What is it that actually fails in the body the moment you become hypothyroid as a result of chronic stress?

FitnessMike

That might sound like a silly question for some, but what actually goes wrong when you become hypothyroid induced by stress?

Is it thyroid getting physically damaged if stress is chronic?

Why so many struggling with recovering their under active thyroid?

BearWithMe

Following with interest.

My uneducated guess would be that cortisol damages the thyroid gland in the same fashion it catabolises muscle.

lampofred

I don't know if thyroid gets damaged. I think it's protectively downregulated for possibly two reasons 1) insufficient carbs and protein, so metabolism is down regulated to prevent you from eating up your own body tissue and 2) too much PUFA, which breaks down rapidly and causes damage in the presence of heat, so body lowers thyroid in order to keep things cool

But RP says after a certain point the hypometabolism becomes more damaging than the stress itself, which is why he recommendeds taking thyroid to break out of the bad loop.

TheSir

Just about anything can go wrong as a result of stress, and just about anything that can go wrong can result in symptoms of hypothyroidism. It's rarely one singular thing that fails, rather, your whole body begins to fail together, since organs and glands are interdependent on the functioning of each other. People are struggling with fixing their symptoms because they're only focused on fixing their symptoms. Often they have no real idea what's the most underlying cause of their continued distress.

FitnessMike

I don't know if thyroid gets damaged. I think it's protectively downregulated for possibly two reasons 1) insufficient carbs and protein, so metabolism is down regulated to prevent you from eating up your own body tissue and 2) too much PUFA, which breaks down rapidly and causes damage in the presence of heat, so body lowers thyroid in order to keep things cool

But RP says after a certain point the hypometabolism becomes more damaging than the stress itself, which is why he recommendeds taking thyroid to break out of the bad loop
If its only down regulation, that would indicate that we can up regulate thyroid function no matter how badly it gets?

gaze

If its only down regulation, that would indicate that we can up regulate thyroid function no matter how badly it gets?
the problem is there's a million different things out there that keep it down regulated, which keeps you in a downward spiral. allergens in the food, pufa, added iron, bad jobs, low vitamin d, nutrient deficiencies, protein deficiency, life stress, bad bacteria, yeast infections, radiation, emf, heavy metals. not only does low thyroid make you more reactionary to these, but all those also lower thyroid. so it's a double whammy. it's not very easy to uprregulate it when it's already really poor

Mr.Bollox

Following with interest.

My uneducated guess would be that cortisol damages the thyroid gland in the same fashion it catabolises muscle.
it is likely some cortisol related effect... when my thyroid function was poor/cortisol was high... my reproductive organs shrank a lot, as well as likely thyroid, and even the eyes were smaller and shrunken looking

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Learned helplessness is actually backwards, helplessness is innate in mammals and does not have to be learned, helpfulness is what is actually learned Scientific Studies 1
haidut Fasting ineffective for shrinking belly fat, may actually increase it Scientific Studies 4
R Beta-alanine actually works for the burn during exercise (lactic acid) Amino Acids 11
yerrag Please... I'm wracking my brain... but pls. give me an instance our miltary actually defended its people. Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 10
koreus Your Textbooks Are Wrong, This Is What Cells Actually Look Like Articles & Scientific Studies 7
Opioidus Is There A Medication That Actually Antagonizes Estrogen? Male Issues 15
J How Much Dietary Fat Do You Actually Need For Hormones? Thyroid and Hormones 18
haidut Many "inert" Additives In Drugs And Food Are Actually Active And Toxic Scientific Studies 4
Hgreen56 Has Anyone Ever Actually Heard Dr Peat Recommend A High Carb Diet? Diet 64
Hans Why Intermittent Fasting Actually Works (it’s Not What You Think) Articles & Scientific Studies 41
haidut The World Might Actually Run Out Of People Scientific Studies 17
E Aldosterone Actually Decreases Sodium Scientific Studies 6
haidut "Anti-aging" Hormone (hGH) May Actually Shorten Life Scientific Studies 4
metabolizm What Elevated Serotonin Actually Feels Like Mental Issues 42
F UK Telegraph: Lack Of Evidence Lockdowns Actually Worked Is World Scandal Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 7
johnwester130 Only About 10% Of The Population Are Actually Human Society 3
tankasnowgod Q Anon Has Said "You Are Watching A Movie." But COVID-19 Is Actually A TV Episode Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 4
M 'The CDC Is Actually A Vaccine Company' – Robert F. Kennedy Jr Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 13
jzeno Red Light: Does Anyone Actually Enjoy Red Brooder Heat Lamps More Than The LED Infrared Lights? Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 31
Giraffe Covid-19: Is Any Country Actually Doing Science? Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 37
RealNeat What If The Government Does Actually Care About Us And Wants To Save Lives? Society 2
R Dr. Fauci Himself Says COVID-19 May Actually Be No More Worse Than "the Flu" Articles & Newsletters 12
haidut Exposure To Fluoride Actually Damages Teeth, Even At Low Concentrations Scientific Studies 3
B Are Any Of You Actually Falling For This Coronavirus Fear Mongering Nonsense? Ask For Help or Advice 47
Peatogenic If Endotoxin Isn't Under Control, Can't Anti Estrogen/cortisol Efforts Actually Increase Them? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 35
Peatogenic Do You Think Supplementary Efforts At Increasing Metabolism Or Immunity Can Actually Suppress Them? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
Tarmander Has Anyone Actually Tried 1 Cup Of AC For 10 Days Per Month? Digestion 24
M Lysine Actually Increases Serotonin, Please Read Lysine 2
Orangeyouglad Help Figuring Out Labs - Actually Low Estrogen? Ask For Help or Advice 11
haidut Aspirin Actually Decreases Risk Of Bleeding In The Brain Scientific Studies 5
David PS Why Some Sugar Is Actually Good For You, & Methylene Blue Too W/ Georgi Dinkov Video Interviews 6
jzeno Unpopular Opinion: I Think Some Of Ray's Ideas Are Just Not Helpful And Actually Make Matters Worse Miscellaneous Health Discussions 296
J Anyone Actually Had Success With Curing Peyronies ? Or Similar Penile Issues ? Male Issues 0
Repas du soir Does Activated Charcoal Actually Whiten Teeth? Oral Health 2
B [!]How To Actually Test If Megadosing K2,D3, Magnesium, Etc. Improves Bone Density Or Is Broscience Vitamins 9
F Does Lowering Estrogen Actually Help Male Sexual Function? Sexuality 41
haidut The War On Cancer Is A Bust - No Real Progress And Actually A Regress Scientific Studies 63
haidut The "Global Warming" Is Actually A Cooling And Is Due To Solar EMF Changes Scientific Studies 86
S Can Boobs Actually Grow In Adulthood? Sexuality 34
Hans Zinc Is Useful Against HIV (any Infection Actually), Cancer And Tumors Minerals 17
S Sugar May Actually Protect The Brain From Dementia Mental Issues 2
johnwester130 Milk Is Low In Tryptophan. Actually It Has An Equal Amount To Glycine Diet, Recipes 4
M Does Ray Peat Actually Say Here That High LDL Can Be Bad? Cholesterol 9
ddjd Do Men Actually Need High Testosterone For Good Health? Ask For Help or Advice 31
Obi-wan Is Supplementing Vit E Actually Bad For You? E 296
haidut Biotin Can Actually Raise T4 And Lower TSH Scientific Studies 16
D Does This Mean That I Am Actually Allergic To Orange? Beverages, Fruits, Sugars 7
ddjd Are Solid, Regular Errections Actually A Good Marker Of Health? Ask For Help or Advice 49
kayumochi Eating Cheese Every Day May Actually Be Good For You Cheese 0
R Can Choline Deficiency Actually Increase Cholinergic Activity? Articles & Scientific Studies 2