What is the best way to remove a tick?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I see all the "official" recommendations and they say to grab tick as close to head as possible and pull straight out without twisting/turning etc. However, we all know the official recommendations are probably not the best. So, is there truly an optimal way to remove a tick?

kyhmil

I've Had success with a hot needle placed on the tick so it will back itself out. Also Soap on a cotton ball and it will back it self out onto the cotton swab. Best of luck

Elize

I poured nail polish remover on the tick a few times. Wait a few minutes and then removable with a tweezer as explained above. Works well

akgrrrl

I spent a lot of years in central Texas removing ticks, and 16 years teaching a First Aid class. Its true, one answer does not fit all.
The goal is to get it out with head intact.
Light match, blow it out, touch to its back and it will likely release and back out.
Cover in vaseline and smothering the oxygen may make it release
Acetone, like from fingernail polish remover, will also prompt release.
The most recommended methods are by tweezers, getting a grip on the body and gently pulling until it releases. In haste, you pull the thorax too hard and detach from the head. Also, the strong mandibles clamp down tighter when the body is pressured. Of course the tick wants to remain in place.
In my experience, torture with vaseline or nailpolish remover softens them up for an easier removal with tweezers.

skuabird

Tick Twister

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ow_yWLZoM

I've removed about half a dozen ticks with these, never losing a head. I take the tick out with this, and then use hydrogen peroxide to clean the area.

Originally I heard you're supposed to use tweezers, NOT twist and pull straight out. However, I have yet to remove a tick properly with tweezers, one time even destroying the body with the head still attached. I haven't had any problems with the tick twister...

akgrrrl

Tick Twister

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ow_yWLZoM

I've removed about half a dozen ticks with these, never losing a head. I take the tick out with this, and then use hydrogen peroxide to clean the area.

Originally I heard you're supposed to use tweezers, NOT twist and pull straight out. However, I have yet to remove a tick properly with tweezers, one time even destroying the body with the head still attached. I haven't had any problems with the tick twister...

Before people were convinced to purchase a special pair of tweezers just for ticks, slow steady pressure was recommended to pull out a tick in a simple first aid course.

OccamzRazer

Some essential oils will also make the tick let go (forget which ones, haven't needed to use in a while).

Jam

I have been pulling ticks out almost my entire life. Never ever burn, smother, suffocate, or drown a tick as it will regurgitate bodily fluids (which may include bad guys) into your bloodstream. The best instruments by far are the various Tick Twisters or Tick Cards. Good luck with smaller ticks though... those really do require pointy tweezers and a magnifying glass. Never ever use regular tweezers, you'll just decapitate it leaving the head embedded in your skin.

akgrrrl

I have been pulling ticks out almost my entire life. Never ever burn, smother, suffocate, or drown a tick as it will regurgitate bodily fluids (which may include bad guys) into your bloodstream. The best instruments by far are the various Tick Twisters or Tick Cards. Good luck with smaller ticks though... those really do require pointy tweezers and a magnifying glass. Never ever use regular tweezers, you'll just decapitate it leaving the head embedded in your skin.
You heard it here, arachnids can vomit.

skuabird

Yes, listen to Jam.

yerrag

Thanks Jam.

What to apply afterwards?

I'm thinking urea, and if no urea, your own urine (as it has urea)? Especially if the tick left its incisors inside the skin. Keep doing daily until it is expelled.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lidocaine, progesterone, eugenol, Benadryl, etc have sedative and anti-spasmodic effects. So, if you expose the tick to one of these it should get anesthetized (but not traumatized enough to vomit) and release its grip due to the nerve-blocking effects of these chemicals (and anti-cholinergic effects that some of them have). Have tried progesterone and Benadryl myself and both worked well (did not even require pulling with tweezers), but of course YMMV.
@charlie @Jam @akgrrrl

akgrrrl

Lidocaine, progesterone, eugenol, Benadryl, etc have sedative and anti-spasmodic effects. So, if you expose the tick to one of these it should get anesthetized (but not traumatized enough to vomit) and release its grip due to the nerve-blocking effects of these chemicals (and anti-cholinergic effects that some of them have). Have tried progesterone and Benadryl myself and both worked well (did not even require pulling with tweezers), but of course YMMV.
@charlie @Jam @akgrrrl
Oooh helpful! Next time the dog gets one of those huge grey engorged ones you cant use tweezers, will try these suggests.

Jam

@charlie @Jam @akgrrrl
Yeah, the theory is sound, and I have thought about using lidocaine spray, but since I have no way of knowing for sure whether or not it regurgitates before getting knocked out, I think I'll stick to what I know works.

ScottyVP

The answer for me is to remove as quickly as possible as things such as Lyme only get passed on beyond 24h after being bitten, so check yourself after coming back from a high tick area. I'm with @Jam never using anything like chemicals or heat as this may cause the tick to transfer the disease prematurely.

Kram

@charlie @Jam @akgrrrl
I used two drops of cortinon for a tick on my dog. Thing came right off. Thanks for this.