What is the reason teeth start to look translucent when whitening?

OP
I

ironfist

Are you sure? I've seen online it strengthens enamel, has no change, or weakens.

golder

Are you sure? I've seen online it strengthens enamel, has no change, or weakens.
The whitening process strengthens the enamel? Trying to work out how that would work? Intuitively it would be neutral at absolute best.

Phaedrus

Hydrogen peroxide, the active ingredient in most if not all teeth whitening products, definitely can weaken tooth enamel (especially high concentrations or just overuse).

One ingredient that is now known to whiten teeth, but with no harm to the enamel (or may even strengthen), is bromelain, an enzyme extracted from pineapple stems. I buy the pure stuff online for my own DIY whitening.

Inaut

Hydrogen peroxide, the active ingredient in most if not all teeth whitening products, definitely can weaken tooth enamel (especially high concentrations or just overuse).

One ingredient that is now known to whiten teeth, but with no harm to the enamel (or may even strengthen), is bromelain, an enzyme extracted from pineapple stems. I buy the pure stuff online for my own DIY whitening.
Is it very effective?

Thalgo

When I eat pineapple I get sore gums and tongue. Do you use pure bromelain or diluted in some way?

OP
I

ironfist

From google:

This line of products uses carbamide peroxide, the same key whitening ingredient as many other whiteners. What this line of products has that many whiteners lack is added fluoride and potassium nitrate to reduce sensitivity and make your teeth stronger.

I don't know if this is true.

OP
I

ironfist

Whitening damage — harmful for tooth health?​

Earlier research has shown that whitening products might also roughen or soften the tooth’s surface, Dr. Clemons says. But there’s a caveat. “These studies were done in a lab, not on living teeth,” she says.

It’s possible that the changes are temporary and could reverse after a person stops using teeth bleaching products. Even if the changes stick around, though, it’s not clear that they equal bad news for your choppers.

Phaedrus

Is it very effective?
Studies show evidence that it’s effective. Here’s one reference but you can easily find other studies out there.

Personally, my teeth have gotten significantly whiter and also less translucent since I started using bromelain but I can’t attribute it solely to that because it was part of a whole regimen I developed. A little background:

About a year ago, my dentist not only identified two new cavities, but looking in the mirror I was noticing the bottom of my front teeth had become translucent, so significantly that it startled me. In the next weeks I took the following approach:

1. Brushing twice a day with a toothpaste containing hydroxyapatite, a fluoride alternative used widely in Japan and other countries
2. Chewing gum containing Recaldent, a special casein protein which studies suggest can help remineralize teeth
3. Shining red light on teeth for a few minutes every couple of days
4. Rinsing mouth out (after drinking OJ or Coke) with homemade powder made of baking soda, xylitol, and bromelain powder.

So yes, my teeth rebounded significantly after instituting the above protocol - whiter, less translucent. But I can’t rightly say it was because of the bromelain.

Phaedrus

When I eat pineapple I get sore gums and tongue. Do you use pure bromelain or diluted in some way?
My mouth is also sensitive when I eat a lot of pineapple but the bromelain powder doesn’t cause any irritation for me surprisingly.

I use the plain bromelain powder you can buy online, but mixed with baking soda and xylitol in a homemade mouth rinse I swish with a couple times a day. So yes, diluted. But occasionally, I’ll also put some of the pure powder on a toothbrush and lightly brush it on and let it sit there for a minute before I rinse with water. Doesn’t seem to bother my tongue or gums.

OP
I

ironfist

This page says Opalescence company is good, it opens the pores and eventually they close back up.

However, there's literally a study on pubmed that says Opalescence damages teeth but the teeth were not real teeth but blocks in artificial saliva.

naevastar

Studies show evidence that it’s effective. Here’s one reference but you can easily find other studies out there.

Personally, my teeth have gotten significantly whiter and also less translucent since I started using bromelain but I can’t attribute it solely to that because it was part of a whole regimen I developed. A little background:

About a year ago, my dentist not only identified two new cavities, but looking in the mirror I was noticing the bottom of my front teeth had become translucent, so significantly that it startled me. In the next weeks I took the following approach:

1. Brushing twice a day with a toothpaste containing hydroxyapatite, a fluoride alternative used widely in Japan and other countries
2. Chewing gum containing Recaldent, a special casein protein which studies suggest can help remineralize teeth
3. Shining red light on teeth for a few minutes every couple of days
4. Rinsing mouth out (after drinking OJ or Coke) with homemade powder made of baking soda, xylitol, and bromelain powder.

So yes, my teeth rebounded significantly after instituting the above protocol - whiter, less translucent. But I can’t rightly say it was because of the bromelain.
Interesting :)
What brand of toothpaste do you use? And how did you mix the baking soda, xylitol and bromelain powder? I mean do you mix it with water?

Phaedrus

Interesting :)
What brand of toothpaste do you use? And how did you mix the baking soda, xylitol and bromelain powder? I mean do you mix it with water?
I use a brand called Bite. They are a US startup that makes “tooth bits”, little tabs that you chew up and then brush with. Not sure about their availability outside the US. I’ve tried other tooth bit competitor brands that tried to mimic Bite with hydroxyapatite as the active ingredient, but I didn’t like any of them as much.

As for my DIY mouthwash, the ratio I do is roughly three parts baking soda, two parts xylitol, and one part bromelain. I just keep that powder mix in a jar with a small spoon. I fling about 1/2 a tsp into my mouth (so I don’t have to put a wet spoon back in the jar), take a sip of water, and swish vigorously for about 30-60 seconds. At first I tried dissolving the entire jar of powder in water, but it would taste funky after a few days, and dissolving a small amount each day would be way too much work :)

naevastar

I use a brand called Bite. They are a US startup that makes “tooth bits”, little tabs that you chew up and then brush with. Not sure about their availability outside the US. I’ve tried other tooth bit competitor brands that tried to mimic Bite with hydroxyapatite as the active ingredient, but I didn’t like any of them as much.

As for my DIY mouthwash, the ratio I do is roughly three parts baking soda, two parts xylitol, and one part bromelain. I just keep that powder mix in a jar with a small spoon. I fling about 1/2 a tsp into my mouth (so I don’t have to put a wet spoon back in the jar), take a sip of water, and swish vigorously for about 30-60 seconds. At first I tried dissolving the entire jar of powder in water, but it would taste funky after a few days, and dissolving a small amount each day would be way too much work :)
Thanks so much ?Its actually a challenge in general to get a hold of any of these ingrediens and the chewing gum from Norway but I will give it a try ?

Bromelain probably works the same as hydrogen peroxide by oxidising the tissue in the oral cavity. The issue isn't really hydrogen peroxide itself, but the length of time and percentage of hydrogen peroxide that is used in cosmetic dentist offices

I've seen the studies on enzymes for whitening and there is nothing that suggests they can oxidise the dentin which is what is responsible for making teeth look visually yellow. Only hydrogen peroxide applied into a fitted mouth tray can do that(you wont get the same effect from just swishing or brushing with it)but it takes away collagen and protein building blocks of teeth as it does it over time. I thought vitamin C could prevent that, but it doesn't look like it can or its not enough to maintain the collagen/elastin etc into not being destroyed by the oxidation. I was kind of in the camp of whitening in moderation maybe once or twice a year is probably ok, but some people i know who have it done i've noticed their teeth are starting to look a little thin and "weak" looking as they approach their 40ies.

golder

Bromelain probably works the same as hydrogen peroxide by oxidising the tissue in the oral cavity. The issue isn't really hydrogen peroxide itself, but the length of time and percentage of hydrogen peroxide that is used in cosmetic dentist offices

I've seen the studies on enzymes for whitening and there is nothing that suggests they can oxidise the dentin which is what is responsible for making teeth look visually yellow. Only hydrogen peroxide applied into a fitted mouth tray can do that(you wont get the same effect from just swishing or brushing with it)but it takes away collagen and protein building blocks of teeth as it does it over time. I thought vitamin C could prevent that, but it doesn't look like it can or its not enough to maintain the collagen/elastin etc into not being destroyed by the oxidation. I was kind of in the camp of whitening in moderation maybe once or twice a year is probably ok, but some people i know who have it done i've noticed their teeth are starting to look a little thin and "weak" looking as they approach their 40ies.
So do you think there is any way to protect/lessen the damage from a really infrequent teeth whitening session? I really like them but don't want to damage something as precious as teeth!