What is it that actually fails in the body the moment you become hypothyroid as a result of chronic stress?

FitnessMike

That might sound like a silly question for some, but what actually goes wrong when you become hypothyroid induced by stress?

Is it thyroid getting physically damaged if stress is chronic?

Why so many struggling with recovering their under active thyroid?

BearWithMe

Following with interest.

My uneducated guess would be that cortisol damages the thyroid gland in the same fashion it catabolises muscle.

lampofred

I don't know if thyroid gets damaged. I think it's protectively downregulated for possibly two reasons 1) insufficient carbs and protein, so metabolism is down regulated to prevent you from eating up your own body tissue and 2) too much PUFA, which breaks down rapidly and causes damage in the presence of heat, so body lowers thyroid in order to keep things cool

But RP says after a certain point the hypometabolism becomes more damaging than the stress itself, which is why he recommendeds taking thyroid to break out of the bad loop.

TheSir

Just about anything can go wrong as a result of stress, and just about anything that can go wrong can result in symptoms of hypothyroidism. It's rarely one singular thing that fails, rather, your whole body begins to fail together, since organs and glands are interdependent on the functioning of each other. People are struggling with fixing their symptoms because they're only focused on fixing their symptoms. Often they have no real idea what's the most underlying cause of their continued distress.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I don't know if thyroid gets damaged. I think it's protectively downregulated for possibly two reasons 1) insufficient carbs and protein, so metabolism is down regulated to prevent you from eating up your own body tissue and 2) too much PUFA, which breaks down rapidly and causes damage in the presence of heat, so body lowers thyroid in order to keep things cool

But RP says after a certain point the hypometabolism becomes more damaging than the stress itself, which is why he recommendeds taking thyroid to break out of the bad loop
If its only down regulation, that would indicate that we can up regulate thyroid function no matter how badly it gets?

gaze

If its only down regulation, that would indicate that we can up regulate thyroid function no matter how badly it gets?
the problem is there's a million different things out there that keep it down regulated, which keeps you in a downward spiral. allergens in the food, pufa, added iron, bad jobs, low vitamin d, nutrient deficiencies, protein deficiency, life stress, bad bacteria, yeast infections, radiation, emf, heavy metals. not only does low thyroid make you more reactionary to these, but all those also lower thyroid. so it's a double whammy. it's not very easy to uprregulate it when it's already really poor

Dr. B

Following with interest.

My uneducated guess would be that cortisol damages the thyroid gland in the same fashion it catabolises muscle.
it is likely some cortisol related effect... when my thyroid function was poor/cortisol was high... my reproductive organs shrank a lot, as well as likely thyroid, and even the eyes were smaller and shrunken looking

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

it is likely some cortisol related effect... when my thyroid function was poor/cortisol was high... my reproductive organs shrank a lot, as well as likely thyroid, and even the eyes were smaller and shrunken looking
do you believe that this thyroid hormones deficiency is temporary in most cases? i know that Ray says that after a year or so of supplementation and optimal health one should be able to come off but this seems to be very individual.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

bump

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Probably the liver.
there has to be happening something with the thyroid directly, it is supposed to heal, but some peoples cant come off of the thyroid after they are well for a while, maybe even most of the peoples

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

bump

Ben.

there has to be happening something with the thyroid directly, it is supposed to heal, but some peoples cant come off of the thyroid after they are well for a while, maybe even most of the peoples

I often wonder if a person who requires a exogenous manmade chemical indefinitely in therapheutic dosages can actually be considered "well". If full healing did take place then the medication shoudn't be required? No? That would just be my opinion/idea of healing.

One could argue the tissue is already damaged so much that unless magically or randomly healed/regenerated the manmade interventions are needed/required.
Some one else would maybe trowh in the idea that there is so much toxic garbage in our environment that the chornic use might just be inevetable for everyone.

There could be many factors that both cause damage and/or prevent the healing. If anything i've learned that health/healing is rarely simple/easy. Ironically if the right things at the right time fall into place ... it might just be that ... easy.

I coudn't realy add much as to why/how specifically in regards to your opening question, sorry. I see myself out.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

im thinking if someone just finds out that his hypothyroid, and ft4 is high with high reverse t3 and low t3, i wonder if just correcting the stress , sorting out rt3 and staying on meds for awhile should be enough to get back on track with natural production. I think nemo was taking tyromix but eventually she stopped, but i have to check her posts again to confirm

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Yes, i have 2 liters of milk a day, few eggs a day, organic chicken breast daily and more.

I think if your system get out of whack completely and this whole mess puts so much more stress on you its hard to tolerate thyroid meds and lower rt3, but now started with one drop of tyromix and see slow improvements in pulse and symptoms during last few days

GreekDemiGod

One could argue the tissue is already damaged so much that unless magically or randomly healed/regenerated the manmade interventions are needed/required.
What kind of tissue damage are you talking about? AFAIK, the thyroid does not get damaged, except in the case of autoimmune induced hypothyroidism.
The majority of cases are secondary hypothyroidism, from poor liver or digestion…

Ben.

What kind of tissue damage are you talking about? AFAIK, the thyroid does not get damaged, except in the case of autoimmune induced hypothyroidism.
The majority of cases are secondary hypothyroidism, from poor liver or digestion…

Every tissue/cell can be damaged. How do you know poor liver/digestion didn't come as a result from a host of possible causes that damages/intereferes with the thyroid organ? I don't believe its that black or white, both ideas are possible i think. I do not realy like nor do i see much truth in our typical "medical-catalog" understanding of health issues due to its limitations.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

would be interesting what Ray and @haidut and others think about it.

whether that is liver failing proper conversion, or thyroid got damaged we know these are reversible, i really just hope to one day sort this where i dont need meds

ironfist

I have heard that when you take testosterone, your body shuts down its own production and it's very hard to get off.

Is the same true about thyroid?