What Made You Believe In Ray Peats Work?

Pet Peeve

I've had this strange feeling recently that when I speak to friends about health or medicine, it's like I'm in a dream, and no one around me is making sense, and I try to raise a question, or introduce doubt, and there is just silence or confused faces looking at me like I'm insane or not completely following the direction of the conversation.... I felt like I should probably see a psychiatrist, because Ray's writings and way of thinking about the world is so clear and reasonable and logical (and evidenced!) that to be in a conversation with dogmatic people makes me feel insane. I feel like I need to go off into the mountains for a while.

Yeah, I told the girlfriend of my friend that she shouldn't supplement iron because it's toxic. She started to cry because I had made her insecure. In the end I had to apologize to her.

chispas

Yeah, I told the girlfriend of my friend that she shouldn't supplement iron because it's toxic. She started to cry because I had made her insecure. In the end I had to apologize to her.

Did it sound like, "Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that iron is toxic, don't worry about it, you should just keep doing what your medical practitioner has recommended" ?

Don't wake the sleepers.

Pet Peeve

Did it sound like, "Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that iron is toxic, don't worry about it, you should just keep doing what your medical practitioner has recommended" ?

Don't wake the sleepers.

That's exactly how it sounded

chispas

Do you notice that the more syndromes come about as a result of metabolic sickness and deterioration, the more tax-free charities pop up to raise awareness and create fundraising initiatives to "find a cure"?

This model contains no actual goal of finding a cure for anything. It seems to be, on the contrary, a form of lobbying that promotes the idea of the syndrome as being pervasive, devastating, and thereby, requiring greater and greater reliance on medicalisation to treat.

jaakkima

Ray was the only voice I had come across that had a coherent integrated outlook on things. All the dogmas I'd encountered had no rhyme or reason to them, and always seemed irrational and disconnected from big aspects of the human experience. I don't see, for example, why so many sheep can believe so easily the assertions about sugar simply being "addictive" - the implication is that such fundamental taste and instinct would be bad for us... like the early Church Fathers' views on the inherent sin of pleasures. When I read Ray, his perception and thought quality was many orders more integrative than everyone else. But the first thing that attracted me was a testimonial of someone who was thriving 8 months into Peat diet stuff.
I still don't understand how these things don't strike so may other people and pique their interest. I watch with the feeling that they have defective brain function somehow.

Rafe

Great bump.
I came on board in stages. First, I saw a few messages on an HFLC site where people warned that that would lower metabolism and could destroy some people's capacity for basics like sleep, calm, bright outlook, health problems. At that stage I ran into a Peaty supply-list that showed paper lunch bags, an "altitude" training mask, a big bucket of magnesium flakes, a tank of co2 with hoses and a regulator, and products from the aquarium aisle. "Kooky," I thought. I saw a pic of younger Ray Peat [the one on his website] and I thought he was cool looking with that shock of dark hair standing up and kind of a haughty look, and eyeglasses. Still thinking kooky.

HFLC had been good for my brain, but my basic capacities were trashed. The usual complaints. My encounters with basic care physicians had been terrible. One spring I was googling "how to bring down adrenaline" and I clicked RP's site & started reading about winter sickness. From the first dose of salt I realized that that Big Gap in my thinking about health matters--that mitigating stress had to be simple [if not easy] b/c stress was everywhere and medicine/pharma was never helping, I later could add, "pretty cheap, and available to everyone"--was really a Big Gap in my thinking about reality whole. I read his articles on salt and sugar, but I was struggling with where RP's view fit how I saw the world. It didn't.

Then I had my first good night's sleep in decades. I can't forget what it felt like to wake up feeling like a child completely restored and with huge potential. The calm! The wakefulness just gently rising. The basic techniques were working, but I didn't know why.

Next, I ran into a summary of Mae Wan-Ho's work and I can't forget the moment that RP's view of physical biology just snapped into place for me. I don't understand it all, but I "got it" in general. After that, my worldview of physical reality had to be rebuilt by me, with help from the articles, interviews, other sources. For several months I was just trying to adjust my thinking. I went on a lot of walks in the woods and my mind slowly adjusted.

Among the hardest steps were getting over sugar-phobia, giving up on primary care medical services completely, and rebuilding a low-adrenaline life in a high-adrenaline world. In the first instance my mind was corrupted, in the second I had to walk myself through the tools I had and what I would do if I found myself very ill or in a lot of pain. The third I still struggle with b/c I haven't met anyone who is not Peaty who doesn't seem very driven, but desperate for answers [but mostly rejecting sugar, salt, and self-confidence in basic health maintenance], and, well, serotonized, estrogenized. I've become alien in my old world. Still working on it. And that great night's sleep? I still chase that state.

Fame

[QUOTE="BingDing, post: 80043, member: 293"Ancel Keys fraudulently asserted it was an increase in saturated fat consumption. Another guy asserted it was an increase in sugar consumption. [/QUOTE]

Anyone know the name of this other guy? I'm curious, thanks!

Soundios

Because two years of basing my diet on whole grains instead of sugars, 'healthy PUFA's' at the expense of saturated fat, and lots of fiber as opposed to easily digestible foods left me falling apart and barely able to function at all. Ray's work seemed, and still seems to me, to be the most complete 'universal theory' on nutrition and health that I've encountered, and to my knowledge the only one which really operates on the premise of promoting the genesis of protective hormones and metabolic health. Putting his ideas into practice have slowly but surely helped me on the road to recovery.

L

lollipop

@theLaw @Stramonium @Soundios - come to think of it, neither I nor my husband have either since we started Ray Peat Inspired diet 2 1/2 yrs ago. I had totally forgotten until you guys mentioned it.

yerrag

I learned my lesson long ago not to judge a book by its cover. It's the ideas that the book represents that appeals to me. Ray's ideas are well-thought out, and shows that he comprehends his subject matter. It has depth, yet he is able to put them together that isn't dumbed down yet has a coherence. Maybe it's because it's easy to cross-reference these days with the internet that, with patience, I can internalize what he's saying. I think it helps also that I was already open to questioning popular ideas, although I still have a tendency to brand certain people as kooks. It's just that Ray Peat also has an element of purity in him, that I can trust that he has no investment in needing to be right. That he encourages one to question, and not to simply trust someone because he is an "expert," makes him more credible. I know he is a person I can learn a lot from. Being able to see things with an open mind, with a critical lens, that is what appeals to me most with Ray. With this attitude, I'm open to new insights and approaches not just to health, but to the vagaries and duplicity of life itself.

The most I have gained is the understanding that I am not helplessly a product of my genetic predisposition to disease, and am a product of the environment and lifestyle, a lot of which is programmed, and from which I have to break free of.

thomas00

His thorough demolition of popular approaches in health circles.

His work makes all other ideas on health I'd come across previously look pathetically superficial.

And the drugs he recommends have a much longer track record of use and more research behind them than the modern poisons I'd been prescribed, so I feel safer using them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals