What Is the Counter to Phosphate?

marko9437

I love meat, but apparently, high phosphate intake could be an issue. Is there a twin to phospate that can balance it out, in the way sodium and potassium balance the other?

Jessie

Calcium is the primary antagonist to phosphorous. Phosphates are present in large quantities in meat based diets, grain based diets, legume based diets, and, in general, processed food based diets. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to find out 90% of the western world is eating way too much phosphate. It doesn't help that our society is becoming increasingly more dairy phobic as well. USDA isn't the biggest fan of dairy products, and most alternative programs (paleo, keto, vegan, etc.) are even more harsh on dairy.

Since phosphate triggers the release of PTH, which results in inappropriate calcium channeling, calcium antagonist medications could also be used to protect the cells from calcium, and thus counter phosphate's inflammatory mechanisms as well. Magnesium for example would be the most beneficial since it's the body's primairy calcium antagonist. Some drugs like cyproheptadine or the "caines" like procaine and lidocaine prevent inappropriate calcium channeling. Androgens like DHEA, DHT, and androsterone can do the same thing too.

The ratio of Ca: P matters more than the absolute amount of each. Drinking more milk, eating leaves or supplementing with calcium would help keep the PTH down, without having to avoid high phosphate foods. If you decide to supplement, see which form suits you best. I personally don't tolerate calcium carbonate, so I use either calcium citrate or calcium malate. It could be taken close to the meal whose phosphorous content you want to balance, and for this, I think calcium carbonate would get in the way of digestion( especially meat digestion) by acting as an antacid.

Niacinamide lowers blood phosphate, improving the Ca: P ratio.

OP
M

marko9437

I just ate a bunch of crushed eggshells heated up in a pan with salt. Tastes like the burned part of popcorn. Not exactly a great taste or texture but easy enough to make and to get down. Could countering all that phosphorous really be as easy as doing this once a week?

Milk is also quite expensive where I am so that's another bonus.

I just ate a bunch of crushed eggshells heated up in a pan with salt. Tastes like the burned part of popcorn. Not exactly a great taste or texture but easy enough to make and to get down. Could countering all that phosphorous really be as easy as doing this once a week?

Milk is also quite expensive where I am so that's another bonus.
Did you calculate how many grams of calcium you ate?

Too much calcium in one go can be harmful.

Doing it once a week won't neutralize the phosphorus from the daily meals. Smaller doses everyday is more effective, and less likely to cause issues.

How is your digestion after eating the eggshells?

P

Peatness

I love meat, but apparently, high phosphate intake could be an issue. Is there a twin to phospate that can balance it out, in the way sodium and potassium balance the other?
Ray peat on phosphate reduction

"It happens that baking soda has some of the same benefits that niacinamide has; it helps your body to excrete phosphate more easily. And anything that helps your body make carbon dioxide helps to excrete phosphate. And salt and calcium help to stimulate the production of carbon dioxide. So, foods that are high in calcium and moderate in sodium will help to get rid of any excess phosphate. Fructose in the intestine increases the resistance of the intestine to taking up phosphate"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals