very convincing.

Last edited:
“Price analyzed the diet of the isolated indigenous people, he discovered that they provide at least four times the amount of calcium and other important minerals that the western modern population eats, and at least ten times the amount of fat-soluble vitamins from animal sources such as butter, fish eggs, shellfish, eggs, shellfish, internal organs, and meat.”

“The discoveries and conclusions of Dr. Weston A. Price are presented in his excellent book: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. The book contains impressive photographs of natives with remarkably symmetrical facial features and accurately illustrates the physical degeneration that occurs in the body when a human group abandons its traditional diet in favor of convenience foods.“

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals