What Is "adequate Protein"?

4peatssake

messtafarian said:
I just ordered Great Lakes Gelatin but I think I'm confused about it. In most nutrition calculators it says that one envelope of regular gelatin has seven grams of protein. That means you'd have to eat 14 packets of gelatin a day to eat a hundred grams of gelatin. That is 56 servings of Jello right there. I can basically get in like maybe three packets a day at the most. It does sound like a superfood, I just can't figure out how to eat enough of it.
1 TB of Great Lakes Gelatin contains 6 grams of protein.
Did you order the green can? If so, you can add it to cold drinks as well. It works great in iced coffee/lattes and/or OJ.

Many of us have hot coffee, milk, sugar and gelatin as a meal. It is best to eat small, frequent meals and they should contain protein, carbs and fat to keep blood sugar balanced.

If you have gut/digestive issues, I suggest making bone broth and you may wish to try Ray Peat's Protein Potato Soup. These are both great, and easy to digest, sources of quality protein. I had to learn about quality protein because chicken breasts and muscle meat had been my main protein sources for years.

I use 1 TB of gelatin per cup of coffee (I have about 4 cups a day, sometimes more) and when I make iced coffee I make a double cup and use 2 or 3 TB. J's advice to introduce gelatin slowly is wise, although I didn't have any digestive issues with gelatin thankfully and now eat a ton of it. It is also wise to add each new food or supplement on its own so you can monitor your reaction to each new thing.

Going slow and steady is encouraged but it is important to have the correct information and know your targets. Getting sufficient, quality protein is an important goal.

Ray Peat said:
When too little protein, or the wrong kind of protein, is eaten, there is a stress reaction, with thyroid suppression. Many of the people who don't respond to a thyroid supplement are simply not eating enough good protein.

Mittir

In KMUD: Blood Pressure Regulation Heart Failure and Muscle Atrophy RP discussed protein requirement.
He said that low calorie diet and low thyroid turn down metabolism so body does not use muscle protein for energy.
Then he added that just a fairly slight protein deficiency will cause thyroid to slow down defensively.
Low thyroid lowers livers ability to detoxify estrogen .
Increased estrogen will block secretion of thyroid hormone. A vicious cycle.
Liver needs Vitamin B1, B2 and protein to deactivate estrogen.
My experience is that there is a huge a difference between 70 grams of protein
and 80 grams of protein. I was getting around 70 grams of protein for a while and i was thinking
it is very close to 80. I saw a big improvement once i made sure that i get at least
80 grams of protein. I was on 100 grams for a while. it felt great but there was too much
tryptophan for me. I can not tolerate gelatin.
Protein should be taken with good amount of sugar, other wise this protein will be used as energy.
Low fat fish, Meat , Cottage cheese can be great source of protein.
1 quart of OJ has 7 grams of protein. RP also commented that we do have
craving for sugar when glycogen is depleted but it does not happen when we are
lacking protein. So we really cant not rely on our craving to fulfill protein requirement.

Philomath

I ate about three cups of Fage Greek yogurt, a cheese stick, 1/2 cup of coffee, one cup ice cream and about 7 small squares of thin crust pizza. Finished the day at 127 grams protein. It's the yogurt.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Philomath said:
I ate about three cups of Fage Greek yogurt, a cheese stick, 1/2 cup of coffee, one cup ice cream and about 7 small squares of thin crust pizza. Finished the day at 127 grams protein. It's the yogurt.
Eating my first serving of Fage yogurt right now with honey on top. Yum! :hattip

narouz

Philomath said:

I know...Fage Greek yoghurt (drained when warm! :) ) was a great way for me to get the Peat-volume good protein,too.

I had worries, still (even after draining) about the lactic acid,
so I switched to cottage cheese.

Probably shouldn't worry.
Both are probably good, on balance.
There are lactic acid concerns with cottage cheese too...

Philomath

I know. I try to add even more honey to compensate. I don't know if that makes it any better though.

Philomath

By the way, when I "press" it through a coffee filter, it comes out looking like a soft farmers cheesee

narouz

Philomath said:
By the way, when I "press" it through a coffee filter, it comes out looking like a soft farmers cheesee

I was surprised how much liquid drained off the Fage
when I let it warm to room temperature up on its side.
Barely any when refrigerator temp,
but a lot when room temperature.

How do you use the coffee filter, Phil?
Just let it set on top of it?

Philomath

I use the standard shaped filter, not the cone style. I just put 100-200 grams in the filter and pull the sides together like a fat taco. You can only squeeze gently because the filter will tear easily.

kevinjohore

> Ray Peat recommends a minimum of 80 grams of protein and personally favors a high protein diet.

I sent out Peat's article "Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging" to some email pals.

One of them responded: Ben defends the use of synthetic amino acids, on the grounds that the body itself cannot directly absorb protein but must use protese enzymes to kind-of synthesize proteins anyway.

Ben also likes the mainstream view that:
"Serotonin is a neuro transmitter that helps us cope and be happy. rebutt
No serotonin = misery"

Here is his full rebuttal:

--start--
I'm not too sure about the claim adults can absorb whole proteins.

The stomach secretes protease as does bits of the gut further down. The
protease splits proteins into peptides and sometimes splits the peoptides
into amino acids

Think about it: The entire function of genes is to code for protein
synthesis. We synthesise the specific protein we need for muscle, which is
different to the proteins in the lipoproteins of cell walls, which are
different to the huge array of different proteins in the immune system and
antibodies. Each time we meet a new antigen, we synthesize a relevant
antibody protein. These have to be synthised one amino acid at a time.
Absorbing whole protein molecules would put the organism into a position
of having no raw materials with which to synthesise proteins

You will have eaten chicken breast meat. Consumers all marvel at the size
of the breast fillets in the supermarkets. To build that muscle, for
muscle is what it is, requires amino acids in fixed proportions. Because
these are not available in grains or even meat meals, lysine is routinely
added. The argument they are not readily absorbed is equally incorrect
inasmuch as it is easy to run a study showing the extra breast yield from
adding lysine. Nutritionists working with nutrition work with digestible
amino acid levels in the feed because although synthetic amino acids are
highly available, often the amino acids in proteins are locked, not easily
split by proteases and so are less available. To overcome this and attempt
to increase the efficiency of protein use, there is a growing practice to
add proteases to supplement the proteases naturally occurring in the
animal to try and make more complete the digestion of proteins down to a
form readily assimilated by the animal

Serotonin is a neuro transmitter that helps us cope and be happy. No
serotonin = misery

But he is correct about polyunsaturated fats. In the middle of last
century the US oilseed industry funded bull**** research to sell margarine
against butter. There is absolutely no health benefit in polyunsaturated
margarine and I personally choose not to eat a product full of emulsifiers
and colouring agents. Cows do it a whole lot better

Cortisol is a disaster if you are fighting a viral infection but is rather
useful if you are fighting a bacterial illness

Keep well
--end--

YuraCZ

From my bodybuilding, weight loss, health experience. I think minimum protein intake for average people is around 1g(from animal sources) for 1 kg of bodyweight and for very active people 2g for 1 kg of bodyweight.Maximum protein intake I see around 2,5g for 1 kg of bodyweight( If you are really hard working athlete, bodybuilder, lumberjack or something like that.)

Tom

YuraCZ said:
From my bodybuilding, weight loss, health experience. I think minimum protein intake for average people is around 1g(from animal sources) for 1 kg of bodyweight and for very active people 2g for 1 kg of bodyweight.Maximum protein intake I see around 2,5g for 1 kg of bodyweight( If you are really hard working athlete, bodybuilder, lumberjack or something like that.)

That seems reasonable. Still I think one can only utilize so much protein in one sitting/meal, maybe 40-50 gram max, the rest is turned into fats. I read in Staffan Lindebergs "Food and western disease" (p 41) that a sudden shift to an intake of over 200-300 grams per day (depending on the size of the person) can cause some serious problems.

http://www.paleopronow.com/image/data/C ... ective.pdf

YuraCZ

Tom said:
That seems reasonable. Still I think one can only utilize so much protein in one sitting/meal, maybe 40-50 gram max, the rest is turned into fats. I read in Staffan Lindebergs "Food and western disease" (p 41) that a sudden shift to an intake of over 200-300 grams per day (depending on the size of the person) can cause some serious problems.

It's nonsense.. It depends on many factors. So you want to tell me that 230 lbs muscular, lean man with high metabolic rate hungry after workout will utilize same amount of proteins as 110 lbs skinny fat woman with hypothyroidism ? I don't think so.. Like I said it depends.. :wink:

Tom

YuraCZ said:
Tom said:

It's nonsense.. It depends on many factors. So you want to tell me that 230 lbs muscular, lean man with high metabolic rate hungry after workout will utilize same amount of proteins as 110 lbs skinny fat woman with hypothyroidism ? I don't think so.. Like I said it depends.. :wink:

I was thinking about the average person I guess, it was something I read somewhere in relation to bodybuilders, and likely not nonsense. Please provide me with some info to studies etc showing exactly how much can be utilized, if you have. Thank you.

YuraCZ

Tom said:
YuraCZ said:
Tom said:

I was thinking about the average person I guess, it was something I read somewhere in relation to bodybuilders, and likely not nonsense. Please provide me with some info to studies etc showing exactly how much can be utilized, if you have. Thank you.
I don't know but if you talking about average person, then why you write about 200-300g of protein or something? Of course this amount of protein for inactive person can be damaging especially for the kidneys. But I recommend about 1g for 1 kg of BW for some average inactive person. So it's like 80g of protein for 80kg Joe.
" a sudden shift to an intake of over 200-300 grams per day (depending on the size of the person) can cause some serious problems."
Of course no question about that. But why would anyone do that? It doesn't make sense in connection with what I wrote in the first comment. You got it? :pray :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals