What Is Wrong With My Gf´s Teeth?

pro marker

a week ago i woke up to her crying because "my teeth are ruined!!"
suddenly they looked like this, kinda see-through on the bottom and they have these dark lines going down them. she eats a horrible diet but has always had very nice teeth. they were always white. she found a picture a week prior to noticing her teeth had changed, and they look fine there. so this must have happened very quickly. the night before she had gone out drinking. she feels no pain or difference.
here are some possible causes i can think of.

we moved into a new place 3 weeks ago and since then:
she stopped using toothpaste.
she has been brushing less.
she started eating a big salad every day with vinegar and lemon.
she also eats a lot of tomatoes and garlic.

personally i think all the acid has washed her enamel away. strange how they changed so quickly.

ive got her to start drinking a lot of milk and cheese now, while staying away from anything acidic. advice greatly appreciated! im also having her staying away from very sugary things. ill have her try toothpaste for a couple of days to see if anything improves.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 252

Tarmander

uhh, I would say those last two options with the super acidic stuff is the culprit.

Dairy in my experience rarely helps teeth.

Sounds like a real gem...tons of garlic and vinegar, eats terribly, and doesn't brush her teeth

schultz

Was the move stressful? Apparently stress can cause a rapid degeneration of the teeth. It appears her enamel has thinned making the dentin underneath visible.

At the very least, cheese brings the saliva pH back up and prevents acidic saliva. Milk probably does as well but not as well as cheese.

Summer

The only people who can probably get away without brushing are strict carnivores. Vinegar, lemon juice and other carbs with their sugars and phytic acid are detrimental to teeth. Ideally one should at least perform a rinse (preferably with some baking soda) after eating any of those things.

OP
P

pro marker

The only people who can probably get away without brushing are strict carnivores. Vinegar, lemon juice and other carbs with their sugars and phytic acid are detrimental to teeth. Ideally one should at least perform a rinse (preferably with some baking soda) after eating any of those things.
when i was strict carnivore i didnt ever brush my teeth and i could bite through rock. sugar is really bad for my teeth but i feel terrible without it. peating has been bad for my teeth and made them very yellow.

Summer

when i was strict carnivore i didnt ever brush my teeth and i could bite through rock. sugar is really bad for my teeth but i feel terrible without it. peating has been bad for my teeth and made them very yellow.

Yeah I hear you on that. It’s a trade off. I feel dead tired without carbs.

OP
P

pro marker

Was the move stressful? Apparently stress can cause a rapid degeneration of the teeth. It appears her enamel has thinned making the dentin underneath visible.

At the very least, cheese brings the saliva pH back up and prevents acidic saliva. Milk probably does as well but not as well as cheese.

yes, the move was actually extremely stressful. everything went wrong and we ended up spending 8 horrible days living in our car while she had the worst flu of her life, she even had breathing difficulty at one point. mightve been corona idk. probobably the most stressfull period of my life.

TheSir

Sounds like a real gem...tons of garlic and vinegar, eats terribly, and doesn't brush her teeth
Lol! I agree that vinegar sounds like a possible culprit. Though in my experience it seems that teeth can change their transparency by surprising amounts within the span of a couple of days based on what you have eaten, how stressed you feel etc.

Jessie

Maybe encourage alternative methods to dental hygiene that don't involve brushing so much. Too much brushing is bad for the enamel. I use a charcoal mouthwash by Hello, it's very good and antiseptic to the mouth. I also put 4-5 drops Kuinone (vitamin K) into some coconut oil and pull it for about 5-10 minutes daily. Make sure to rinse the mouth with water after eating something sugary or acidic. Balancing calcium with phosphate can support tooth health as well. I wouldn't recommend brushing unless it's absolutely necessary to get rid of hard stains or something. Brushing once or twice a week is the most I would recommend for someone looking to preserve their enamel.

Vinny

yes, the move was actually extremely stressful. everything went wrong and we ended up spending 8 horrible days living in our car while she had the worst flu of her life, she even had breathing difficulty at one point. mightve been corona idk. probobably the most stressfull period of my life.
The stress from the move, the lack of sleep and the flu depleted her micronutrients, the acids in the diet finished the job. The booze probably contributed too (one loses minerals). No bueno. I think you've got a full picture already.

rei

I lived for a long time in constant stress and my teeth have cavities and i have similar "transparency" but without the black in my front teeth. I believe long-term stress metabolism is enough to cause it. Sadly fixing the stress has not been able to reverse it, but thankfully all further deterioration has stopped and they are not cold sensitive any longer.

lvysaur

Vinegar. I had zero tooth problems for 24 years, one summer I started eating brushetta, chipped tooth a month afterwards. No issues since then.

Inaut

Definitely the acids.... I’d recommend starting with sea salt rinses and brushing teeth with a Novamin containing tooth paste. I know it willl have fluoride in it but it’s the best product I’ve found for restoring enamel (to some degree)

michael94

calcium therapy institute stuff would help. I wonder why night of drinking had that effect since alcohol doesnt damage teeth as far as I know? maybe it does in a non direct way

schultz

That sucks! Moving is already stressful, even when everything goes right. I feel like this contributed largely to the problem with her teeth. The vinegar may have contributed, but I personally don't think it is the major cause (unless she was munching on vinegary salads all day, but one meal a day of salad with vinegar would not cause that in and of itself ... again, my opinion.)

Ray said this previously to someone over e-mail:

"Stress weakens teeth from the inside, drawing mineral from the dentine; the dentine is the part that can regenerate, not the enamel. Thyroid function is the most important thing for limiting stress.

Stress typically causes calcium to be removed from the small channels in the dentine, and it tends to be unequal, resulting in spots of discoloration in some teeth, that can develop into cavities. Thyroid is the most important antistress hormone as well as influencing the saliva and immunity."

He has also mentioned on podcasts that stress can quickly cause an outbreak of dental caries.

If what he says is true and is what has happened to your GF, then it may not be so bad. Her enamel is still intact and the dentine can regenerate which could cause the discoloration to go away.

Edit: Was it spinach salads? Doesn't spinach do something to the teeth as well?

Ben.

I've this issue with my teeths too. But unlike her i've alot of other health issues too.

Vinny's micronutrient depletion theory seems plausible to me. Hope there is going to be some progress for your girlfriend.
Should i figure something out for myself i'll try to come back here.

Sheik

I've heard good things about nano hydroxyapatite toothpaste for remineralizing teeth.

Jib

I've heard good things about nano hydroxyapatite toothpaste for remineralizing teeth.

I have yet to try the newer remineralizing toothpastes, but I can absolutely vouch for Novamin, such as in Sensodyne with Novamin.

The key is not to rinse after. I brush my teeth normally and rinse (after flossing), then lightly brush with remineralizing toothpaste (and I do mean lightly), let it sit in my mouth for a minute or two, then spit out. And don't rinse. Leave it on your teeth. It works great. It's worked wonders for my tooth sensitivity. You can even do this a couple times a day if you want for added protection.

mostlylurking

I've struggled with sensitive teeth for many years. I now use Squiggle toothpaste found here: https://www.amazon.com/Squigle-Toot...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It does seem to help! Prior to finding the Squiggle toothpaste, I used a mild baking soda based toothpaste that turned out to be too abrasive. I recently learned on line that red light can help with sensitivity. My dentist does have a tiny red light they use for something else. I plan to ask if I can get a treatment with it to help with the sensitivity at the gum line I recently developed. I blame the watermelon.

Mad

Does your new place have high amounts of fluoride in the water that you weren't used to? Maybe look into dental fluorosis if so.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals