What is the pathway of inflammation for sugar?

Matt Z

I understand that arachidonic acid is responsible for a lot of inflammation and that can be proved fhrough pathways, but what is sugars pathway to cause inflammation? there has to be at least one if not many.

LLight

Betaine is a byproduct of sugar extraction from beets. Maybe a lack of betaine for people eating large amounts of white sugar, leading to fatty liver, is an explanation.

Note that this study is about fructose overconsumption, not sugar.

somuch4food

The main argument against sugar and empty carbs in general is that it depletes essential vitamins and deficiencies would probably then cause inflammation.

OP
M

Matt Z

I found this old message from Haidut in a thread on the forum here. It's exactly what I was looking for.

"There is no known pathway through which sugar increases inflammation, unlike PUFA for which not only specific pathways exist (e.g. COX/LOX) but it also synergizes with and promoted the synthesis of estrogen, NO, serotonin, prolactin, ACTH, CRH, leptin, etc and all of those have a known role in inflammation. Virtually all of the studies that claim sugar increased inflammation were studies that fed animals/humans BOTH high fat AND high sugar on top of that. Studies with carefully controlled diets that are truly high-sugar (and moderate or low fat) show reductions in weight and inflammation.
Drinking Coke Freely Quadruples Calorie Intake WITHOUT Weight Gain
http://haidut.me/?p=1462"

I don’t believe sugar, is the problem. Inflammation results from sugar cane sprayed with Monsanto Glysophate.

amd

[ RP mentioned the first one in a recent interview - the biochemistry path is not always the answer ]

Sugar Chemicals

Chemco is one of the leading suppliers of sugar processing chemicals of wide versatility. Our well-known products include juice clarifiers, anti-scalants, biocides, flocculants, defoamer and decolorising agents amongst others.

Our diverse products include:
Phosphoric Acid
Phosphoric acid is widely used in metal finishing, chemical manufacture and equipment maintenance. It has a major application in ceramics and glass, plastics and drinking water treatment. It is also used in sugar processing.
Caustic Soda
Caustic Soda finds its major use in pulp and paper, and in soap and detergent industries. It is also used in regeneration of ion-exchange resins, textile processing and petroleum refining and as a major cleaning chemical in many industries.
Hydrated Lime
Lime has major applications in the water and sewage treatment as well as industrial effluent treatment. In water softening, hydrated lime is used to remove carbonate hardness from the water. It is also widely used to adjust the pH of water to prepare it for further treatment. Lime is also used to combat "red water" by neutralizing the acid water, thereby reducing corrosion of pipes and mains from acid waters.
Anti Scalant
Anti scalants are anionic dispersant and scale inhibitor that is used in sugar mills to control scale formation throughout the manufacturing process.
Biocide
Chemco supply a wide range of biocides for the control of bacteria and fungi as well as troublesome slime and bad odours originating during the processing of cane sugar juices.
Decolorising agent
Highly engineered, liquid flocculant that is effective in the removal of visual colour and turbidity in sugar refinery processes, hence improving the quality of sugar. This decolorant can be used effectively in carbonatation and phosphatation processes with colour reductions of approximately 30 and 60% respectively.
Defoamer
BUBREAK 4019 is designed for use in batch fermentation systems where alcohol is produced from molasses. BUBREAK 4019 is used as a general purpose foam control agent in the food industry
Sulphur
Sulfur is often used in sugar cane processing. Sulfur dioxide can be used for a variety of reasons during the processing of sugar cane or the production of molasses. Most commonly, sulfur dioxide is used to lighten the color of the molasses or to help extend its shelf life. It may also be used to help with the processing of sugar cane when the cane has been harvested at an early stage.​

Last edited:

mostlylurking

I understand that arachidonic acid is responsible for a lot of inflammation and that can be proved fhrough pathways, but what is sugars pathway to cause inflammation? there has to be at least one if not many.
Sugar depletes thiamine. If you choose to consume sugar, you need to supplement with thiamine.

If you are deficient in thiamine or if you have a "functional" blockage of thiamine (meaning you can't use what you have because something is blocking it) and you eat some sugar (or have some coffee) the thiamine problem is exacerbated. Without thiamine to act as a cofactor in oxidative metabolism you cannot make ATP and you will be stuck making lactic acid instead. Lactic acid is extremely inflammatory.

I set this to start at the glucose discussion, but the whole video is very good.

View: https://youtu.be/JBJd5G-Zocs?t=596

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBJd5G-Zocs

Last edited:

Jbird10

I ran across for the first time yesterday "invert" cane sugar listed on a soda can. Is there any problems with this and is it any different than the sodas listing just cane sugar on the ingredients list?

My thinking on sugar started changing when I ran across James Kreigor's series of sugar articles. I believe he said sugar had no noticeable effect until it reached like 20% total calories then dropped off a cliff on inflammation markers.

mostlylurking

I ran across for the first time yesterday "invert" cane sugar listed on a soda can. Is there any problems with this and is it any different than the sodas listing just cane sugar on the ingredients list?

My thinking on sugar started changing when I ran across James Kreigor's series of sugar articles. I believe he said sugar had no noticeable effect until it reached like 20% total calories then dropped off a cliff on inflammation markers.
It depends on your thiamine status. Thiamine deficiency is rampant. Many pharmaceutical drugs, including antibiotics block thiamine function and cause thiamine dependency which means you need a whole lot of it to function.

Dobbler

Depends where you get the sugar from. but i think it's endotoxin. And even then it's not the sugar's fault but the overpopulation of bacteria and sluggish digestion fluids and motility.. so it's not really the sugar.

mostlylurking

Depends where you get the sugar from. but i think it's endotoxin. And even then it's not the sugar's fault but the overpopulation of bacteria and sluggish digestion fluids and motility.. so it's not really the sugar.
I suspect the problem is more universal than you think. If you are getting sugar from anywhere and you have a thiamine blockage or serious deficiency, almost ANY sugar makes it worse. I put "almost" in there because I don't think that the lactose in my milk made me worse. But I was supplementing with about 200mg thiamine at the time. My thiamine function was blocked by taking Bactrim. My Peaty diet did not work anymore, after 6 years of eating Peaty. link: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

Thiamine deficiency causes a sluggish digestive system, which exacerbates the bacterial overgrowth because things are not moving through and getting digested properly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals