What Made You Believe In Ray Peats Work?

Anthony

I'm interested in how you came to trust and believe in Ray's work. I assume you didn't just jump in, naturally there would be some hesitation since his work is very against the mainstream. Was it keeping an open mind and slowly incorporating his ideas and seeing positive results?

YuraCZ

Anthony said:
I'm interested in how you came to trust and believe in Ray's work. I assume you didn't just jump in, naturally there would be some hesitation since his work is very against the mainstream. Was it keeping an open mind and slowly incorporating his ideas and seeing positive results?
So easy question. No one looks at the whole picture like Ray Peat does and I have studied over the years the work of a lot of people.. Only Ray makes me realise how human body really works and whats needs to be done. Without dogma, personal preference etc.. I can't apply everything what he suggests 100%. But at least 90% he's on point. :bow

miko

It's easy: Ray negate all what's in mainstream media/medicine/propaganda. It's visible to all that mainstream medicine does not go forward - there is more and more deahts from cancer and other neurodegenerative diseases, so something must be wrong with the way we eat/work/etc.

honeybee

His work with balancing hormones. I had severe estrogen dominance problems a few years ago. I am positive that if I had not stumbled upon Peats articles that I would now be minus several internal organs. His work has helped me better balance my hormones with diet and a few supplements-mainly progest e. It's not perfect but I am functioning 80% better than I was 3 years ago.

rdmayo21

Philosophically, he's an empiricist, so he approaches science with no preconceived notions other than that there exists something and that he perceives it. This is an essential mindset to have if one wishes to seek truth.

HDD

His articles on MS. Had I not found his work, I might not be walking today. I do not fear a relapse anymore. :carrot2

I don't trust his work by default - I still do my best to read everything with fresh eyes. I follow his work because he is a skilled life-long researcher who has systems thinking skills beyond most others.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
High prolactin issues initially but reading his work explained 90% of the health problems I'd experienced and pointed toward reasonable solutions to resolving those problems.

answersfound

A couple reasons. I came across Josh Rubin from East West Healing on YouTube. And his whole philosophy for treating people was based off the work of Ray Peat. Then I came across Danny Roddy and he seemed to have a lot of success with implementing Ray's work.

As I read into Ray's work, I realized he is a very selfless man. He gives unconditionally. He provides information and even responds to emails because he wants to educate and help people. Every other health guru I had come across was either selling something or had holes in their philosophy. Ray's work just made sense to me. I had been eating salads for a couple years, despite hating the taste of them because I was told it was healthy. I also tried a low-carb diet which didn't work. Ray's work seemed complete, and the fact that there are multiple forums solely dedicated to his work only strengthened this belief. Despite spending years not succeeding on this diet, I knew it was me and not the protocol. I think one can go on and on about why they believe in Ray's work. He is a genius.

I was vegan at the time and I was freezing cold. I remember looking at eggs and bacon and saying "Wow, I miss that and there is probably a good reason." I jumped right in to Ray's diet and haven't considered anything else since I came across it 3 years ago.

peatypie

He is a humble man. He is not trying to profit from a book deal or supplements. His work is based on science, balancing of hormones and healing from a cellular level. He does not adhere to main stream dogma nor is he afraid of being controversial.

When I read his work, I read all day and the next. You know how something just rings true even if it goes against the grain of all other recommendations....that is Ray Peat. I feel like he speaks the truth as he knows it. He is like a wise father who is not influenced by anything other than the science. His depth of knowledge is incredible. After implementing some of his recommendation and seeing improvement in energy and sleep I knew I could move forward with confidence I was on the right path.

mbarvian

To be honest, I just feel good eating the foods he recommends (though I'd agree there's no prototypal Peat diet), but also it's really heartwarming to see a nutritionist these days publish such articles and respond to emails so selflessly.

burtlancast

He's the only one who comes with a reasonable explanation on the mystery of why Gerson could never give any kind of oils to his cancer patients.

I mean even Charlotte Gerson could never explain the oil problem.

Her father did incorporate the flaxseed empirically right at the end of his life, and Charlotte interpreted it as the beneficial effect of the omega 3, when in fact it's the CBD and LINMARIN (a hydrogen cyanide compound) contained in flaxseed which have the anti-cancer effects.

gabriel79

It was suggested by one guy in a Yahoo group about 10 years ago. We were discussing W Price work so we were already aware of the benefits of saturated fats and we looked at PUFAs with suspicion. Peat's work was also quite aligned with other authors like Dr Wong (pro testosterone and progesterone and anti estrogen) but in general Peat could explain a lot better. I was quite amazed by how he referenced all his writings, and that he was not actually selling anything. Most of us were on some kind of lowish carb diet (not too low if you think that we were very pro W Price too). At that time Peat's recommendations were interpreted by us as moderate carb, moderate fat and protein, so it was not crazy at all. We were also aware of some of Selye's work so Peat fitted well there too. In the end, Peat was the only one providing, or trying at least to provide, a general view of health while most others could only see a part of the picture and not make a coherent whole. One of the guys in this group was who introduced Peat's work to this blogger in 180degree (I think he changed the blog name afterwards).

sm1693

If Peat put any real effort into selling any product or trying to make money, I would have distrusted him completely.

I wonder if he looks at people making money by stealing his ideas as hyenas, or perhaps he just feels sorry for them as unoriginal members of the species.

Sheik

I don't believe in his work.

What has made me so enthusiastic about his work is that I recognize that he's the kind of person to disregard all dogma and never really arrive at a solid conclusion. Always willing to question previous conclusions. Not denying any possibility for the sake of one's ego. He's an INTP and I love INTPs. I also happen to be a proud INTP.

Plus that he's got such a deep understanding of so many things. A depth that most people will never recognize because they are not interested in having a perfect knowledge for its own sake.

BingDing

That thyroid is the main regulator of metabolism and his emphasis on that. It is so fundamentally sensible. Every cell has to make its own energy, that is the biochemical basis of all life and there is no plan B. I am sometimes surprised that so few health "gurus" even mention it, much less emphasize it.

The truth about PUFAs. There is a broad question of "What changed in the 20th century that caused all this illness and disease?" Ancel Keys fraudulently asserted it was an increase in saturated fat consumption. Another guy asserted it was an increase in sugar consumption. We've suffered under these erroneous ideas for 50 years now.

A good alternative is an increase in the consumption of refined oil high in PUFAs. In 1900 you couldn't buy a bottle of corn oil, or safflower oil, etc. Nobody made it. People used lard or tallow for frying and butter for baking, and olive oil, coconut oil, and palm oil in regions that produced those.

I agree with the salesmanship aspect of many health gurus. But I would love to read RP's books and old newsletters, I'd be happy to buy them if he would make them available. Grrr.

narouz

BingDing said:
That thyroid is the main regulator of metabolism and his emphasis on that. It is so fundamentally sensible. Every cell has to make its own energy, that is the biochemical basis of all life and there is no plan B. I am sometimes surprised that so few health "gurus" even mention it, much less emphasize it.

The truth about PUFAs. There is a broad question of "What changed in the 20th century that caused all this illness and disease?" Ancel Keys fraudulently asserted it was an increase in saturated fat consumption. Another guy asserted it was an increase in sugar consumption. We've suffered under these erroneous ideas for 50 years now.

A good alternative is an increase in the consumption of refined oil high in PUFAs. In 1900 you couldn't buy a bottle of corn oil, or safflower oil, etc. Nobody made it. People used lard or tallow for frying and butter for baking, and olive oil, coconut oil, and palm oil in regions that produced those.

I agree with the salesmanship aspect of many health gurus. But I would love to read RP's books and old newsletters, I'd be happy to buy them if he would make them available. Grrr.

Such a good post, Bing!

Zachs

Yea Josh rubin charges $1000 for a consult and he's basically just using all of Rays ideas. Ugh.

Ray Peat is the opposite of a health guru, he refuses to make a diet plan or way of eating and instead gives you the tools to figure it out for yourself. He does not expect or ask for anything in return and provides all of his work for free. Those were the first reasons I came to trust and follow his work. It really made me see just how big of charlatans Mark Sisson and others of his ilk are. Unwilling to change views in the face or contradicting evidence because it will make their wallet suffer.

Plus I have found MOST of his ideas spot on for me. He made me think of the bodies many systems and how food interacts with them in a whole new light.

A

Anonymous

Zachs said:
Yea Josh rubin charges $1000 for a consult and he's basically just using all of Rays ideas. Ugh.

Ray Peat is the opposite of a health guru, he refuses to make a diet plan or way of eating and instead gives you the tools to figure it out for yourself. He does not expect or ask for anything in return and provides all of his work for free. Those were the first reasons I came to trust and follow his work. It really made me see just how big of charlatans Mark Sisson and others of his ilk are. Unwilling to change views in the face or contradicting evidence because it will make their wallet suffer.

Plus I have found MOST of his ideas spot on for me. He made me think of the bodies many systems and how food interacts with them in a whole new light.

:salute

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals