What is the argument Peat makes for having a high RHR?

I ask because when do I small amounts of low intensity cardio mixed with my heavy weight lifting, I have a much lower resting heartrate and less acne (so presumably less cortisol over all).

But when my RHR is in the upper 70s or higher during times of less cardio, I'm usually having more acne, more heart burn, and I sleep less well.

So what's the deal with RHR, Peat seems to say that higher is better, but most athletes I know have an RHR in the 40s-60s.

TheSir

There are different reasons for one to have high/low RHR, some of which point to poor health and others which do not. Cardio will have the same effect as breathwork in that it will improve the baseline oxygenation of the whole body by increasing co2 tolerance (a very healthy thing). As such, the heart will not have to put in as much effort in order to ensure that the whole body is properly oxygenated. High heart rate can be a sign of a metabolism that is running at a high rate, but this in itself may not always be desirable. The key, in my opinion, is to increase metabolic efficiency, so that the body can achieve the greatest amount of things with the least amount of effort. Hence the central question when analyzing changes in RHR is whether it coincides with increased or reduced wellbeing.

To actually answer your question: I'm not sure if Peat's stance is as much that RHR should be high as it is that low RHR coinciding with low temperature is a strong biomarker of hypothyroidism (those more knowledgeable about Peat's views can correct me).

OP
K
To actually answer your question: I'm not sure if Peat's stance is as much that RHR should be high as it is that low RHR coinciding with low temperature is a strong biomarker of hypothyroidism (those more knowledgeable about Peat's views can correct me).
That helps make sense of it.

My temperature used to be in the 97s, I've managed to increase it to the upper 98's lately, but my HR seems high due to a bit of work/economic stress + lack of cardio from having the flu followed by the cold in Jan and Feb.

opethfeldt

Being sedentary can promote a high resting heart rate. This wouldn't be healthy, though. What Peat is speaking of is bringing the resting heart rate up through proper metabolism and thyroid. While exercise is generally beneficial, endurance exercise tends to make people hypothyroid and it's been mentioned here that some athletes have to be treated for the condition, despite having excellent objective athletic performance.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I had been very fit and athletic when I was was in college, and everyone praised my 40-50 bpm resting heart rate.

As I got older and more sedentary, instead of my heart rate going up, my resting went down to 35-40 bpm. I had hypothyroid symptoms all along since the lean and fit days, but I didn't know better.

Now that I've been taking thyroid, I am still sedentary and overweight, but my heart rate is around 55-80.

Cow

I am not an athlete but walk or trampoline every day and lift some weights occasionally. My resting heart rate is 50-55. While exercising it will go up over 100, but quickly comes back down as soon as I stop. I'm about 15 pounds overweight (152 56YO female). My body temperatures are normal.

My only thyroid panel that is out of range is a TSH of 4.2. I tried Armour thyroid at various points in my life, and very briefly T3, and I tried Armour again early this year, but I always stop cuz I've never felt very good taking it, and I tend to feel quite good when I am not taking it, so I don't see the point unless there is some danger to having the low heart rate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals