What Is The Best Form Of Oral Magnesium That You've Taken?

OP
ImprovingDaily
Just received my Magnesium Carbonate. Not going to give it a final verdict just yet, initial impressions 1st. Have taken 2 servings today of 210 mg each.

- Tastes infinitely better than Magnesium Glycinate. Has pretty much zero discernable taste that I can tell. Easy to drink with Orange Juice.
- Way less powder per dose than Mag Glycinate, so a lot easier to take.
- No hershey squirts that I can tell, Glycinate was giving me a lot lately.
- I feel warm after taking this. Like laying comfortably under a nice blanket next to a loved one type warm.

Some of this could be placebo, maybe even gazebo, so I'll keep my final verdict for another month or so from now.
(Better taste and less powder per dose is exempt from possible placebo effect.)

Quelsatron

Can confirm that magnesium bicarbonate is awesome:
  • Super cheap
  • Convenient way to get an additional 500-600 mg per day (really who wants to take 8 magnesium pills?)
  • No gut irritation/good absorption with high doses
  • Noticeable mood-lifting and pro-metabolic effect (unlike magnesium chelates)
  • Makes a tasty refreshing drink...
I just wonder why I've spent so much money on subpar, crappy magnesium pills. I'm quite happy to throw my fishy smelling magnesium glycinate in the trash and ride the bicarbonate train into the sunset instead. Goes great with coffee as mentioned above!

Just dump some magnesium carbonate/hydroxide in carbonated water, shake it up, put in fridge for 1 hour, done.
Isn't this also basically baking soda supplementation at the same time? I crunched some numbers before and you get like 5 grams bicarbonate per gram of magnesium, which is pretty decent (although the athletic performance benefits are more about 25 grams)

OP
ImprovingDaily
Quick update.

Magnesium Carbonate is definitely the best form of Magnesium I've tried to date. Takes a lot less powder than Glycinate to get good dose. Doesn't take like crap when mixed in OJ. Relaxes me better than Glycinate. Only thing I will say is that it does still cause loose stools if taken too much. This is probably something common in all Magnesium supplements though.

Perry Staltic

Mg carbonate... I'm seeing food grade and gym chalk powder. I can get both about the same price, but just curious if anyone uses gym chalk powder.

OP
ImprovingDaily
What percent of magnesium carbonate is magnesium?
An 875 mg serving has 210 mg of Magnesium. 210/875, so about 24%

Magnesium Glycinate has 210 mg of Magnesium for every 1600 mg serving, (210/1600) about 13.1%

dukesbobby777

I’m about to try magnesium oxide.

Bicarbonate loses effect for me. When I first discovered it I thought I had come across the best magnesium supplement ever. Very very sedating and every muscle in my body felt absorbed in it. But that effect totally went away after doing it ten times +. The liquid was also a pain. I already drink enough fluids, and taking it late at night meant more fluid at a time of day when I didn’t really want it.

Magnesium malate was ok I guess. Just felt like magnesium chloride. A dull feeling. Might have aided in sleep, but hard to tell.

Magnesium citrate, I could feel the effects psychologically and a relaxation in my muscles (very pleasant). But there’s a thin line in dosage between those effects and a certain threshold, where the obvious side effect then occurs.

Magnoil (although not oral), remains the best one I’ve tried yet. It’s just too expensive for me. Even though it’s one of their cheaper supplements I just can’t justify spending $30 per month on it (alongside my other supplements).

Gustav3Y

Interestingly Magnesium Chloride is not giving me high stomach acid and digestion seems good, no diarrhea or loose stools from it.
But I have not taken more than a total of 600mg per day, which is not much I guess.
I am not sure but magnesium citrate in the same dose seemed to have a loose stool effect on me.

golder

Interestingly Magnesium Chloride is not giving me high stomach acid and digestion seems good, no diarrhea or loose stools from it.
But I have not taken more than a total of 600mg per day, which is not much I guess.
I am not sure but magnesium citrate in the same dose seemed to have a loose stool effect on me.
I love the idea of increasing stomach acid as im hypothyroid with slow transit time. Maybe magnesium chloride is a good choice for me?

lilsticky

I’m about to try magnesium oxide.

Bicarbonate loses effect for me. When I first discovered it I thought I had come across the best magnesium supplement ever. Very very sedating and every muscle in my body felt absorbed in it. But that effect totally went away after doing it ten times +. The liquid was also a pain. I already drink enough fluids, and taking it late at night meant more fluid at a time of day when I didn’t really want it.

Magnesium malate was ok I guess. Just felt like magnesium chloride. A dull feeling. Might have aided in sleep, but hard to tell.

Magnesium citrate, I could feel the effects psychologically and a relaxation in my muscles (very pleasant). But there’s a thin line in dosage between those effects and a certain threshold, where the obvious side effect then occurs.

Magnoil (although not oral), remains the best one I’ve tried yet. It’s just too expensive for me. Even though it’s one of their cheaper supplements I just can’t justify spending $30 per month on it (alongside my other supplements).

i think you make oil with mag sulphate in distilled water. much cheaper

Motif

Chloride gives me horrible histamine symptoms.
Same for potassium chloride.

OP
ImprovingDaily
Yes. Magnesium Carbonate is awesome. It has better relaxation effects than Glycinate, and the threshold for diarrhea is higher with Carbonate. Meaning, I can take more Magnesium without getting loose stools.

I don't take Magnesium on a daily basis as of lately, but that is because I think may be replete in it.

OP
ImprovingDaily
I love the idea of increasing stomach acid as im hypothyroid with slow transit time. Maybe magnesium chloride is a good choice for me?
I think Salt (Sodium Chloride), is a better choice. I up my Salt intake when my food is sitting in my stomach without digestion. It works pretty much 100% of the time

teds

Forum Supporter
Yes. Magnesium Carbonate is awesome. It has better relaxation effects than Glycinate, and the threshold for diarrhea is higher with Carbonate. Meaning, I can take more Magnesium without getting loose stools.

I don't take Magnesium on a daily basis as of lately, but that is because I think may be replete in it.
i've struggled to find Mg Carbonate without citric acid.. do you know of one without the CA?

miquelangeles

Not taking it every day, but I alternate between magnesium oxide and a supplement containing three forms of magnesium (magnesium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide and magnesium acetate). I find magnesium oxide more sedating.
The main benefit from either of them is that it speeds up my brain as well as improving my visual field and visual processing speed. Takes a fraction of a second to read and comprehend a chunk of text just by looking at it.

I know its frowned upon with this community but the only magnesium supplements i have ever felt anything from is oxide, chloride and citrate. Bicarbonate worked for about a week and i've never noticed any kind of effect from magnesium taurate. With supplements though it is a crapshoot of quality, so i may have just purchased dud brands. For instance, magnesium taurate can get pretty expensive, but i haven't thought to try any of the more pricy options

I've stuck with chloride as i feel the most benefit from that and it's the cheapest option too

Motif

I go by taste. I grab a cup of water, and slowly add salt until it tastes pleasantly salty. You don't want to do too much because it'll taste nasty and will give watery stools.
Never experienced something like this, even when I took two teaspoons of pure salt ?