What lab work do I need?

HDD

I went to local lab and did the following thyroid tests: TSH, FT4, T3UP, Total T4, and FTI

I am going tomorrow for lipid evaluation to make sure my cholesterol is high enough. Are there any other tests that are necessary or crucial in evaluating my thyroid or overall health?

I am planning on starting thyroid medication and wanted to test what would be ideal before beginning medication.

Mittir

I do not see total T3 or free T3 there. That is the active hormone and RP recommends total T3 test.
In addition to RP recommended test for thyroid, i also use PTH and serum calcium test, serum CO2, Liver ALT and AST,
Total triglyceride, prolactin, transferrin saturation index, Ferritin . If you have too much iron storage ,just donating
blood will improve many health issues significantly. PTH is controlled by calcium, D and K, it play a big role in over all health. If you can, test for vitamin D3 too.

Here is a RP quote

Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.

Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism.

OP
H

HDD

Thank you, Mittir.
I cannot get any other thyroid tests other than this unless I go to a physician. I can get ferritin, cortisol, glucose, vitamin D, estradiol, and progesterone. Each test has a separate cost. Vitamin D being the highest at $30. I do not have insurance so everything is out of pocket. I would need a Dr. to order the other tests you listed.

I am not sure what is most important of the ones I can get. I will have the thyroid test results tomorrow but I guess they are not really helpful?

I cannot donate blood because of former dx.

Mittir

It seems very odd doctor decided to order all these tests and omitted total T3 test. TSH and Total T4 are quite useful information, especially TSH. But total T3 is the most important of all the thyroid tests.
Just TSH and Total T4 can help with decision on thyroid med. Total cholesterol test you are having
is essential. Knowing T3 helps to gauge improvement with thyroid hormone.
Temperature, pulse and overall feeling are quite useful to know if supplement is working or not.
You do not need to worry about other tests, those are useful but not essential.
In Danny Roddy email advice page RP has said lot of things about dosing.
He recommends to start with a very small dose.
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/ ... tandi.html

Dan W

I think Mittir is right about not worrying about the other tests.

I assume you're in the US? If so, there's several providers that can order tests without a physician; I'm building a database of their prices, with the lowest currently being Life Extension with a total T3 test for about $33 or a free t3 test for about $36 (based on choosing the monthly membership and then cancelling afterwards).

I don't know if this is cheap enough to cancel your lipid test for, but DirectLabs has a lipid panel on sale for $19. Plus they have a discount coupon floating around the internet.

Can you tell I'm a cheapskate? :lol:

4peatssake

Dan Wich said:
I think Mittir is right about not worrying about the other tests.

I assume you're in the US? If so, there's several providers that can order tests without a physician; I'm building a database of their prices, with the lowest currently being Life Extension with a total T3 test for about $33 or a free t3 test for about $36 (based on choosing the monthly membership and then cancelling afterwards).

I don't know if this is cheap enough to cancel your lipid test for, but DirectLabs has a lipid panel on sale for $19. Plus they have a discount coupon floating around the internet.

Can you tell I'm a cheapskate? :lol:
Good stuff Dan, as always.
Here's a link to a 10 per cent off coupon and other Direct Lab discounts from RetailMeNot that were used successfully today.

Here is an older coupon code for 20 per cent off at Direct Labs
I could not tell if it still works, however.

coupon code: AUT

20% off

The website will ask for the coupon code when you get to the actual purchasing
functions.

Source

OP
H

HDD

Thank you, Mittir, Dan, and 4ps,

I did not go to a Dr. to get the blood work. I went to the lab that will do a certain amount of blood work for anyone who wants to pay for it. Anything besides what they have listed requires a Dr.

Has anyone used the online test? Do you pay them and then again a fee to the lab that draws the blood? I don't get how it works.

I decided to only do lipids today for $10. I will pick up results next week.

Results of thyroid panel-

TSH. 1.112
FT4. 1.00
T4. 7.9
T3 Uptake. 32.4

Free Thyroxine Index. 2.6

Dan W

I'll leave the heavy lifting to Mittir, but I think the TSH, FT4, and total T4 aren't too bad. The T3 labs would be more telling.

Is the local lab independently-owned (not a chain or anything)? I'm intrigued by their great prices.

I've used the online tests 4 times now, though it's been Life Extension every time. However, all the companies are pretty similar:
1) You order online.
2) Their doctor writes you a requisition.
3) You take the requisition to the blood-draw office (always LabCorp, I think) where it's drawn without charge to you.
4) The results are e-mailed to you.

I've never had any real problems with the process; just one instance where the LabCorp office made a mistake on the draw process, which was refunded.

Mittir

Your TSH and T4 looks quite good. Are you taking any progesterone or pregnenolone?
Progesterone can improve thyroid hormone secretion from thyroid gland and that will keep your
TSH low. Do you follow your temperature and pulse?
T3 and reverse T3 can give an idea if T4 being converted to T3 or rT3.
If you have a healthy level of T3 then you will need vitamin A and cholesterol to make
protective hormones like progesterone, pregnolone, DHEA. But if you take more vitamin A
than you need, the excess vitamin A can block thyroid function.
Your total cholesterol level will give an good idea about your thyroid status.
If you have problem with converting T4 to T3 in liver you will need
selenium, good blood sugar level, glycogen storage and active thyroid.
Excess cortisol causes production of reverse T3.

OP
H

HDD

@Dan The lab is affiliated with local hospital.
There is a LabCorp nearby, so if or when I need T3, I will us the Life Extension. Thanks for explaining it.

@Mittir Thank you.
I do take Progest-E, about 6 drops nightly, and occasionally, 3-4 in the day. I used to supplement with pregnenolone daily, but now 25-50 mg. maybe once or twice a week.
I eat shrimp, oysters, liver (some), and supplement Vitamin A. My temperatures rise to 98.6+ most days, I go outside several times per week. Pulse is 80's+. It is very hot and humid now, so keeping temperature up is easier. I sit by 250 watt heat lamp in evening before sleep.

Cholesterol. 296 :-o
Triglycerides. 230
HDL. 63
LDL. 187
Ratio 4.7 (chol/HDL)

I suppose a Dr. would want me on statins.

The high cholesterol means my thyroid is not doing it's job, correct?

J

j.

Haagendazendiane said:
I wonder if higher than 250 is greater than ok even in the more relaxed Peat scale. I was reading yesterday that gamma tocopherol, a form of vitamin E, reduces cholesterol, I think in a few weeks, if you don't want to use thyroid.

Mittir

At the end of In KMUD Sugar II a lady asked a question about having cholesterol above 300.
In response RP mentioned a nursing home study which showed that
older people with cholesterol level around 280 lived longer and Statin is quite bad for health.
He also mentioned a study where people above 50 were more likely to develop Alzheimers when cholesterol was
below 200. Since cholesterol is a protective substance i would not worry that much.

Based on your TSH, Temperature, Pulse and use of progesterone it seems like your thyroid
function is quite good. I am assuming you are measuring temp and pulse 2 hours after breakfast.
Measuring your total T3 would be quite useful now.
One possibility is that you have good level of T3 but lack of other nutrients ( Vitamin A,
i do not know how affective are vitamin A supplements) are blocking
conversion of cholesterol to other good hormones. Another possibility is that
you are eating more sugar than your body can handle and that is increasing your cholesterol.
How much sugar are you eating everyday? RP also mentioned in Danny Roddy page that one can use
very small amount of T3 and watch the reaction. If it increases temperature, pulse and
good feeling that would indicate a need for T3 and then you can convert that amount to T4 + T3 dose.
T3 directly lowers cholesterol. You also need to lower the TSH below 0.4 level.

OP
H

HDD

Mittir said:
At the end of In KMUD Sugar II a lady asked a question about having cholesterol above 300.
In response RP mentioned a nursing home study which showed that
older people with cholesterol level around 280 lived longer and Statin is quite bad for health.
He also mentioned a study where people above 50 were more likely to develop Alzheimers when cholesterol was
below 200. Since cholesterol is a protective substance i would not worry that much.

**I am 56 and my father had Alzheimers.

Based on your TSH, Temperature, Pulse and use of progesterone it seems like your thyroid
function is quite good. I am assuming you are measuring temp and pulse 2 hours after breakfast.

**Temperature yesterday 11:00 a.m. -99.2, pulse - 83 bpm
today 11:45 a.m. - 98.5, pulse - 83 bpm

Measuring your total T3 would be quite useful now.

**What will the total T3 reveal?

One possibility is that you have good level of T3 but lack of other nutrients ( Vitamin A,
i do not know how affective are vitamin A supplements) are blocking
conversion of cholesterol to other good hormones. Another possibility is that
you are eating more sugar than your body can handle and that is increasing your cholesterol.
How much sugar are you eating everyday?

**I have been consuming quite a bit of sugar. Orange juice, watermelon, white sugar, honey, and pepsi. I have not kept track of amount. Is there a recommended amount? I have a tendency to get hypoglycemic.

RP also mentioned in Danny Roddy page that one can use
very small amount of T3 and watch the reaction. If it increases temperature, pulse and
good feeling that would indicate a need for T3 and then you can convert that amount to T4 + T3 dose.
T3 directly lowers cholesterol. You also need to lower the TSH below 0.4 level.

** I was going to use NDT. Would it be better to have the synthetic so I can use T3 only?
Even though my temperatures and pulse are good, I have trouble relaxing. I get very tight shoulder muscles and have frequent insomnia. I know RP recommends a little T3 before bed to help relax.

Thank you for all your help, Mittir.

Mittir

Hypoglycemia can cause a lot of problems. RP recommends 33 to 50 percent of calories from sugar.
In a 2000 calorie diet it is about 185 grams to 250 grams of sugar.
Sugar is very good at keeping your blood sugar steady. But you need to eat some protein with sugar,
best is to have small frequent meals with sugar, protein and little bit of oil.

I read an article that showed in ketosis diabetic patient had lower T3 and TSH.
It seems like low T3 can lower TSH. T3 is the active hormone, this is the best indicator
among all the thyroid tests. Your temperature and pulse are fine.
RP uses synthetic only, cynoplus and cynomel. I think it is the best idea.
You need regular T4 to keep TSH in check and you can use separate T3
depending on how you feel.

You have to make sure you are getting at least 80 grams of protein and
good amount of vitamins and minerals. I have found following things very useful
Use of 500 watt incandescent light, and f.lux to minimize blue light from computer screen
Weekly serving of about 8 oz of beef liver. RP recommends 3-6 oz weekly.
Getting about 2000 mg of calcium and keeping phosphorus low.
Avoiding protein rich foods, fiber and starch after sunset. A glass of milk before bed is ok.
Daily carrot salad in the afternoon.
Regular 400 IU natural mixed tocopherols vitamin E
2000 IU vitamin D orally or 4000 IU vitamin D on skin.

OP
H

HDD

j. said:
Haagendazendiane said:
I wonder if higher than 250 is greater than ok even in the more relaxed Peat scale. I was reading yesterday that gamma tocopherol, a form of vitamin E, reduces cholesterol, I think in a few weeks, if you don't want to use thyroid.

Thanks, j.

I take 400 IU of the Unique E almost every day. I had quit taking it for a while but started again about a month ago.

OP
H

HDD

Mittir said:
Hypoglycemia can cause a lot of problems. RP recommends 33 to 50 percent of calories from sugar.
In a 2000 calorie diet it is about 185 grams to 250 grams of sugar.
Sugar is very good at keeping your blood sugar steady. But you need to eat some protein with sugar,
best is to have small frequent meals with sugar, protein and little bit of oil.

I read an article that showed in ketosis diabetic patient had lower T3 and TSH.
It seems like low T3 can lower TSH. T3 is the active hormone, this is the best indicator
among all the thyroid tests. Your temperature and pulse are fine.
RP uses synthetic only, cynoplus and cynomel. I think it is the best idea.
You need regular T4 to keep TSH in check and you can use separate T3
depending on how you feel.

You have to make sure you are getting at least 80 grams of protein and
good amount of vitamins and minerals. I have found following things very useful
Use of 500 watt incandescent light, and f.lux to minimize blue light from computer screen
Weekly serving of about 8 oz of beef liver. RP recommends 3-6 oz weekly.
Getting about 2000 mg of calcium and keeping phosphorus low.
Avoiding protein rich foods, fiber and starch after sunset. A glass of milk before bed is ok.
Daily carrot salad in the afternoon.
Regular 400 IU natural mixed tocopherols vitamin E
2000 IU vitamin D orally or 4000 IU vitamin D on skin.

Thank you again, Mittir. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. I keep reading and reading to try to understand how it all fits together.

I am getting the total T3 test and I ordered the cynomel and cynoplus.

OP
H

HDD

Life Extension/LabCorp is quick!

Total T3. 113

Reference. 71-180

Mittir

Total T3 of 113 looks good. In one study the control group had 130 average.
RP never mentioned an optimal level of T3. Middle of the reference range is about 125.
I believe there is room for improvement on T3.
If you decide to use thyroid you may need to start with a very small dose.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It doesn't tell how much of the hormone is getting into the cell. :2cents