What Is Hunger - Why We're Hungry

nbznj

Looks like this guy is all about micro nutrients and satiation, and I feel like that's where the key to long term health is.

Video Of My AHS 2012 Presentation: “What Is Hunger, and Why Are We Hungry?” – J. Stanton

Less arbitrary calories and macros intake, more vitamins and minerals. As a test - I've experienced great satiation and felt warmer when drinking those all-in-one gainer formulas supplemented with a truckload of B vitamins and every mineral under the sun. Whereas drinking trash gainer formulas (dextrose, no supplements included) would leave my hands ice cold no matter how many calories I'll force down.

More here: What Is Hunger, and Why Are We Hungry? J. Stanton’s AHS 2012 Presentation, Including Slides

I'm convinced it's possible to get MUCH more from eating less. Livers, seafood, eggs, potatoes, black rice, B complex supplements...

SOMO

Protein is the most satiating macro.

That goes for all protein, including plant, dairy or meat.

Basically if you overindulged in protein, including easily digested, liquid protein like Whey/Casein powder you will feel bloated and full.
Same thing with eating a large amount of chicken breast or even a small amount of steak.

All fiber retains water in the intestine producing the sensation of fullness.

Hunger is a sensation of absence of food in the intestine.

Simply drinking water will reduce hunger because of the sensation of fullness in the intestine.

I very rarely feel hungry even if my first meal is at 6pm and this is likely because the food I eat is nutrient dense and I tend to eat high protein.

Last edited:

lampofred

I think on a technical biological level, hunger is running on FFA instead of glucose. Sadly many people today have never experienced true satiety and their entire lives have been ones of starvation.

redsun

I'm convinced it's possible to get MUCH more from eating less. Livers, seafood, eggs, potatoes, black rice, B complex supplements...

Yes, no surprise that a whole foods based diet will lead to eating less because of nutrient density. That's the name of the game for your brain. Everytime I have eaten out in the past at a fast food joint(especially one's where food is low quality but made super tasty like McDs) I can eat a crap ton and still end up hungry later in the day. Fast food joints that have higher protein foods are actually a lot better at satiation. As SOMO said, protein is the most satiating macronutrient. So if your diet is based around proteins you will eat less and be better off assuming your proteins are things like meat, eggs, seafood, and not string cheese and chicken nuggets.

redsun

What is wrong with string cheese?

Nothing in particular, its simply a relatively low nutrient density food. Its main micros is calcium, phosphorus, and sodium. That's literally it and some B12 and vitamin A if you eat enough of it. Having some isnt bad but as a source of nutrition it isnt that great. Cheese isnt great as a main source of protein and nutrients in general but string cheese is even worse.

I think on a technical biological level, hunger is running on FFA instead of glucose. Sadly many people today have never experienced true satiety and their entire lives have been ones of starvation.
Why then keto or fasting shut hunger off completely. After 3 days of fasting there is no hunger at all. Never. Unless you start to eat carbs again.

boris

@methylenewhite cortisol suppresses hunger feeling.

I made the same experience as @lampofred wrote. My liver glycogen is depleted super fast. Usually 3-5 hours at the moment. I feel it immediately because I get something similar to a hot flash when under stress hormones (cheeks start to get warm).

When I lay in bed in the morning and don‘t stand up to eat and drink immediately, I will first:
-slowy get the „crampy“ hunger feeling in my stomach.
-When I keep ignoring it will last for about 10-30 minutes.
-Then the „hot flash“ starts
-Then the hunger feeling dissipates slowly and stays away for several hours....

It‘s not a satiated feeling, it‘s just the hunger fades away.