What Is True Hyperthyroidism?

Dhair

I'm not sure what to make of hyperthyroidism as a diagnosis. Ray Peat says that it's basically hypothyroidism is disguise. If this is the case, then why do people think taking a higher dose of thyroid will make them hyperthyroid?
In other words, how can hyperthyroidism be mimicked by thyroid supplementation if it is anti-stress and pro-thyroid? And how do studies differentiate between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism? What are the true biomarkers of hyper?
I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a consensus here of a true definition of the condition.

lampofred

I think Peat has said the condition does exist and that he has seen a couple of people who were truly hyperthyroid but that symptoms like bulging eyes which are typically associated with hyperthyroidism are actually signs of hypothyroidism. I don't think he defined what "true hyperthyroidism" was, but I would assume he based it on an excessive pulse rate/temperature because those two metrics are what he uses to determine thyroid function.

Acarpous

I recall from an interview (I don't recall which one) that he talked with a couple of women whose thyroid was over active for some reason and that for a few days to a couple of weeks they had pink skin, high pulse rate, and felt the best that they ever had.

Collden

I think Peat has said the condition does exist and that he has seen a couple of people who were truly hyperthyroid but that symptoms like bulging eyes which are typically associated with hyperthyroidism are actually signs of hypothyroidism. I don't think he defined what "true hyperthyroidism" was, but I would assume he based it on an excessive pulse rate/temperature because those two metrics are what he uses to determine thyroid function.
Bulging eyes can occur with both hyper and hypothyroidism.

I dont think there really are any reliable biomarkers of hyperthyroidism, both temperature and pulse rate can be elevated for other reasons. The only real sign is consistently high energy levels combined with big appetite.
Two pretty clear-cut examples of "true" hyperthyroidism would be Marty Feldman and Rodney Dangerfield, both characterised by very intense and energetic personalities, expressive faces and frenetic body language, basically not capable of being still for a second, example with Rodney:

DaveFoster

I'm not sure what to make of hyperthyroidism as a diagnosis. Ray Peat says that it's basically hypothyroidism is disguise. If this is the case, then why do people think taking a higher dose of thyroid will make them hyperthyroid?
In other words, how can hyperthyroidism be mimicked by thyroid supplementation if it is anti-stress and pro-thyroid? And how do studies differentiate between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism? What are the true biomarkers of hyper?
I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a consensus here of a true definition of the condition.

Hyperthyroidism: overheating; pounding heartbeat; deeper breathing.

"Although I had stopped using the unsaturated seed oils years ago, and supposed that I wasn't heavily saturated with toxic unsaturated fat, when I first used coconut oil I saw an immediate response, that convinced me my metabolism was chronically inhibited by something that was easily alleviated by "dilution" or molecular competition. I had put a tablespoonful of coconut oil on some rice I had for supper, and half an hour later while I was reading, I noticed I was breathing more deeply than normal. I saw that my skin was pink, and I found that my pulse was faster than normal--about 98, I think. After an hour or two, my pulse and breathing returned to normal. Every day for a couple of weeks I noticed the same response while I was digesting a small amount of coconut oil, but gradually it didn't happen any more, and I increased my daily consumption of the oil to about an ounce. I kept eating the same foods as before (including a quart of ice cream every day), except that I added about 200 or 250 calories per day as coconut oil. Apparently the metabolic surges that happened at first were an indication that my body was compensating for an anti-thyroid substance by producing more thyroid hormone; when the coconut oil relieved the inhibition, I experienced a moment of slight hyperthyroidism, but after a time the inhibitor became less effective, and my body adjusted by producing slightly less thyroid hormone. But over the next few months, I saw that my weight was slowly and consistently decreasing. It had been steady at 185 pounds for 25 years, but over a period of six months it dropped to about 175 pounds. I found that eating more coconut oil lowered my weight another few pounds, and eating less caused it to increase."

Reference: Coconut Oil

Hypothyroidism: cold extremities, low blood sugar; anxiety; fatigue; depression; dry skin; edema; inability to go very long without hunger; craving sweets.

Reference:

The following signs and symptoms can indicate your thyroid function may be low:
  • Fatigue
  • Increased sensitivity to cold
  • Constipation
  • Dry skin
  • Weight gain
  • Puffy face
  • Hoarseness
  • Muscle weakness
  • Elevated blood cholesterol level
  • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
  • Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
  • Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
  • Thinning hair
  • Slowed heart rate
  • Depression
  • Impaired memory
Reference: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms and causes

Last edited:
High level of FT3 combined with high thyroid sensitivity and rate of turnover in cells.

It's not something that is easy to measure on a lab test, because just showing high FT3 is not enough. My FT3 was over range yet I had none of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism and all of those of hypo. A high FT3 with low utilization or thyroid hormone resistance will not manifest as hyperthyroidism.

Best to judge by physical symptoms. Just look at those with Graves for example.

bavy

High level of FT3 combined with high thyroid sensitivity and rate of turnover in cells.

It's not something that is easy to measure on a lab test, because just showing high FT3 is not enough. My FT3 was over range yet I had none of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism and all of those of hypo. A high FT3 with low utilization or thyroid hormone resistance will not manifest as hyperthyroidism.

Best to judge by physical symptoms. Just look at those with Graves for example.
What do people with Graves usually look like?

equipoise

What do people with Graves usually look like?
My friend was diagnosed with Graves a couple of years ago and let me tell you we couldnt recognize him after a summer. His face completely changed, the eye area was obviously the most affected. He has lost so much weight, both muscle and fat. Really terrible though

bavy

My friend was diagnosed with Graves a couple of years ago and let me tell you we couldnt recognize him after a summer. His face completely changed, the eye area was obviously the most affected. He has lost so much weight, both muscle and fat. Really terrible though
Gosh, i am so sorry.

I still have the hypo chin and weight gain...I should be good. I wasn't sure if the chin was specifically hypo or graves as well.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
My boss' ex at 42 yo had heart failure due to undiagnosed hyperthyroidism.

He seems to be fine now, but had been having edematous feet from the heart failure.

Prior to the heart failure, he would get out of breath fast and had bulging eyes. They never checked his pulse before the incident. But when my boss saw the feet edema, she sent him straight to the hospital where they found out about his hyperthyroidism. I am not sure how they are treating him, but he was discharged with his thyroid gland still in him.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals