What Is The Best Form Of Oral Magnesium That You've Taken?

I'm looking for an alternative to my Magnesium Glycinate. It's a bit hit or miss for me, sometimes I feel it does something, other times I don't. What are your guys' and gals' experiences with different form of Magnesium?

Frankdee20

Magnesium Glycinate is gentle on the gut, but is only 14 percent elemental magnesium by weight... These days, it’s better to opt for a product with at least 3 different versions...

I’ve used - Glycinate, Taurate, Malate mixture....

I’ve used - Citrate, Malate, Krebs Cycle mixture....

I’ve used - Oxide, Glycinate, Malate mixture (my favorite one)...

I’ve used - Chloride and Acetate (causes too much HCL acid)....

Pure Citrate is too much of a laxative
Pure Oxide seemed to be the same ...

I’ve used - Gluconate, Aspartate, Citrate, Malate mixture (4 types in a powder)..

OP
ImprovingDaily
Magnesium Glycinate is gentle on the gut, but is only 14 percent elemental magnesium by weight... These days, it’s better to opt for a product with at least 3 different versions...

I’ve used - Glycinate, Taurate, Malate mixture....

I’ve used - Citrate, Malate, Krebs Cycle mixture....

I’ve used - Oxide, Glycinate, Malate mixture (my favorite one)...

I’ve used - Chloride and Acetate (causes too much HCL acid)....

Pure Citrate is too much of a laxative
Pure Oxide seemed to be the same ...

I’ve used - Gluconate, Aspartate, Citrate, Malate mixture (4 types in a powder)..
Interesting. Thank you. Once this Mag Glycinate runs out I'm gonna try a mixture product as well. Seems like the best of a few worlds.

Sefton10

Interesting. I've actually seen quite a few people say that that is the best way to get Magnesium. Seems like it would be pretty practical and cheap too.
Carbonate works well for me. I have a teaspoon 3 times a day dissolved in a little ACV then add OJ or pineapple juice. Cheap and easy.

OP
ImprovingDaily
I ordered some Magnesium Carbonate, should be here friday, I'll update as soon as I get a good feel for its effects. Appreciate everyones input :D

Korven

Can confirm that magnesium bicarbonate is awesome:
  • Super cheap
  • Convenient way to get an additional 500-600 mg per day (really who wants to take 8 magnesium pills?)
  • No gut irritation/good absorption with high doses
  • Noticeable mood-lifting and pro-metabolic effect (unlike magnesium chelates)
  • Makes a tasty refreshing drink...
I just wonder why I've spent so much money on subpar, crappy magnesium pills. I'm quite happy to throw my fishy smelling magnesium glycinate in the trash and ride the bicarbonate train into the sunset instead. Goes great with coffee as mentioned above!

Just dump some magnesium carbonate/hydroxide in carbonated water, shake it up, put in fridge for 1 hour, done.

Arnold Grape

@Arnold Grape and @Korven have either of you noticed if you need to drink the Mg bicarb water so many minutes before eating or needing to wait for some time after?
I typically do not eat in the time before or after I have taken bicarbonate — sometimes I add it to a small amount of juice. I only take this occasionally bc I think it depletes you of electrolytes if you use of everyday.

Korven

@Recoen Having mag bicarbonate between meals works fine for me! Usually don't drink anything during or 1-2 hours after meals to avoid diluting stomach acid

Geronimo

I'm really liking Milk of Magnesia, Magnesium hydroxide. It gets things moving and makes me feel good. I probably don't get any cellular Magnesium from it, but it really clears me out and makes me feel good. Considering how many forms of magnesium cause diarrhea, I've come to the conclusion that one of dietary magnesium's major physiological roles is to make you poop. I believe it to be a fundamental function, not a side effect.

stackz07

Micromag from nootropicsdepot is incredible. It's wrapped in a lipid so you absorb all of it. I've gotten zero gi discomfort and can FEEL it when I take it. Super relaxing if i take too much and energizing if I get the dose just right. Incredible for sleep. My memory is better with their magtein as well.

Experienced

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan try Magnesium Pidolate it`s literally insane. it works very nicely and 8.888 percent bioavailability.