What is the significance of grating the carrot?

Satan

I really like being lazy. It's a man's way of living. For me, this means I will often just eat the carrot whole with a couple spoonfuls of coconut oil. Does it really have to be grated? I'm considering buying the bags of shredded carrots instead unless there's something wrong with those.

kiran

You can eat the carrot whole, that's fine. The only potential issue there is with the stress on the teeth, I think.

The carrots have to be grated lengthwise to get the benefits.

chris

kiran said:
The carrots have to be grated lengthwise to get the benefits.

I don't believe this. If I grated a carrot lengthwise and another widthwise, after I had chewed them both in my mouth by the time I swallow there will be no difference will there?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I never understood the lengthwise thing either.

kiran

I imagine chewing them isn't nearly as thorough as grating would be. Besides, I have found that I don't chew it all that much once it's grated anyway.

chris

kiran said:
I imagine chewing them isn't nearly as thorough as grating would be. Besides, I have found that I don't chew it all that much once it's grated anyway.

I believe there is a difference between grating and not grating, what I don't think is a big deal is the direction in which we grate.

John Eels

Stress on the teeth?! Ideally, lamb rackets and other expensive meat cuts are eaten blended with OJ and a pinch of salt to reduce stress response on teeth :) lol

kettlebell

I believe the main reason Ray talks about grating it is so you can add the olive oil/coconut oil, salt and vinegar so it absorbs well into the strips of carrot. That makes it more anti bacterial.

He says in lots of interviews you don't even need to do that. You can eat the carrot without grating and it will be almost as effective.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Aaaaaaah, that makes sense.

John Eels

Hm, that's a good point. The grated carrot is good carrier for other relevant substances like coconunt oil etc. How much carrot salad do you eat per day? Is there an added benefit to eating carrots two times per day that is relevant or is the added benefit negligible? I try to reduce bacterial endotoxin.

kettlebell

I eat one large carrot per salad and that will significantly reduce bacterial endotoxin and as a result also reduce estrogen and serotonin and increase Pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA. The key is consistency, doing it every day and maintaining it maximises the benefits.

If you are hypothyroid having more than one a day risks carotene overload which in itself is anti thyroid. It also depletes B vitamins significantly as your body tries to convert to vitamin A.

J

j.

Could two many carrot salads (more than one?) contain more beta-carotene than desirable?

Primal2Peat

I eat a whole carrot with coconut oil and vinegar every OTHER day right now.

When I was doing it every day I would get the runs.

I like chewing the carrot. It feels good. I chew it up into a fine powder.

gretchen

kettlebell said:
I eat one large carrot per salad and that will significantly reduce bacterial endotoxin and as a result also reduce estrogen and serotonin and increase Pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA. The key is consistency, doing it every day and maintaining it maximises the benefits.

If you are hypothyroid having more than one a day risks carotene overload which in itself is anti thyroid. It also depletes B vitamins significantly as your body tries to convert to vitamin A.

Thanks, kettlebell. I wondered if more carrots would be better, but I guess not.

narouz

Satan said:
I really like being lazy. It's a man's way of living. For me, this means I will often just eat the carrot whole with a couple spoonfuls of coconut oil. Does it really have to be grated? I'm considering buying the bags of shredded carrots instead unless there's something wrong with those.

It builds character and nurtures moral uprightness. :ugeek:

Primal2Peat

John Eels said:
What are the effects the carrot salad have on you, Primal2Peat?

Well, when I go without it for a dew days, I get kinda backed up and sluggish feeling.

If I have too much, then I get diarrhea all day.

At first, I thought it was the coconut oil or vinegar but even carrots themselves will do it.

So, I lately I feel like it's a little detoxifier that I need only every other day.

I have a history of Ulcerative Colitis, so my intestines are probably still healing from that.

Raw milk was the first thing to give me relief from that, and that's still the main staple of my diet.

I'm not sure if I agree with some on here that we should have a "sterile" intestinal tract.

I think we need some good bacteria, but I'm keeping an open mind. I'm always experimenting.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I just stopped boiling my milk to see if there is any noticeable difference. I tend to agree with you P2P.

Thanks for the report on the carrot salad. Eventually I will get that down to a routine.