What Is This Lime For Nixtamalization Of Corn For Masa Harin

freal

What exactly is this lime, where do you buy it if you are in Europe, I havent seen that anywhere (nobody sells whole corn kernels either).
I am wondering would that be suitable for destroying the antinutrients in brown rice or buckwheat or oats.

Re: What is this lime for nixtamalization of corn for masa h

I think it's just sodium hydroxide in water. Our best bet is to find masa flour and then make tortillas. However the term "masa" might not always imply the alkaline treatment, for example I found a local manifacturer and they simply mention "cooking" of the flour on their website.

burtlancast

That's lime, or CaO (highly reactive).
The hydrated form is Ca(OH)2.
One can buy a 40 pounds hydrated lime bag in any construction depository, for about 25 bucks.

OP
F

freal

burtlancast said:
That's lime, or CaO (highly reactive).
The hydrated form is Ca(OH)2.
One can buy a 40 pounds hydrated lime bag in any construction depository, for about 25 bucks.

Builders lime isnt exactly a food grade product, its most probably filled with heavy metals, at least.

Not that I would bother doing (maybe), can it be used on brown rice and other grains, would you destroy the phytic acid and rest of anti nutrients?

burtlancast

freal said:
Builders lime isnt exactly a food grade product, its most probably filled with heavy metals, at least.

Not that I would bother doing (maybe), can it be used on brown rice and other grains, would you destroy the phytic acid and rest of anti nutrients?

I agree it wouldn't be a food grade product, but to be even safer, you could try getting reactive lime (CaO) and then hydrate it yourself.

Nixtamalisation only requires a very minute amount of lime, anyway. It's meant to free the niacine content in corn.

Dunno about the phytic acid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals