What Is Everyone Doing For Minerals?

cyclops

If I go by Jack Kruse, I think he looks unhealthy from his seafood diet. Another example, Zinc is androgenic but pumpkin seeds have an anti-androgenic property yet they are recommended as a source of Zinc.

I agree with much of what you say, but I think Jack Kruse is also a low carber who eats lots of PUFA via seafood and Pumpkin Seeds aren't recommenced by Peat probably in part due to what you're saying.

I think real foods probably have benefits to them that we don't even fully understand yet vs isolated supplements. In my mind, it sucks that our food supply is so contaminated that supplements may sometimes seem to be the better choice.

Elephanto

@cyclops
I have this idea of the correlation between seafood and Kruse's looks in part from the fact that it was deemed an "unclean food" in the Bible. I hypothesized that there was a rational reason behind this claim and that through the years people had observed negative effects on health from eating them. The mechanisms I found are convincing enough for me to largely avoid it.

I do have the first approach of considering foods as a source of what I want to get. I pretty much only supplement it when I find drawbacks to all the sources I'm looking into. Since a lot of phytonutrients/unique properties of foods have both positive and negative effects (including some recommended by Peat like oranges and milk), I often find that I get net benefits on looks when I consume them a little but not a lot (as if I were if I aimed to use it as a source of a specific substance). So I also supplement to add rather than replace, in the objective of minimizing drawbacks of each food.

Another thing I learned through the years which makes me not rely on supps much or obsess about the RDA, is that some actions and avoiding certain things/actions contribute a lot more to my health and looks than any supp can. Things like regular cardio/movement, proper breathing technique, reducing the frequency of ejaculation, avoiding serotogenic, estrogenic and gut-irritating substances and most importantly, minimizing mental stress by will. Although I feel like having used certain supps in the past (like the hair protocol I did which had high doses) put me in a whole different situation than I was into younger and changed my personality in some ways to seek calmness and find it more easily. Things like a gross Zinc/Copper imbalance can pretty much define one's life and are hard to overcome unless directly adressed.

And I agree that foods probably have properties that modern western science can't identify. I like to learn from Traditional Chinese Medicine as well.

Last edited:

Elephanto

Biochemical Individuality - Williams, Roger J. -- Internet Archive
If I'm not wrong, it's one of the foundations for the orthomolecular approach.
I mean realistically almost no one is getting the RDA on every single vitamins and minerals, yet their health vary between poor and great and I would value many other factors before this one to explain their health status. The substances also vastly vary in importance and probably in their optimal frequencies of consumption. Observing myself, it doesn't seem to matter much to get everything daily instead of more or less every 3-4 days (tackling different stuff different days). The idea that the body is designed to be resplenished every 24 hours in everything seems arbritary. An instance that interests me since it relates to hair is that IGFBP-3, an important marker of mpb, is only reduced in prolonged folate deficiency. I think it took months before this apparent sign of damage appeared. On the other hand, there are certain mechanisms of folate that I think could contribute to mpb when it is supplemented in excess (but not a great excess is required imo). Some have to do with Nitric Oxide and methylation.

Other thoughts on this :
1. The healthiest looking people I know don't average the RDA on everything, or on barely anything. There has to be way more important factors.
2. There was this large study that found multivitamins usage doesn't improve health. Realistically, people who don't use multivits don't average the RDA on "everything". There are possibly other factors that could explain this study but I would think that if it's so bad for health to not average the RDA on everything, it's probable that we would have seen a net beneficial effect.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

The food he mentions probably contributes to a greater accumulation of contaminants than what a few capsules a day could do. Seafood is usually high in metalloestrogens/heavy metals and nowadays, likely to be high in microplastics and other endocrine disruptors. HFCS has been often found to be high in Mercury and cane sugar isn't much better in terms of purity. Organs like liver and kidneys are where metalloestrogens concentrate the most in meat. As such a lactovegetarian diet found a 40% decrease in Lead concentrations in humans, compared to an omnivorous diet. I'm almost certain that most Vit A supps are purer than eating liver. I don't understand the rationality that food should be cleaner/safer sources, any food is just as likely to be contaminated and they are taken in much greater quantity than supps which could reflect a greater potential for amount of contaminants. And I personally never had a bad reaction with a supp that could be explained by contaminants. Only stuff like taking too much Mag Citrate at once since citric acid is harsh on the gut; a similar effect I got with lemon water. That said, I do avoid Vit C supps because of Peat's comment, though I'm also not interested in high doses since it potentiates Nitric Oxide release. Certain substances/supps can also mitigate this by optimizing our ways of detoxification, and I've found from experience that a lot of substances give just as much benefits when taken once a week or so compared to daily; I don't think the RDA is an objective truth.

Do you have a source for the assertion that heavy metals tend to accumulate in organ meats?

Elephanto

Do you have a source for the assertion that heavy metals tend to accumulate in organ meats?

The study where dropping meat results in 47% decrease in Lead, 25% in Mercury and 24% in Cadmium that lasted for 3 years after going back on meat :
Trace element status in healthy subjects switching from a mixed to a lactovegetarian diet for 12 mo. - PubMed - NCBI

Bioavailability of heavy metals higher in meat than vegetables and also where adding Kale to pork kidney inhibits Cadmium absorption.
Cadmium bioavailability from vegetable and animal-based foods assessed with in vitro digestion/caco-2 cell model. - PubMed - NCBI

There's a bunch of studies if you search for "organ meat or liver or kidney + Lead or Cadmium or Nickel or Aluminium". Some examples :
the levels of lead in livers are relatively high.
Arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury in meat, livers and kidneys of sheep slaughtered in The Netherlands. - PubMed - NCBI
The cadmium levels in kidneys and livers of turkeys increased with age
In MDPM prepared from backs (including the kidneys) and necks, elevated cadmium concentrations were found.
Health risk assessment of zinc, chromium, and nickel from cow meat consumption in an urban Nigerian population
Of the tissues analyzed, liver and kidney accumulate both cadmium and lead, and cadmium especially persists in these organs for long periods. Bone is the primary site of deposition for lead but not cadmium.
Accumulation and depletion of cadmium and lead in tissues and milk of lactating cows fed small amounts of these metals. - PubMed - NCBI

Posted some of them here if you're interested reading more about Cadmium :
Cadmium On The Regulatory Mechanism Of Dopamine And Serotonin On Prolactin Secretion In Male Rats

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals