What Is The Best Last Meal To Sleep Trough The Night?

Beastmode

i go to bed around midnight and wake up around 5-6 am to pee and then wake up every hour to about 10 am when i cant sleep anymore still dead tired.

i tried milk and honey and raw carrot, i did sleep too 7 am last night so that's new, but i have to quit with milk since i cant tolerate it that good.

around 9-10 am i will eat my last meal, normally i eat about 200g of ground beef, bone broth, 2 dates, 1 fruit and a glass of orange juice., sometimes some potato or sweet potato. will also get a glass of orange juice and half a raw carrot around 11 pm.

should i change something?

Might seem counterintuitive, but how I start the day dictates a lot on how I sleep that night. Getting good calories in as soon as waking up has really helped me sleep better at night. Set the rhythm right from the beginning and your evenings might improve automatically. Not having to go through the day "jacked up" might do you some good.

When you wake up at 5-6 am try having some OJ and/or milk then and see how you feel. Being able to sleep to 10 am? I remember college very well....haha.

How old are you?

tara

gaze

geeek yogurt (fat free) and honey. In a recent interview ray said fatty meals and hard to digest grains before bed are bad for insomnia, although many might disagree from personal experience

OP
T

Trude

55/75% lean beef with 2/3 egg yolks (raw) around 7pm

sleep requires serotonin and long lasting energy to go through the night, also low insulin levels for GH output = deeper, more restorative sleep. This all means that dinner should be early enough and zerocarb/carnivore. I go to bed in the 90s and wake up 7 hours later in the 80s (I bought my own glucose monitor).

Salt well for adrenaline. Start the next day with coconut milk for thyroid, orange juice, goat cheese, carry on!

I do love a good ribeye with two raw yolks, but of i eat it that early if will be very hungry when i go to bed.
I do love salt.
Why is coconut milk good for thyroid?

OP
T

Trude

Skipping the occasional meal may be fine when robust. But if the metabolism is struggling and there's habitual undereating, it may make a difference to see if you can be more consistent.
Can you carry food with you so you don't run short?
I try to bring food of i know it will take too long , but somtimes a quick trip to the store end up with somthing else and then i struggle.

OP
T

Trude

geeek yogurt (fat free) and honey. In a recent interview ray said fatty meals and hard to digest grains before bed are bad for insomnia, although many might disagree from personal experience

Will try less fat before bed and see if that helps. Don't eat grains anyway.

OP
T

Trude

Might seem counterintuitive, but how I start the day dictates a lot on how I sleep that night. Getting good calories in as soon as waking up has really helped me sleep better at night. Set the rhythm right from the beginning and your evenings might improve automatically. Not having to go through the day ''jacked up'' might do you some good.

When you wake up at 5-6 am try having some OJ and/or milk then and see how you feel. Being able to sleep to 10 am? I remember college very well....haha.

How old are you?

today i have been eating every 3 hours to see if its help, i see that i maybe often won't make food and stay hungry longer just because it takes to much energy to make it.
gotta get better on that.
what do you mean by ''jacked up''?

i tried one night drinking some OJ when i woke up, but i just sleept worse after that.
i don't work or have school so i can sleep long in the morning, i like staying up to around midnight so that makes me sleep to 10am.
i'm 27 years old.

i do need to pee really bad when i wake up so maybe its more bladder issues.
only time i didn't have to go up to be at night was when i ate very high fat carnivore, but started getting nausea instead of all the fat.

OP
T

Trude

Undigested food very easily causes insomnia, its quite common to sleep better on an empty stomach than on a full one. That said, the best case is to be well fed, and still sleep well.

will be trying to eat more during the day and not so muck close to bed.

Lenny

i go to bed around midnight and wake up around 5-6 am to pee and then wake up every hour to about 10 am when i cant sleep anymore still dead tired.

i tried milk and honey and raw carrot, i did sleep too 7 am last night so that's new, but i have to quit with milk since i cant tolerate it that good.

around 9-10 am i will eat my last meal, normally i eat about 200g of ground beef, bone broth, 2 dates, 1 fruit and a glass of orange juice., sometimes some potato or sweet potato. will also get a glass of orange juice and half a raw carrot around 11 pm.

I had similar problems for a long time. For me going to bed early (9 p.m) really helped. What might help is sleeping in warmer clothes and in a warm room. This really helps me to get to sleep. Also avoiding inputs as sounds or lights can help you fall asleep faster. I'd recommend trying to take a walk and a warm shower before bed.

tara

I try to bring food of i know it will take too long , but somtimes a quick trip to the store end up with somthing else and then i struggle.
I know what you mean. Can you find food you can carry at all times so you don't get caught out when you really need something? I find dried fruit helpful because it keeps well, but you might have other things you can keep in car or bag?
i see that i maybe often won't make food and stay hungry longer just because it takes to much energy to make it.
gotta get better on that.
Took me a while to get on top of that. Planning and preparing meals ahead of time is the only way I know to manage this.

gaze

if your waking and need to urinate, it means your metabolic rate is low. If your drinking a lot of liquid like juice/milk, you need to make sure you eat some really salty hard food also. A salty/protein meal like some bone broth may be good before bed

OP
T

Trude

I had similar problems for a long time. For me going to bed early (9 p.m) really helped. What might help is sleeping in warmer clothes and in a warm room. This really helps me to get to sleep. Also avoiding inputs as sounds or lights can help you fall asleep faster. I'd recommend trying to take a walk and a warm shower before bed.

i have really trouble with going to bed early, was worse before when i was up to 2-3 am.
i have to have a really cold room to sleep, don't tolerate heat very much, i struggle a lot in summers.
will try to walk before bed but it's hard when it rains 90% of the time. and i live where there is no street lights so very dark.

SQu

If I undereat, like trying to diet, I will sleep poorly. Any increase in calories will help my sleep, and ice cream makes this very easy.

Yes.

Given apnea and breathlessness, have you considered bag breathing? I also agree about salt and/ bicarb. Things to raise CO2.

I must avoid indigestible food, ideally all day, but especially for dinner and into the evening. If I have gas, I know Ill be in for a night of rough sleep.
Undigested food very easily causes insomnia, its quite common to sleep better on an empty stomach than on a full one. That said, the best case is to be well fed, and still sleep well.

Exactly. Some non-irritating food, the irritation is more important than the quantity.

While enough food at night is important for my sleep, I can manage on less if it also means I don't have starch or fruit or meat. That can mean a snack like cheese, a glass of milk, some jelly. But I doubt that would work if I was undereating all day.

If this is new to you (sorry I haven't read any other posts than in this thread, if you've been posting) which it looks like it is, then I think it's going to be a process, and along the way you'll be looking at all the issues mentioned already in this thread. You'd be doing that anyway for whatever other issues you have.

The sleep fixing process is about overall health, but also about finding your own way because like Tara says it's a bit different for everyone even though the principles are the same.

OP
T

Trude

Yes.

Given apnea and breathlessness, have you considered bag breathing? I also agree about salt and/ bicarb. Things to raise CO2.

Exactly. Some non-irritating food, the irritation is more important than the quantity.

While enough food at night is important for my sleep, I can manage on less if it also means I don't have starch or fruit or meat. That can mean a snack like cheese, a glass of milk, some jelly. But I doubt that would work if I was undereating all day.

If this is new to you (sorry I haven't read any other posts than in this thread, if you've been posting) which it looks like it is, then I think it's going to be a process, and along the way you'll be looking at all the issues mentioned already in this thread. You'd be doing that anyway for whatever other issues you have.

The sleep fixing process is about overall health, but also about finding your own way because like Tara says it's a bit different for everyone even though the principles are the same.

bag breathing just makes is so i get more breathless, not tried it much yet.

just found out about ray pete and carbs for health about a week or two.
have been trying both goat cheese/milk and cow cheese/milk but that gives me to much stomach trouble, so have to stop that, sucks since it taste so good
i will be focusing on health and i will try to figure what works for me, i believe the sleep issues will follow that, and the more i stress about diet and stuff the worse i sleep.

SQu

just found out about ray pete and carbs for health about a week or two.
This is a journey and it takes months or years, but it's worth it and it can't be forced or rushed. It's worth it because you're healing and getting stronger, for life. But your body has downregulated and pushes back against some of the things that can help eg your experience of bag breathing. It will improve but it takes time. Other things to raise CO2 were mentioned in this thread, and you can read up about them. You can also read people's logs especially those who have similar stories to yours. Good luck!

pauljacob

Cheese or Yogurt do it for me, but if my bladder is full I will wake up no matter what.

bk_

My insomnia was triggered by taking methylated b-vitamins a few times. The insomnia was severe and lasted well over a year until i began taking 500mg doses of niacinimide for a week for other reasons and then the insomnia completely went away.

Marco

I found my best strategy sofar to be having dinner not close to bedtime, 3-4h before; and the best meal be potatoes cooked in water (not rinsen), a lot of potatoes, 1kg if I had a workout. I add a bit of olive oil and raw salt. I follow a low fat regimen now so no other fats or meat other than a little of lean meat at dinner (I comsume most of my protein at breakfast and lunch). The potato dinner is incredibly satiating and long lasting, no hypoglicemic wakes up and no disconfort as from the fibrous carbs.

Red meat at night ruins my sleep. Having shrimp for dinner or crab dipped in butter are the best the best sleep meals! Nowadays I eat a bigger meal before 5:00 and maybe have a little buttered potato later at night. Before bed I always eat a big mouthful of raw honeycomb and I am in LaLa Land! If I wake up for any reason and have trouble going back to sleep I eat another mouthful. Also a little sugar and salt water before bed is good for sleep and the salt minimizes the bathroom trip :)

Sefton10

I've been finding lower protein in the last meal helps as long as I get enough during the day. Making sure I finish eating a couple of hours before bed helps too. So something like bone broth with some feta cheese and/or a cup of milk as protein sources with some mushrooms, fruit and honey for dinner.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals