What is the best OJ substitute?

jayUK9779

I really can not tolerate OJ in any form or brand. What is the next best thing if you can not tolerate it? Cherry juice?

Mittir

Orange is very high in pectin. Grape juice and cherry both are low in pectin.
There is good amount of potassium and magnesium to handle the insulin surge.
Green grapes are lower in oxalate .Yeast grows on skin of grapes, which can be a problem
and sulfur is used as anti-fungul. If you are not sensitive to sulfur, grape juice is good.
Water melon juice is pretty good too, if you remove the fibers.
RP recommends very ripe papaya. You can also try pineapple in moderation, it is high serotonin.
I eat small amount of fruits from different sources- orange, papaya, pineapple, grapes,watermelon.

Mittir

jyb said:
Wouldn't you get pesticides with grades?

There is pesticides in most fruits grown commercially.
Only organic fruits will be free from pesticides but sulfur
is not considered as pesticide. So organic grapes will
most likely have sulfur.

Ari

The first thing I would try is to find the best OJ for you so far, and try it one last time with a lot of salt added to it.

Drinking OJ alone can release histamine .. but liberally salted you can avoid this. Maybe 1/4 tsp per cup of oj.

If this doesn't work I have heard good things about pineapple juice here. The caveat being that it is high in serotonin (relative to OJ).

fyo

Potato is nutritionally similar to OJ, except starch instead of sugar, and perhaps missing salicylic acid. If you don't want the starch and fibers, you could juice it (search forum for recipe). The salicylic acid could be supplemented with aspirin.