What is the minimum salt intake to lull the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System?

Such_Umami

I was wondering if there's an approximate minimum salt or sodium intake that will stop the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System from kicking in? I'm not interesting in safe numbers that will overshoot the minimum so you don't have to worry about it, I'd like an indication of a good baseline minimum estimate.

edit-obviously there will be co-factors such as activity, sweating etc. I'm just looking for a reasonable estimate.

Last edited:
OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Okay, I've been doing a bit of reading and I have found this chart:

relationship-of-the-24-h-urine-sodium-excretion-a-reflection-of-the-daily-sodium.png

This is the link to the study:

Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems that at around 100 mEq/day of urinary excretion, the RAAS is massively cut down. What I really need to figure out is how 100 mEq/day of sodium excretion is equated in sodium intake per day.

Any help?

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

I found a calculator that will turn Meq to miligrams, so based upon the chart above, I can create a ballpark estimation. Here is the calculator:

So to significantly lower aldosterone secretion with the minimal sodium intake, you'd need about 2,300 mg of sodium per day. This converts to about 5.75g of salt or about a teaspoon.

youngsinatra

I found a calculator that will turn Meq to miligrams, so based upon the chart above, I can create a ballpark estimation. Here is the calculator:

So to significantly lower aldosterone secretion with the minimal sodium intake, you'd need about 2,300 mg of sodium per day. This converts to about 5.75g of salt or about a teaspoon.
A few months ago I also read about aldosterone and salt intake and I remember that the number 2,300mg per day came up to suppress aldosterone.

I think tho that due to illness or hypothyroidism, one can experience significant sodium loss and thus needs higher salt intakes to suppress aldosterone.

Salt to taste is best probably + plenty amounts of calcium, magnesium and potassium.

Perry Staltic

Why would anyone want to suppress aldosterone? It's part of an elaborate automatic control system. Leave it alone lest you screw things up.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Why would anyone want to suppress aldosterone? It's part of an elaborate automatic control system. Leave it alone lest you screw things up.
When sodium is reduced to a certain level, the renin angiotensin aldosterone system (RAAS) kicks in to boost blood pressure. Aldosterone in this instance isn't beneficial but detrimental on the body. This study will explain it much better.

A quote from the study:

Experimental evidence also indicates that aldosterone, besides being a regulator of extracellular fluid volume and sodium and potassium balance, directly contributes to accelerate renal damage by sustaining cell growth, inflammation, and fibrosis. This occurs through production of growth factors and reactive oxygen species as well as inhibition of extracellular matrix degradation.

Now I agree that too little sodium can be detrimental through the RAAS mechanism. However, I also believe too much sodium can be negative in other ways. So I'm trying to work out what the sweet spot might be.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

A few months ago I also read about aldosterone and salt intake and I remember that the number 2,300mg per day came up to suppress aldosterone.

I think tho that due to illness or hypothyroidism, one can experience significant sodium loss and thus needs higher salt intakes to suppress aldosterone.

Salt to taste is best probably + plenty amounts of calcium, magnesium and potassium.
That's good because it correlates exactly with my findings above.

Perry Staltic

When sodium is reduced to a certain level, the renin angiotensin aldosterone system (RAAS) kicks in to boost blood pressure. Aldosterone in this instance isn't beneficial but detrimental on the body. This study will explain it much better.

A quote from the study:
Now I agree that too little sodium can be detrimental through the RAAS mechanism. However, I also believe too much sodium can be negative in other ways. So I'm trying to work out what the sweet spot might be.

Your link doesn't work.

Aldosterone is doing exactly what it's meant to do when it signals the kidneys to retain sodium in order to increase blood pressure.

The RAAS system is always on but I understand your question on how you can reduce it's activities through modulation of sodium intake. Why are you interested in reducing the enzyme production of the RAAS system?

I don't have an answer for your question. I studied the RAAS system but am unsure of specific research that shows how electrolyte intake effects the functions of ACE1 and ACE2.

Perry Staltic

I was able to find thus study by searching for phrases. in your quote The study explores the benefit of aldosterone antagonism for people with chronic kidney disease. Aldosterone antogonism is not meant for healthy people.

P

Peatness

Dr. B

Using supplements to suppress woild be risky.
But a food item like salt suppressing it could indicate benefit. Just like milk suppressing prolactin for example. Aldosterone is raised because of lack of salt. Aldosterone has major issues. Its the body trying to hold onto salt

Luann

This was helpful, thanks.

EnergeticLeo

Salt deficiency lowers blood volume, because water follows salt, and so the RAAS system kicks in to increase blood pressure. The problem is that this 'regulated' / 'compensated' state is inflammatory compared to the optimal state with adequate sodium intake. Just like cortisol elevation is a regulatory mechanism that can help one survive in the short term but is far from the optimal state.

EnergeticLeo

I was wondering if there's an approximate minimum salt or sodium intake that will stop the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System from kicking in? I'm not interesting in safe numbers that will overshoot the minimum so you don't have to worry about it, I'd like an indication of a good baseline minimum estimate.

edit-obviously there will be co-factors such as activity, sweating etc. I'm just looking for a reasonable estimate.
haidut here says that some human studies suggest less than 5000 mg elemental sodium / day chronically activates the RAA system:

View: https://youtu.be/s2hicm_Uo3E?t=2889

EnergeticLeo

I believe this is the study he is referring to

Ras

If low sodium diets are so harmful, why are the Yonomami so healthy?

Dr. B

Low sodium diets are only harmful when the metabolic rate is low. When the metabolic rate is optimal, sodium retention is much better.
Shouldnt a low metabolism cause craving for salt then? Yet salt becomes difficult t consume for low metabolic people. Also how are people eating al this salt? You cant put much on meat and rice. It makes milk taste horrible. The only thing you can really put a good amount salt in is orange juice or coconut water.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals