What Is Transfat-Free PUFA Oils That Are Still Liquid At Room Temp?

shepherdgirl

yerrag said:
Trans fats are partially hydrogenated oils. So if they're not, am I mistaken to think that they have to be either fully unsaturated or fully hydrogenated? Anything in between has to be transfats? I'm sure I'm wrong thinking this way somehow.

. Like tara said, partially hydrogenated oils contain trans fats. The trans fatty acids are between unsaturated and saturated. Fully hydrogenated oil contains no trans fats.

Forgive me if i am repeating something, as i have not read this entire thread. But i have asked a chemist about trans fats, and he explained that a double bond between two carbons was a necessary condition for trans fat - hence full saturation would eliminate trans fats, because all the carbons would share single bonds. Also triple bonded carbons cannot have the trans configuration. But just because a fat molecule has a double carbon bond, that does not mean it is in the trans configuration.
The trans fat molecule is, as far as i understand, counted as an unsaturated (or possibly monounsaturated) fat molecule. It's not as if it's some different kind of fat.
I have read that there are naturally occurring trans fats in dairy, from the cow's hydrogenating of the unsaturated oils it's consuming. I have also read that oil extraction and deodorization processes create trans fats in oils. I don't know whether there are other natural processes that create trans fat. I don't know whether this configuration occurs naturally without any hydrogenating process.