What Is The Problem With High Dose Vitamin E Supplementation?

AnonE

I've read great things about Vitamin E from both Peat and members of this forum. Personally I respond very well to it, especially in this high-PUFA world we live.

Vitamin E: Estrogen antagonist, energy promoter, and anti-inflammatory

So I'm wondering could there be a problem with daily 1000IU - 2000IU consumption? Divided doses for myself. Lately I respond great to it, energy and sex drive, typically taking multiple 400IU tablets a day, mostly with meals, after workouts/stressful events, etc.

(Also, see @haidut's post here with an experiment that involved high Vit E: Sexuality And Libido Through A Peat Prism)

And while there was a research study from Johns Hopkins about 'increased death risk' from over 400IU a day, the study was a meta-study looking at mostly older people with pre-existing health conditions. There's a good breakdown of that study here:

Is Vitamin E Dangerous? - DrWeil.com

What do you guys think?

olive

Most supplements are alpha

If you supplement large doses of alpha you deplete gamma

Gamma is more beneficial than alpha, usually

The forum member @Travis has written about it in more detail

TeaRex14

Vitamin E has blood thinning properties to it, so mega dosing it habitually could cause you to run into problems. Especially if you're taking other blood thinners. 400iu is a pretty high daily dose, 200iu is the more average daily dose. Unless someone is drinking oil I don't see why a normal 200iu-400iu dose wouldn't suffice.

Personally a high dose does not feel that different to me than a moderate dose of 400iu. I also don’t notice much difference from daily vs bi-daily dosing.

OP
A

AnonE

@Obi-wan hope you've done well with the cancer treatment bro.

Also according to one of those genetic test analysis sites, I have "increased vitamin E need". I got this result after intuitively testing that I feel better with higher vitamin E. From my xcode.life report:

upload_2019-3-6_12-2-8.png

It might just be a slightly better horoscope, but I think there's something to it. Guess my next step is actually measuring serum levels of things o_O

LucH

So I'm wondering could there be a problem with daily 1000IU - 2000IU consumption?
Have you ever heard that too much of good thing can be bad. More seriously get informed about hormesis.
Simply said: Make cure and then pause. Cyp450 pathway needs recup (pathway of detoxification / neutralization of foreign substances).
Interaction
1. Interaction:
High dose of Vitamin E may interfere with the way the body processes certain herbs or supplements using the liver's cytochrome P450.
Note: high dose is more than 400 mg / daily.
2. http://www.jlr.org/content/48/5/1090.full
Cytochrome P450 4F2 (CYP4F2) catalyzes the initial ω-hydroxylation reaction in the metabolism of tocopherols and tocotrienols to carboxychromanols and is, to date, the only enzyme shown to metabolize vitamin E.

PS: Not only alpha-tocopherols. Vit E is a blood thinner: Need more K1 and folate (blood platelets).

Cirion

I don't seem to do well with high dose vitamin E. It induced painful and even slightly bloody bowel movements for me. Presumably due to the blood thinning effects. Proceed with caution.

OP
A

AnonE

Any opinions on this vitamin E supp?

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/ultimate-e-reg

Higher dose than normal but not crazy, and has mixed tocopherols.

Also any comments on @haidut using 2000 mg(!) on his experiment? I mean I get it's not something he's doing longer-term but it seemed to be a big part of increasing testosterone and clearing estrogen according to his experiment and theories. Wonder how much he takes now regularly.

Obi-wan

Great case for using Vit E Succinate at http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/clincanres/8/3/863.full.pdf

ABSTRACT -

Tocopheryl succinate (-TOS), a redox-inactive analogue of vitamin E, is a strong inducer of apoptosis, whereas -tocopherol (-TOH) lacks apoptogenic activity (J. Neuzil et al., FASEB J., 15: 403–415, 2001). Here we investigated the possible antineoplastic activities of -TOH and -TOS and further explored the potential of -TOS as an antitumor agent. Using nude mice with colon cancer xenografts, we found that -TOH exerted modest antitumor activity and acted by inhibiting tumor cell proliferation. In contrast, -TOS showed a more profound antitumor effect, at both the level of inhibition of proliferation and induction of tumor cell apoptosis. -TOS was nontoxic to normal cells and tissues, triggered apoptosis in p53/ and p21Waf1/Cip1(/)
cancer cells, and exerted a cooperative proapoptotic activity with tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (Apo2 ligand) due to differences in proapoptotic signaling. Finally, -TOS cooperated with tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in suppression of tumor growth in vivo. Vitamin E succinate is thus a potent and highly specific anticancer agent and/or adjuvant of considerable therapeutic potential.

Conclusions.

In this study, we show that (a) -TOS inhibited growth of colon carcinoma by almost 80%, and -TOH inhibited growth of colon carcinoma by 35%; (b) -TOS-treated mice showed increased apoptosis and decreased proliferation, whereas -TOH inhibited proliferation only; (c) -TOS efficiently killed cancer cells deficient in p53 and p21Waf1/Cip1;( d) -TOS cooperated with TRAIL in apoptosis induction and inhibition of tumor growth; (e) -TOS accumulated in tissues and was partially hydrolyzed to -TOH; and (f) -TOS was nontoxic to normal murine organs and to normal cells. Our data strongly suggest that -TOS is a nontoxic antineoplastic agent that cooperates with TRAIL in vivo and suggest an explanation why -TOH is often found to be inefficient in cancer treatment (57). We propose that this semisynthetic vitamin E analogue is a promising anticancer agent or adjuvant, which warrants its testing in other models of cancer with a realistic prospect of its use in human therapy.

Profound...having or showing great knowledge or insight.

Frankdee20

If one opts for this route, use a mixed tocopherol version, non Soy, like Thorne, but it is expensive at 55 dollars.

youngsinatra

I use about 400 IU every other day because alpha-tocopherol has a half life of about 48h.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals