What Is The Problem With Coating Of Aspirin And Is This Life Extension Product A Good Aspirin?

Aspirin should dissolve in the stomach which is suppposed to handle acid. Coating moves rhevaspirin to the intestine where it is guaranted to cause bleeding. Not a good idea.

Birdie

Good point from @ecstatichamster. I needed that!

I’ve found the uncoated at dollar stores and on amazon. I think aspirin is one of those drugs that really does expire, and that Ray uses the powdered kind and freezes it. He just takes out smaller amounts and keeps the supply frozen. Anyway, I threw out a big supply when we moved since it was getting old and wouldn’t survive the move.

accelerator

Aspirin should dissolve in the stomach which is suppposed to handle acid. Coating moves rhevaspirin to the intestine where it is guaranted to cause bleeding. Not a good idea.

What is rhevaspirin? Is that a typo? Didn't find anything on when did a quick search

RealNeat

a mistake in text entry. Should read "aspirin". Aspirin should dissolve in the stomach. If it moves to the duodenum it can cause damage.

This got me thinking, since most here dissolve their aspirin in water can't the contact with the acidic aspirin water damage the esophagus over time? I always get very dry throat after aspirin. Would mixing in sodium bicarbonate buffer it adequately on the way down without effecting stomach pH?

David PS

The Life Extension product is listed as: Life Extension, Aspirin, Low Dose Safety Coated, 81 mg, 300 Enteric Coated Tablets.

The "safety coated" part is an oxymoron; a self-contradicting phrase. It is the coating that make the aspirin unsafe.

I think the bleeding from aspirin is not from its weak acidity. I don’t think aspirin is all that acidic compared to, say, a pickle.

Lollipop2

This got me thinking, since most here dissolve their aspirin in water can't the contact with the acidic aspirin water damage the esophagus over time? I always get very dry throat after aspirin. Would mixing in sodium bicarbonate buffer it adequately on the way down without effecting stomach pH?
I take my aspirin with milk and have never experienced that acidic problem.