What labs?

Discussion in 'Blood Work, Labs' started by lvysaur, Apr 5, 2014.

  1. lvysaur

    lvysaur Member

    Mar 15, 2014
    22 year old male with hair loss, coming off of years of omega 3 supplementation, and a year or so of low carb, intermittent fasting.

    What should I get checked? Prolactin, Vitamin D, T3, T4, TSH, Testosterone, Estradiol, SHBG, etc?

    Is there a way to measure Prostaglandin D2 (a causative factor in hair loss) levels, or prostaglandin levels in general?
  2. mas

    mas Member

    Feb 12, 2014
    The prostaglandin test is called PGD2. This test is used for people with mast cell disorders because often prostaglandins are elevated.(with my "allergies" I now suspect mast cells are involved and I have been looking into this)


    I know Mayo and large medical centers do the test. If your doctor even knows about this 24 hour urine test, it is still tricky because you have to refrigerate the urine and it can not be out no more than 15 minutes in normal air temperature or the prostaglandins in the urine degrade making the test invalid. So if you ship your sample to a lab far away from you, it is likely that it would be exposed to room temperature.

    If you could go to a major medical center with your doctors approval that would ensure an accurate test. It's quite a hassle.